1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The "classic" navy blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shiggles, Oct 17, 2012.

1. shiggles

shiggles Member

Inspired by this PutThisOn piece I would like to invest in a quality navy blazer.

What do you all think? Should I go with a sack style? Is it absurd to wear a darted navy blazer?

Brooks Brothers, or something else?

2. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Entirely depends on your build. If you're into classic blazers, I'd also check out Polo Ralph Lauren.

3. shiggles

shiggles Member

I have only ever owned/worn darted suits and jackets. I'm not overweight, and I'm not skinny. I'm 5'10" and 175.

I don't even know if there are stores available nearby that would have a sack style jacket available to try on.

Think I should just stick with a more modern cut jacket?

Does Ralph Lauren offer a wool blazer?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I get the impression that you're just getting started with this stuff. If that's indeed the case, I'd recommend you: 1. Read all the Styleforum 101 articles; 2. Start with buying used garments from local thrift and consignment stores, only turning to retail when you're capable of making informed decisions.

Sack suits and sack coats are not very common nowadays, and so it's unlikely that any retailer you have nearby would carry any.

Almost all quality blazers are made of wool, including practically all Ralph Lauren blazers.

1 person likes this.
  5. SirTristan

SirTristan Member

I just purchased my first one. Ralph Lauren 2 button blazer with gold ones. I just found out from this forum that I should have bought one from the thrift store. oh well, Im happy with it but I will get it tailored soon.

6. shiggles

shiggles Member

You are correct. I am not exactly a seasoned aficionado when it comes to suits or jackets. Unfortunately all of the thrift stores near me are absolute crap. Despite the fact that I live near one of the richest areas in California, all of the suits and jackets at local thrift stores are absolute dross. eBay is pretty much my only option for used clothing.

How does something like this strike you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251140326219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

7. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

That's not a blazer, but it looks good! Also, whether it fits you depends on how it meshes with your specific measurements and bodily quirks. Note, for example, that its shoulder width is 19.5 inches, which I find somewhat wide for a 40R.

8. shiggles

shiggles Member

Why is that not a blazer? Because it doesn't have metal buttons?

I was planning on measuring a suit jacket I own that fits me well and comparing measurements to see if this "blazer" would fit me.

9. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Yes.

10. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Great link Shiggles, I really like the blue blazer. I have a "summer wool" unlined Navy jacket that I wear constantly. So, I was thinking of having a DB Blue Blazer made to offset some of the traffic that jacket gets. I'm 5'6" so I was thinking of maybe having a 4x1 or 6x1 made. Is there a hierarchy on buttons? I've seen some of the gold buttons as just painted plastic looking things. Is there a place to pick up a better set or any general guidance on finding a solid set?

11. shiggles

shiggles Member

I guess I just can't see a situation in which I could justify wearing a blazer with gold buttons. I don't belong to a Yacht club and I'm not old enough to just pull it off with "steaz."

I actually ended up buying that Ralph Lauren navy sport coat after comparing the measurements to a suit jacket I own.

I'll let you all know how it fits :)

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Southwick is another good alternative not yet mentioned. There are several navy jackets in different weights on the Epaulet website.

13. SirTristan

SirTristan Member

I'm trying to figure out what brick and mortars would sell various styles of buttons for a blazer. Would a department store offer them or a would have to go to a boutique? Can I get some suggestions please?

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

No, you should not have bought one from the thrift store, however, you make a lot of mistakes early on... I sure did. So it's better to make mistakes on cheaper clothes than expensive clothes.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I feel the same way. Unlike most people on this forum -- and in breach of tradition -- I prefer navy sport coats or (gasp!) orphaned navy suit jackets to navy blazers. Good luck with the coat!

16. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Well, you can occasionally find good deals in thrift stores so I wouldn't totally rule it out. I live in Boston and there are a couple thrift stores that sell Zegna, Brioni, and some other nice brands.

Sir Tristan: Just find a quality tailor because they'll have a wide range of buttons in varying qualities.

1 person likes this.
  17. shiggles

shiggles Member

Any tailor (or alterationist) should have a selection of buttons to replace the ones that came with your jacket. It sounds like you're getting it altered anyways, so have them done at that point as well. Also, tons of buttons available on eBay and the like.

1 person likes this.
  18. thinman

thinman Senior member

A blazer need not have metal buttons. The jacket linked looks like the buttons may be mother-of-pearl, a perfectly acceptable material for blazer buttons (all of my blazers have smoked MOP buttons, as I much prefer them to metal, especially gold). I found a local button store by searching "buttons" on a smart-phone app. You could also search the web or try www.bensilver.com. IIRC, they source their buttons from Benson and Clegg: http://www.bensonandclegg.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=lscv1sm9tu749a8lo6fm7oihs1

19. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Traditionally, what makes a jacket a blazer are the metal buttons (and sometimes patch pockets). MOP is acceptable for buttons but that makes it a sportcoat.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member