The classic video game thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by thetieguy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

OoT was a little boring, definitely not in contention for best ever. The N64 game that really blew me away was Mario 64. That game was a beautiful thing.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

Seems like pretty much.... everyone disagrees with you.

Anyway, it's obviously personal preference, but I think it's a bit much to say it's not even in contention for best ever.

2. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

Stepping out of the arcade....

Deja Vu was my favorite game for the Commodore 64.

3. mdisbell

mdisbell Active Member

I had enough coupons and so I got the 25th Anniversary Edition Galaga, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man Tabletop Arcade game from Dave and Busters the other day. Here is what it looks like:

http://brookstone.com/store/product....stone+HomePage

Playing this sure brings back memories! All three of these were some of my favorite classic arcade games.

It took 195,000 coupons to get this, but it was sure worth it!

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I had enough coupons and so I got the 25th Anniversary Edition Galaga, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man Tabletop Arcade game from Dave and Busters the other day. Here is what it looks like: http://brookstone.com/store/product....stone+HomePage Playing this sure brings back memories! All three of these were some of my favorite classic arcade games. It took 195,000 coupons to get this, but it was sure worth it!
    You should look around for a board so you can upgrade your game. It's called a MULTICADE board. It will give you 60 of the classic games. I think it's around $150 for the upgrade. Very easy to install and very worth it.

5. mdisbell

mdisbell Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info. That price is close to what this game actually cost me. It cost me about $250 to win 195,000 coupons at Dave and Busters. I am an expert (literally an unstoppable force) on a couple of their ticket games. I get 40 to 80 thousand coupons each night that I go there, averaging about 15,000 coupons an hour.

I will look into that MULTICADE board and see if I like most of the games on it. This arcade game is a nice addition to my game room, and it doesn't take up much room.

6. micbain

micbain Senior member

Best games ever

NES: Mike Tyson's Punch Out

SNES: Tie between super street fighter II and mario kart

then I pretty much stopped playing video games after that

7. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Stepping out of the arcade....

Deja Vu was my favorite game for the Commodore 64.

Bruce Lee was killer. I was always the fat green guy that was supposed to help Bruce, but I usually kicked his ass.

8. unpainted huffheinz

What was the name of the company you worked for and what area?

I worked for Skyboy in Chicago. Midway is/was based here too - I think they might still have some sort of operation across from Hot Dougs.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The best N64 game had to be Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. No contest.
    This man speaks the truth. Goldeneye with 3 or 4 players = impossible to put the controllers down until eyelids declared TKO

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I worked for Skyboy in Chicago. Midway is/was based here too - I think they might still have some sort of operation across from Hot Dougs.

My friend's husband works for Midway. He was the lead videographer for games like NFL Blitz, so he runs the thing where they get the NFL players to come in and put on those suits with a million little sensors. He was also the second in command on MK vs. DC Comics. He was telling me about it over dinner one night, sounded really cool.
    Anyway, they are across from Hot Doug's, but I guess they're moving somewhere downtown in 2009.

11. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Now THIS is a thread thats near and dear to my heart. I love the NES games. Anything less than N64 is "retro", in my opinion.

I was in portland, OR a few months back and there was a bar there with all retro game boxes. It was awesome.

If you really geek out you can find some online communities. I bought a 2008 version of tecmo super bowl, updated with current rosters and all for the NES. Its amazing that a forum like this exsts where they argue the merits of the Oakland offensive line like we do Aldens vs. AE.

12. unpainted huffheinz

My friend's husband works for Midway. He was the lead videographer for games like NFL Blitz, so he runs the thing where they get the NFL players to come in and put on those suits with a million little sensors. He was also the second in command on MK vs. DC Comics. He was telling me about it over dinner one night, sounded really cool.
    Anyway, they are across from Hot Doug's, but I guess they're moving somewhere downtown in 2009.

I like my Q-bert story better.

13. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

river city ransom is the shit. 'nuff said.

14. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    CONTRA!

[​IMG]

15. spertia

spertia Senior member

I play my Atari 7800 regularly (it's great because original 2600 games work in it as well). The main games that are currently in my rotation are:

Dig Dug
    Foodfight
    Joust
    Donkey Kong
    Ms. Pac Man
    Frogger