• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys adding deeper discounts.

View attachment 1297937
Went on Sat and it was extra 15% at the store. Wife was commenting to me its amazing how much the atmosphere matters to lux shopping because just about everything looked like trash when the shelves are disheveled and merch is unattended to. Wonder what kind of deals they have with various designers because the signage says " we don't give a **** everything must go" but stuff like celine and Leowe is still full retail price.

Wife only picked up some stuff from the beauty area downstairs. I honestly think that's the only category where prices still surprise me. Two tiny boxes each with like a chicken nugget volume worth of lotion and it ran up to $400 after 30% off but apparently it was enough of a deal she was texting friends asking if they wanted to proxy.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To me Barney’s looked no worse than Saks on sale right now, that say a lot about my impression on Saks I suppose...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect some makers will not allow their stuff to be discounted or maybe Barneys is just holding out for a while longer. I noticed Loro Piana scarves were not on sale either. I bought my son some dress gloves there but have otherwise skipped the sale.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They probably purposely timed it right now they’re no more discount than some other online shop out there, I don’t buy John Lobb, but looking at pass it I saw some JL for -$800 ish

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been keeping my eye on the Frédéric Malle fragrances online, then a couple weeks ago I checked, and there was no inventory at all. Don't know about in-store, as I haven't checked here in San Francisco, but I suspect after the initial meager discounts, their contract with Malle required it all getting pulled or bought back?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience the last couple years in the Bay Area was that Barneys, Neimans and Saks all looked a bit messy around the Holidays. It sure took the luxury feel out of the shopping experience. It was more that they were simply selling stuff. I realize that the Holiday period is a bit crazy for retailers, but retail seems to now have little or no middle ground. To thrive you need to be the low-cost provider or offer an enjoyable or elevated experience. Along those lines, did you see where Nordstrom's NYC store has a bar in the middle of women's premium shoe department.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nordstrom went crazy on women’s part , it has like 7 restaurants? Nordstrom men’s has a coffee shop and definitely a lot smaller than women’s, I would not say the women part is layed out that well...

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience the last couple years in the Bay Area was that Barneys, Neimans and Saks all looked a bit messy around the Holidays. It sure took the luxury feel out of the shopping experience. It was more that they were simply selling stuff. I realize that the Holiday period is a bit crazy for retailers, but retail seems to now have little or no middle ground. To thrive you need to be the low-cost provider or offer an enjoyable or elevated experience. Along those lines, did you see where Nordstrom's NYC store has a bar in the middle of women's premium shoe department.

Not surprising. I don't know about Nordy's women's wear these days, but I find very little to nothing in the men's clothing and shoe selection that appeal to me at all. Seems like the last half-dozen years Nordstrom' s merchandise has been recalibrated for so much lowest-common denominator appeal.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
LVMH products are excluded.

Out of curiosity how does LVMH or Malle enforce this with a company in bankruptcy? It’s not like Barney’s will be placing an order for fall 2020. Is it just good will or do those contracts include a financial penalty if broken?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how does LVMH or Malle enforce this with a company in bankruptcy? It’s not like Barney’s will be placing an order for fall 2020. Is it just good will or do those contracts include a financial penalty if broken?

Maybe they leaned on Barney's new owner Authentic Brands, who also owns Saks.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I saw that on today's CBS Sunday Morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads