1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Jun 13, 2017.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The coolest politician: The Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

One of the best dressed politicians of the 20th century. And one of the only well-dressed ones.

3. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I wonder if his tailor's opinion got completely bypassed during the bespoke process.

4. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

What I'm saying is that this is pretty normal for a (very small) subset of the British population. There was a time I thought suits should look like that, and folks with a "SF CM" aesthetic were a bit clownish (even a cutaway collar - not something our headmaster would have done for example). It's not supposed to "look good" (although it will, if that's what you've lived around all your life), it's supposed to look gray, sober, and hide your middle age body and be comfortable to live in. Like a robe for a priest. A Lutheran, rather than Catholic, priest.

I am certain he asked his tailor to make it that way.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

Anthony Eden? Different era, I know, but he was considered an icon for refined taste throughout his career arguably influencing mens fashion on several occasions.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Yes, he was another good one.

GettyImages-544753457.jpg

7. Riva

Now that you mentioned it I think he really did ask for a jacket robe. IMO it wasn't even to project a certain image but purely for comfort. Either he was very courageous or knew very well the world he dwelt in didn't give a damn.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

8. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

9. Ich_Dien

When you live in a suit 24/7 like a Member of Parliament I'm quite sure comfort is very high on the list. For that, I can't think of any UK official who is publicly accountable that would wear noticeably expensive clothing.

Rees-Mogg has always been a young fogey as it is. I sat next to him at the cricket maybe thirteen years ago now (he would have been 36) and he looked, acted and dressed like he was 75 even then. To be fair it was Lord's so the majority do.

It is no wonder he is referred to in Parliament as the "Honourable Member for the 18th century".

[​IMG]

10. Riva

Bespoke in UK by itself is already an expensive luxury to the rest of the world. He might as well have chosen something stylish instead of noticeably odd.

11. Ich_Dien

The man is the son of an aristocrat, educated at Eton college, and worth over £100 million...I think he can afford not to be stylish in his choices.

"He entered politics in 1997 and, while canvassing for the seat in Fife, was driven around in a Mercedes by his nanny. ‘I was going to take my Bentley, but she wisely said that this would be seen as ostentatious and I should take Mummy’s Mercedes instead.’" Source.

12. Riva

You meant billions? Plenty of SF members own that much and we're stylish :)

13. Ich_Dien

Well now we're onto the nuances of upper class English taste. Where's Vox when you need him.

14. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

He’s not the son of an aristocrat. His dad was editor of the Times. Weirdly he has always had a much posher accent than his dad did, which illustrates how affected his personality is. It’s funny people always mistake him for an aristo. No one with a hereditary title has behaved like Jacob since the ‘50s.

I also doubt his suits are bespoke. Very likely off the peg from somewhere like Ede & Ravenscroft.

15. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur