• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Church's quality debate - settled!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this might interest a few people. I was in a vintage clothing store this afternoon and they had a pair of NOS Church's. I only managed to take one blurry photo of the soles before the staff told me photography wasn't allowed, but you can see the following features;

- Channelled sole
- Bevelled waist
- Fully-nailed heel

The shoes were just marked internally as per Church's mainline (i.e. nothing special). I'm not making the comment specifically about Church's, but I think it shows how the quality of mass-produced benchmade shoes has declined over time. Indeed, last weekend I saw a similar-quality pair of Crockett & Jones boots...

11zxmw.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these 3 features aren't necessarily indicative of quality. also, those pictured shoes are barely beveled

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
these 3 features aren't necessarily indicative of quality. also, those pictured shoes are barely beveled

I'm not going to get all defensive - I'm still learning. The point I was trying to make, which I hope is still valid, is that they look a lot better than present Church's production.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I don't see how fully nailed heels are indicative of quality. There are good reasons not to have them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin
I don't see how fully nailed heels are indicative of quality. There are good reasons not to have them.
elaborate please

Macallan

Reaction score
We can discuss the drop of quality of RTW shoes and not just Church's; however, the points mentioned are not the foundation of a good debate. Below is an image of the Lowick model from Church's, which is on the 108 and was purchased this year.
th_Lowick.jpg
Channelled soles does not mean the sole is more robust, it is a nice feature to have but nothing more. Tricker shoes have channelled soles that wear down quickly. Bevelled waist make for a nicer fit; however, the Church's mentioned in the original post do not have a bevelled waist.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
Bevelled waist make for a nicer fit; however, the Church's mentioned in the original post do not have a bevelled waist.

since when? no offense, are you sure, you know what bevelled waist means?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
- Channelled sole
- Bevelled waist
- Fully-nailed heel

How old are these?

FWIW, I bought a pair of Church's about 20 years ago and they don't have any of these three features.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at the new cheaney website, it would appear that every other shoemaker these days are aiming for the fiddleback waist and painted channelled soles ala G&G.

shoes.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin

+1 they look to me like a speedy trip down a flight of stairs.

babyfish1

Reaction score
Dear all,
I bought another pair of church shoes... unfortunately I had many many problems due to their quality and CHURCH is not supporting in any way.
I brought my sohoes back ti the Churck store and they gave me those back after 2 months with the same problem...
SInce that moment I m still trying to get support from CHurch UK but without any success...
Did anyone of you have any similar experience? what have you done?
Please help me!!!
Hy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads