• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing with the new stores and corresponding expansion of merchandise to fill them, Paul Stuart needed a more regular and controlled avenue to sell off surplus items that weren't bought even during the seasonal sales. Joseph S. said that he could actually talk to the primary stores and reserve items after the season is over. I wonder if the outlet becomes too successful whether it will then cannibalize sales, especially from the D.C. store.
I'm going to check out the PS outlet this weekend. Zegna outlet as well. Picked up a charcoal pinstripe there this past Spring at 75% off. Couldn't believe I found a mainline Zegna in 52L. Almost never happens.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re. outlets. I hear what you guys are saying, but outlet shoppers are typically not the same shoppers that will go to a luxury store, so it's not brand dilution in that sense. Outlet shoppers are primarily discount shoppers.
This is true to some extent, although for brands like Brooks Brothers there is definitely crossover, particularly among older customers. In Florida, for instance, all the retired New Yorkers who used to buy their suits at BB in NYC go to the outlet store to buy sweaters and slacks. I'm sure a lot of them don't realize that 346-brand stuff is lower quality merchandise.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_2483.PNG
IMG_2484.PNG
IMG_2485.PNG
IMG_2486.PNG
Maybe Isaia made earlier versions and Caruso makes them now? Would need to see inner tag to be sure.

From 3 different suits though all same eBay seller and same made in Italy (looks like all Caruso). I have been to PS fairly often and I have honestly never see these models

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but eh guy said it's illegal which doesn't seem to be the case
What's illega
View attachment 838680 View attachment 838681 View attachment 838682 View attachment 838683

From 3 different suits though all same eBay seller and same made in Italy (looks like all Caruso). I have been to PS fairly often and I have honestly never see these models
Tag looks like Caruso. Same as their stuff for Barneys New York. I've never looked at the tags in store. Too many salesmen pounce when I walk in there

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably little need in faking Caruso suit as PS, my guess is something for the Japanese market?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think PS or Caruso have many, if any at all, pirated knock-off's. That sort of thing is usually reserved for brands more folks recognize like LV, Chanel, Hermes, etc. No idea about PS's Japan presence. Hard to imagine the NYC and DC stores existing solely to keep Tokyo store open, though.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly CM, but a reflection of the ongoing changes in the retail market. GAP announced today that they will be closing 200 GAP and Banana Republic stores and focusing on opening more Old Navy retail stores.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly CM, but a reflection of the ongoing changes in the retail market. GAP announced today that they will be closing 200 GAP and Banana Republic stores and focusing on opening more Old Navy retail stores.
Yuck. Old Navy?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think PS or Caruso have many, if any at all, pirated knock-off's. That sort of thing is usually reserved for brands more folks recognize like LV, Chanel, Hermes, etc. No idea about PS's Japan presence. Hard to imagine the NYC and DC stores existing solely to keep Tokyo store open, though.

I can across the Japanese stuff once a while on eBay, they have stuff that's available for US market as well as purely for Japan, hence my comment of the eBay somehow for got the for Japan stuf

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can across the Japanese stuff once a while on eBay, they have stuff that's available for US market as well as purely for Japan, hence my comment of the eBay somehow for got the for Japan stuf
IS there an easy way to spot the Japanese stuff? Is it mostly still Samuelsohn suits and sport coats? Easy if the tags are in Japanese I guess!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not easily, usually just from seller disclaimer, though the PS for Japan definitely has a lower line on top of the regular line for US

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuck. Old Navy?
The market is trending towards discount or luxury. The middle is getting squeezed hard. I think that the idea of "good enough" is not very appealing in a day and age when you can get your ideal product for pennies on the dollar if you care enough at sales, worldwide, or else you can just get inexpensive clothing for the price of lunch that will get you through. The only real need I or many other customers have for mass market but not dirt cheap stuff is when I need something immediately but don't want to spent that much. The last time I shopped at a Banana Republic, for instance, was for my Father-in-Law's funeral, and I had no clothes other than workout clothes and jeans, since I had been plucked, pretty much literally, out of forest fire fighter training in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from my house.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zara is eating into the middle lots or even low/middle end. These days a lot of folks don't care about quality as much as look. Not going to call it style nor fashion because it ain't always stylish nor it is always fashion forward. So a fused suit that looks great will sell more than a canvassed suit that is constructed perfectly

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The market is trending towards discount or luxury. The middle is getting squeezed hard...

I had a former marketing professor whose research area was around this. We're seeing it in most markets, including restaurants, automobiles, retail, supermarkets, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads