• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dude, if "retail price" is part of the dialogue or you're shopping at the mall, you're doing it wrong.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree from the upper-middle looking up. Retail price is not part of the dialogue as I usually won't pay it even though I usually can. Who shops at malls anymore? Fine for accessories and such I guess but not for anything major.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, if "retail price" is part of the dialogue or you're shopping at the mall, you're doing it wrong.

I agree from the upper-middle looking up. Retail price is not part of the dialogue as I usually won't pay it even though I usually can. Who shops at malls anymore? Fine for accessories and such I guess but not for anything major.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is seriously sad that middle class people with decent jobs have to stoop to trawling discounted bins and second hand outlets online just to find half-decent clothing these days.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is seriously sad that middle class people with decent jobs have to stoop to trawling discounted bins and second hand outlets online just to find half-decent clothing these days.

There are no half-decent clothes in those bins.

If you give a **** about tailored clothing, you're going to need some money. Nobody expects to make an iPhone out of a bag of pennies, why do people assume there must be a cheap way to do clothing well?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with buying on sale and there are a ton of good clothes below the $$$$$ mark, especially if you're not buying tailored clothing. Some of the coolest people I know wear thrifted vintage clothes and they look better than the guys coming out of Barneys.

I sometimes pay full retail for things because 1) I like the store, 2) I don't want to wait, or 3) I don't want to risk having my item gone by sale time.

This dichtomy that all cheap clothes are bad or full price is only suckers is stupid in both directions.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are no half-decent clothes in those bins.

If you give a **** about tailored clothing, you're going to need some money. Nobody expects to make an iPhone out of a bag of pennies, why do people assume there must be a cheap way to do clothing well?

This is true but I see nothing wrong with watching something online then taking the plunge when it goes on sale. No rummaging in bins required. The Canali suit I got at Barney was $2.1k but I got it for $1k. Why pay retail when you don't have to?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with buying on sale and there are a ton of good clothes below the $$$$$ mark, especially if you're not buying tailored clothing. Some of the coolest people I know wear thrifted vintage clothes and they look better than the guys coming out of Barneys.

I sometimes pay full retail for things because 1) I like the store, 2) I don't want to wait, or 3) I don't want to risk having my item gone by sale time.

This dichtomy that all cheap clothes are bad or full price is only suckers is stupid in both directions.

Nobody needs so many pieces of tailored clothing that they should be digging **** out of sales bins at Nordstrom like some sort of animal. You need maybe two jackets (****, just one navy blazer would do it). Then, maybe three or four suits--just one or two if your office is business casual.

Save money for fewer, better things that don't need to make apologies. Sales and department stores are for suckers.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is true but I see nothing wrong with watching something online then taking the plunge when it goes on sale. No rummaging in bins required. The Canali suit I got at Barney was $2.1k but I got it for $1k. Why pay retail when you don't have to?

Well that I disagree with. Pay retail, if you can, because you're supporting good businesses who enrich your life. If you're a guy who owns a huge closet full of discounted expensive things, half of which you don't wear, you can afford to pay retail.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But why the Canali instead of saving for a proper bespoke suit at 3-4x the price?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nobody needs so many pieces of tailored clothing that they should be digging **** out of sales bins at Nordstrom like some sort of animal. You need maybe two jackets (****, just one navy blazer would do it). Then, maybe three or four suits--just one or two if your office is business casual.

Save money for fewer, better things that don't need to make apologies. Sales and department stores are for suckers.

Suitsupply is totally fine and it's like $500 for a suit there. It's not as exciting as top-end, world class tailoring, but it legitimately looks good. If you're cash strapped, they sometimes even have flash sales where you can get a suit for as little as $250. Or you can check eBay.

The world has progressed very, very far from the Indochinos of 2008. He prob doesn't want to be named, but I was sitting with the owner of a very good tailoring boutique a few months ago, a guy who really knows his way around bespoke and has spectacular taste. One of his complaints is that you can actually get extraordinarily good looking suits nowadays for less than $1000. That's the problem.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Suitsupply is totally fine and it's like $500 for a suit there. It's not as exciting as top-end, world class tailoring, but it legitimately looks good. If you're cash strapped, they sometimes even have flash sales where you can get a suit for as little as $250. Or you can check eBay.

The world has progressed very, very far from the Indochinos of 2008. He prob doesn't want to be named, but I was sitting with the owner of a very good tailoring boutique a few months ago, a guy who really knows his way around bespoke and has spectacular taste. One of his complaints is that you can actually get extraordinarily good looking suits nowadays for less than $1000. That's the problem.

Being forced to pass by a Suitsupply on the way to my office, I can emphatically refute your premise here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads