• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kilgour shut down their Savile Row store front.

Kilgour use to have RTW in the US (and Barney’s carries them until 2010, can’t believe that’s almost 10 years ago)? Anyone know what’s general status on Kilgour? I used to like their one button suit (though overlapped in aesethics with Richard James at the time).

edit never mind should read first...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, not out right closing..., by the way how's G&H's RTW, they have multiple lines as well, right?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, not out right closing..., by the way how's G&H's RTW, they have multiple lines as well, right?

Yes - one of those brands trying to offer something for everyone. Their recent 'Made in Italy' line has been good quality, although I always see these things as somewhat undermining the heritage that made the brand (e.g. Savile Row tailoring, usually of the structured kind).

The main issue with G&H is their ownership structure - part of Trinity Group, now controlled by Shandong Ruyi who are having some financial issues after going on an acquisition binge in recent years. And that was before the recent C-19 hit to the Chinese economy...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s the aesethics, still stick to structured jacket?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those discount versions of the luxury stores always seem like they're sacrificing long-term brand identity in exchange for short term profits. Kind of like diffusion lines, which seem to be going out of vogue these days.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those discount versions of the luxury stores always seem like they're sacrificing long-term brand identity in exchange for short term profits. Kind of like diffusion lines, which seem to be going out of vogue these days.
I used to visit our Barneys outlet here in DC area. Most of it was filler but some serious gems popped up occasionally from the main store. All that’s left in this area now is a Zegna outlet that actually has lots of mainline stuff.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess many stores try to increase their internet sales as they are forced to close their brick and mortar stores. If they give their staff an unpaid vacation 25 % off might be covered by saving pay Checks. Here in Norway the government has agreed to cover pay for the first 20 days of lock down.

It is very interesting times. Luckily it appears that activity in China has increased fast and is soon back to normal. With a bit of luck the actions taken will soon have effect and life can slowly go back to normal. In the mean time I am chanelling my social budget over to clothes as all pubs are closed. I was planning on several purchases from International web stores, but as our currency went down the drain with the Oil price I now look for local alternatives.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, no guarantee the virus won't pop back up again, might be in for the long hull...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, long haul. It will be with us for a while apparently. Might be a new normal in a way.

I told my kids after 9/11 (they were very young) to pay attention as they were living through a part of history that would be studied for years and years. It was unique. Then came Iraq and W's idiocies, the housing crash, endless wars, the Republicans going so crazy they elected Trump, now Covid-19.

This time period I asked them to pay attention to has yet to stop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads