• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the Clarksburg Paul Stuart outlet the other day. The guy I talked with said they are Stuart's only outlet store, and that everything is mainline and comes from one of the four PS stores in the US. In fact, he said PS is probably one of only two or three stores at the Clarksburg outlet center that doesn't sell anything specifically made for outlet. They had some very nice stuff, but not an enormous selection, and a lot of the clothing wasn't available in my size (which, I guess, is further evidence that it's mainline merchandise). They seemed to have a lot of tall sizes available, so if that's your size, you might want to swing by. And if you like PS socks, they are a real bargain. I picked up some nice ones for $12 that would cost $30-plus at a regular PS store.

On a different note, I looked in the Hickey Freeman outlet and pretty much everything there was diffusion line, Milburn and Lindsey and Roberto model suits. Decent suits, and some were on sale for $250, which is definitely a good deal, but not the same quality as mainline fully canvassed HF.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the Clarksburg Paul Stuart outlet the other day. The guy I talked with said they are Stuart's only outlet store, and that everything is mainline and comes from one of the four PS stores in the US. In fact, he said PS is probably one of only two or three stores at the Clarksburg outlet center that doesn't sell anything specifically made for outlet. They had some very nice stuff, but not an enormous selection, and a lot of the clothing wasn't available in my size (which, I guess, is further evidence that it's mainline merchandise). They seemed to have a lot of tall sizes available, so if that's your size, you might want to swing by. And if you like PS socks, they are a real bargain. I picked up some nice ones for $12 that would cost $30-plus at a regular PS store.

On a different note, I looked in the Hickey Freeman outlet and pretty much everything there was diffusion line, Milburn and Lindsey and Roberto model suits. Decent suits, and some were on sale for $250, which is definitely a good deal, but not the same quality as mainline fully canvassed HF.
Thanks for the update! I'm a 42L but rarely find a lot of discounted stuff in my size. Last time I was in the Hickey Freeman store there I saw a few mainline Beacon suits with Loro Piana Super 150's in my size. Didn't need another navy suit at the time, though. I expect they sold. Will get up there to check out PS soon I hope.

The Zegna outlet there gets mainline stuff from Tyson's Galleria, King of Prussia Mall in Philly and at least one other location. Good deals on dress shirts.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I keep waiting for Amazon to move into clothing and so far it really hasn't, or at least not the stuff I'm looking for. I've bought bathing suits from Amazon, but that's about it. I have yet to buy a tie, a shirt, a suit, or a shoe (other than running sneakers) from Amazon.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amazon adds to their woes but it isn't the one thing that does it. Your CNN link is like many broad summaries about the problems retailers are having. Retailers have always gone out of business but that was traditionally on a more regional basis.

Retailers became more and more consolidated, due more to financial M&A strategies than any kind of brilliant retail strategies, taking on massive debt. Servicing debt and became their focus rather than being the very best merchant. In fact they offered a more homogenous experience since it was easy to roll-out, manage and supply on a broader multi-store level. So, you have lots more retailers offering something similar. Bring in regular sales and discounting of that similar stuff and businesses will fail. Business Strategy 101: "You must be the best or the lowest cost provider", choose wisely!

So many of these failing chains started out with a highly motivated, sharp merchant with an appealing concept that filled a real need, but then, once the business was sold, once, twice or more, it just became a financial operation, churning "stuff' rather than retaining an image that services a particular demographic.

I have been running into more and more retailers who are taking anti-Amazon strategies, looking for brands and services that they can provide that Amazon can't or won't. That can be a very positive direction for a retailer if they choose to approach it that way.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I keep waiting for Amazon to move into clothing and so far it really hasn't, or at least not the stuff I'm looking for. I've bought bathing suits from Amazon, but that's about it. I have yet to buy a tie, a shirt, a suit, or a shoe (other than running sneakers) from Amazon.
Their clothing outlets are not necessarily branded "Amazon" but they do own East Dane for example, Zappos , Shopbop, etc...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just came back from Paul Stuart outlet store and was quite impressed. All mainline and quite a bit of stuff in my size. Didn't need any suits or sport coats but got a pair of Black Watch tartan trousers, a tie and a scarf. Socks were tempting as you mentioned but will save those for next visit. Looks like a new go-to resource here in DC area.

Saleswoman said they sent the women's stuff back and are expanding the Phineas Cole section shortly. Impressive collection of odd waistcoats, formal shirts and ties.

I checked the tags on the Stuart Ltd. suits and they are Oxxford (who also does their MTM as "Stuart's Choice") which helps explain the almost $4k retail price. Didn't notice any Italian suits but I could have missed them. Was impressed by the entire rack of 41-42 sizes. Right up my alley!

Hickey Freeman added some gold label mainline suits apparently and Zegna has some excellent deals as well.

EDIT: @upr_crust @knittieguy and I checked out the only Paul Stuart outlet. It's in Clarksburg, MD just outside DC beltway. Well worth a visit next time you venture down the Acela corridor. They seemed to stock everything but shoes and jewelry items.

Last edited:

TomOwen

Reaction score
Just came back from Paul Stuart outlet store and was quite impressed. All mainline and quite a bit of stuff in my size. Didn't need any suits or sport coats but got a pair of Black Watch tartan trousers, a tie and a scarf. Socks were tempting as you mentioned but will save those for next visit. Looks like a new go-to resource here in DC area.

Saleswoman said they sent the women's stuff back and are expanding the Phineas Cole section shortly. Impressive collection of odd waistcoats, formal shirts and ties.

I checked the tags on the Stuart Ltd. suits and they are Oxxford (who also does their MTM as "Stuart's Choice") which helps explain the almost $4k retail price. Didn't notice any Italian suits but I could have missed them. Was impressed by the entire rack of 41-42 sizes. Right up my alley!

Hickey Freeman added some gold label mainline suits apparently and Zegna has some excellent deals as well.

Do you know what the pricing is for suits/sport coats are at the outlet?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the pricing is for suits/sport coats are at the outlet?
Looked like 40-60% although I paid more attention to the shirts, pants and such. Black Watch tartan trousers were retail $350 marked down to $170. Ties were $150 marked down to $90. Some of the formal shirts were 50% off I think. None in my size unfortunately. Got my wife a Made in Scotland wool/cashmere scarf for 50% off.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh the irony of this thread turning into another deal-seeking, deep-discount outlet discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh the irony of this thread turning into another deal-seeking, deep-discount outlet discussion thread
And yet, not that surprising.

It's interesting that the same thing has not happened to the fashion industry discussion thread in Streetwear and Denim. I wonder if there is a lot of overlap between the two audiences (both readership and those actively engaged in the conversation.)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looked like 40-60% although I paid more attention to the shirts, pants and such. Black Watch tartan trousers were retail $350 marked down to $170. Ties were $150 marked down to $90. Some of the formal shirts were 50% off I think. None in my size unfortunately. Got my wife a Made in Scotland wool/cashmere scarf for 50% off.

i.e. basically the same sale amount as end of season sale, though guess just stay at that level

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay, will go back to just commenting on the decline of Western Civilization here and not mention deep deals and such. Still... A Paul Stuart outlet? Pretty great! :bigstar:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics