• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Classic White Linen (or Linen Cotton Combo) Trouser

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see this alot in Chicago as everyone is obessesed with jeans.

So do any members don the white trousers with oddjackets (cotton/linen) in the summer still?

I think I'll be venturesome and do it more often once it heats up a tad.

Do you prefer a 100% linen or a linen / cotton combo?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the pure stuff. You don't see white in the city much because they get dirty easily. It's a hassle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pure linen is better for trousers, I think, as the fibers are stiffer and the trousers will hang better. Linen-cotton is excellent for shirts, however.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11uj53q.jpg

Now I don't like RL for clothing but this is how it may look.
Yes, perhaps the city is just not the place, it does venture into shippy my captain with navy, but perhaps at night on a date with a lovely lady at dinner in the heat of summer? Sans tie. I've also seen in paired with linen sportcoats of light blue, periwinkle etc. that look nice.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a RLPL pair that I enjoy. I concur with whoopee, though. They're tough to keep clean, so they're only a once-in-a-while indulgence.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of linen/cotton trousers from LL Bean (one off-white, one light green). They're no doubt not of the best quality, but I really like the way they fit, and they seem to be of good quality for the price. I generally pair them casually on the weekends with one of my aloha shirts and some driving or camp mocs. Someday I'll buy a Panama hat to complete the look.

I could probably also dress them up (at least the off white ones) with a blazer and some dressier loafers or lace ups.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
11uj53q.jpg

Now I don't like RL for clothing but this is how it may look.
Yes, perhaps the city is just not the place, it does venture into shippy my captain with navy, but perhaps at night on a date with a lovely lady at dinner in the heat of summer? Sans tie. I've also seen in paired with linen sportcoats of light blue, periwinkle etc. that look nice.

The problem with that look for an urban setting is that it looks too fussy. Navy and white is still a very accepted summer combination. Maybe if you are taking a special someone to dinner, lose the tie (as you mentioned) and wear a medium blue high thread count shirt with a button down collar. Also I dont like those buttons, I would actually prefer enameled buttons with either your college crest or some fanciful design to those buttons. It isnt that I like those metal buttons a lot, its that id prefer them to navy blue buttons. natural Horn and mother of pearl are other choices, anything but navy and solid metal finish.

You can make an outfit like this very up to date with a pair of navy or medium blue suede penny loafers.

White pants look good with light grey jackets too. Most shades of blue and of course pinks, although most dont go there...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I agree, but that is a very natty combo... I may have to look into getting some linen trousers.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs in 100% linen. They visit the cleaners more frequently than any other garments that I own. So hard to keep clean.

Shoes190.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I agree, but that is a very natty combo... I may have to look into getting some linen trousers.

----You're in florida. I'd have two pair. and a ton of linen sportcoats. And the Navy Linen blazer and white, you'd be beating the girls off with a stick assuming you have a convertible?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure about your proximity to a Neiman Marcus but they had a pair of amazing Paul Smith white linen pants on sale for around $300 i believe.

they also had a really nice pair of RLPL 100% wool, cream colored slacks which would look great for more formal summer wear. also on sale at $240 i believe.

-Jeff

pkincy

Reaction score
I much much prefer the silk/linen blends. My favorite is a 70 silk/30 linen blend. It has just enough linen to give a hint of a wrinkle but the silk makes it wonderfully soft and easy to wear.

Perry

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
----You're in florida. I'd have two pair. and a ton of linen sportcoats. And the Navy Linen blazer and white, you'd be beating the girls off with a stick assuming you have a convertible?
Uh, I have a white Chevy Lumina.
laugh.gif
I probably should have invested by now, but I only just started getting into dresswear like... early last year. Not to mention I haven't the greatest amount of money set aside for it unlike others on this forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads