1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The classic video game thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by thetieguy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

The cowboy game reminds me of the NES game gunsmoke.

2. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Ahh yes Sunset Riders. I played that at arcades all the time...miss it very much. My favorite was the purple fat guy, he had the shotgun that shot far. I dont understand why anybody would choose anyone over him. The only downside to him was that his joystick was at the far right of the consol.

3. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Don't forget Gauntlet or Metal Slug. And obviously Contra (the whole series).

4. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Awesome classic 1st-gen NES games!!!! Double Dragon - fighting entire armies of Mr T! [​IMG] Castlevania [​IMG] Metroid - creepy music [​IMG] Super Mario Bros 2 - This came out with the first edition of Nintendo Power. Crazy popular. I think my parents had to sign up weeks in advance at Toys-R-US [​IMG] Kid Icarus [​IMG] Contra [​IMG] Duck Hunt - I had the Super Mario Bros/DuckHunt combo game that came with the NES gun [​IMG] Marble Madness [​IMG] Paperboy [​IMG] Friday The 13th - I fucking hated this game [​IMG] Nightmare on Elm Street ... wasn't much better [​IMG]

5. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

and to change it up a bit....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

My parents got me these on one of my birthdays... too bad I don't remember which one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Super Mario Bros 2 - This came out with the first edition of Nintendo Power. Crazy popular. I think my parents had to sign up weeks in advance at Toys-R-US

Do you have the first issue too? It's at my grandma's somewhere but it's cool. We got the game with it too. Also, nintendo power sent us a copy of Dragon Warrior (original one) for free too. Loved that game. I think we got a copy of final fantasy 1 at some point too. Nintendo power was great early on with freebies.

8. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

Those handheld games always sucked, yet I always begged my mom to get me one. Anyone remember this? Such a total waste of money. God bless my mom. [​IMG] This one was pretty fun, though, or at least it was when I was 5. [​IMG] Edit: Wait, that game actually sucked. I was trying to find "Copter Commander."

9. breakz

breakz Senior member

For anyone who's a fan of Marble Madness: mastery.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Anyway my ancient game of the moment is NBA Jam. You can't beat the Charlotte Hornets with Zo, Larry Johnson, and Muggsy Bogues!

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

[​IMG]

How could we forget Golden Axe??

Double Dragon - fighting entire armies of Mr T!

[​IMG]

i loved these two games.
    only way to destroy legions of thugs in DD was your elbow

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Good to see some more Sierra love. I think i was the only 8 year old in my class to know what a candelabra was. They were pretty damned good for building vocabulary and learning to spell imo.
    King's Quest... I think I remember finding that in our computer drawer at about age 8 and loading it. Never could figure out how to play it. Always really pissed me off, b/c I wanted to.
    I acquired King's Quest VII when it came out ('94 or '95?) and played the hell out of it. My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed. [​IMG]

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

BTW, Golden Axe is AWESOME.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest was one of my most-played SNES games.

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

Genesis game I loved most was Vectorman. The sonic + knuckles / sonic 3 was pretty incredible as well. It isn't exactly retro (only 1995) but the Marathon games still go under Best of All Time right next to System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

14. daft

daft Senior member

my fav genesis game was the one with michael jackson doing dance moves to destroy the bad guys & he goes around saving crying children. . the moonwalker i think it was.

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

^^Moonwalker. Sega sent us that game for free when my Dad found a serious glitch in Super Hangon and called them about it.

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed. [​IMG]
    Doom 3 was released 5 years ago buddy. Somehow I thought you were older. Hows Sophomore year of HS treating you?

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I acquired King's Quest VII when it came out ('94 or '95?) and played the hell out of it.

My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed. [​IMG]

I think KQ3 was the best of the series. Learning spells in the wizard's basement, and trying to do so before he came down and pwned you was awesome fun. I think it was the first game i played in color as well. [​IMG]

When KQ4 came out with VGA graphics (first ever i think) i begged for a new computer (which cost like 3k+ back then). I can still remember looking at the back of the box at the Compucenter in Square One and drooling. It was such a huge leap from EGA. [​IMG]

I always preferred these games to the shooting ones and Nintendo b/c they required thinking instead of just reflexes. I don't know if games like that still exist anymore.

18. Kas

Kas Senior member

UT2k3? At the time that was released I quit professional gaming! No, that's obviously Facing Worlds from the original Unreal Tournament.

Also, inspired by the Star Wars game earlier:

Rebel Assault II, anyone remember the Falcon level in which you had to go through the cave? My dad bought me a joystick because of that - impossible without, amazingly difficult with it.

[​IMG]

Star Wars: Dark Forces. My nephew had this game, I'm still not sure whether this game or doom introduced me to FPS.

[​IMG]

19. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

my fav genesis game was the one with michael jackson doing dance moves to destroy the bad guys & he goes around saving crying children. . the moonwalker i think it was.

^^Moonwalker. Sega sent us that game for free when my Dad found a serious glitch in Super Hangon and called them about it.

Moonwalker was a great fun game.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Doom 3 was released 5 years ago buddy. Somehow I thought you were older. Hows Sophomore year of HS treating you?
    I meant the original Doom!