• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Brioni cuts are pretty strange. I fit well in most Zegna and Canali (and TF, Samuelsohn, etc...), but when I try on Brioni the proportions seem to be off. For example, narrow shoulders but large chest.

Gaetano was a great cut though.

Is that pre or post recent changes

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Brioni cuts are pretty strange. I fit well in most Zegna and Canali (and TF, Samuelsohn, etc...), but when I try on Brioni the proportions seem to be off. For example, narrow shoulders but large chest.

Gaetano was a great cut though.
I only have one piece of Brioni tailoring. An unstructured, featherweight blue linen summer jacket. Most of their cuts just don't look good on me. Zegna's Milano cut and a few of Canali's (they only number them I think) work much better.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amanda Mull's new column in the Atlantic is quite interesting. Today's is on free shipping and the impact on small businesses. Amazing how Amazon in particular manipulates us all like rodents receiving food pellets for behavioral choices.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only have one piece of Brioni tailoring. An unstructured, featherweight blue linen summer jacket. Most of their cuts just don't look good on me. Zegna's Milano cut and a few of Canali's (they only number them I think) work much better.

funny enough the only brioni jacket I have is a soft summer jacket as well

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't looked at them for years.
Last time I checked they had built up shoulders that
the salesman and I agreed were not flattering.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't looked at them for years.
Last time I checked they had built up shoulders that
the salesman and I agreed were not flattering.

The new models don't really have built up shoulders. Light-to-medium padding. But yeah, it's not a flattering cut on me either. Even in the video with Christian Slater, it doesn't look that great.

That said, the Brioni suits in Arbitrage looked great:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barneys adding deeper discounts.

Capture.JPG

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so went to Barneys, not as bad as I thought, it basically looks like Saks on sale...

since they have brioni, gave it a try, Primo is decent (fits slim), just lack character, a bit generic...

Cifonelli had 2 models, one is quite blend the other looks more Cifonelli proper (lapel/shoulder wise)

RLPL has a model called douglas to my surprise other than the lapel on the narrow side everything fits very very well, and actually my favorite out of all things I tried

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so went to Barneys, not as bad as I thought, it basically looks like Saks on sale...

since they have brioni, gave it a try, Primo is decent (fits slim), just lack character, a bit generic...

Cifonelli had 2 models, one is quite blend the other looks more Cifonelli proper (lapel/shoulder wise)

RLPL has a model called douglas to my surprise other than the lapel on the narrow side everything fits very very well, and actually my favorite out of all things I tried

Douglas is a soft shoulder model with a lot of padding. I like it too. The Gregory isn’t bad either.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Douglas is a soft shoulder model with a lot of padding. I like it too. The Gregory isn’t bad either.

maybe my illusion but based on my memory I think Gregory is shorter?

has Anthony been discoutined? Thought it would still make a very nice tuxedo and double breast with the strong shoulder

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way speaking of website the remapped Bergdorf Goodman website looks a lot better (even had its own app) instead of the shared service Neiman Marcus crap...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way speaking of website the remapped Bergdorf Goodman website looks a lot better (even had its own app) instead of the shared service Neiman Marcus crap...
I was sick off the overlap as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads