The Chipotle Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Hard2Fit, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

being in Nebraska,*edit* GOOD mexican and tex-mex are much much harder to come by than in OK.
    WTF? There's a difference between Nebraska and Oklahoma? [​IMG]

2. bwonger06

bwonger06 Senior member

Living in Phoenix, Chipotle is definitely a white-suburbanized mexican food. However, it is all over the place here and the lines get ridonculous around lunch time.

The fit crowd use to swarm the place but now it is full of either faties, bodybuilders, or young people who have really good metabolisms. Personally I havent eaten there in a year but I thing I liked to do is order a burrito bowl with double meat, extra rice and extra beans (they do not charge for this part), and split the meal into two. It makes two tasty 500 calorie meals (I eat every 4 hours).

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

yes, whoever started marketing mexican food as healthier is a goddamned genius.
    a real mexican taco is corn tortillas, grilled meat (not ground beef), onions, cilantro, chile, and lime juice. i think a couple of those are much healthier than a hamburger.

Yeah, I know the place. I grew up in the area and I'm family friends with Dora but I couldn't expect someone who's used to eating Baja Fresh all their life to make the "jump" to something remotely authentic as that.

Baja Fresh>Sharky's>Yuca's>King Taco in terms of "authentic" Mexican. I'm not saying Yuca's is bad or is not legit, but King Taco is Mexican is as Mexican does.

i went to the one in pasadena once, and they told me they didn't carry limes. i never went back.

White man's burrito.

Any time there is sour cream in a burrito, you know you're in a white neighborhood.

i was born and raised in guadalajara, and i never even saw a burrito until i moved to l.a.

flour tortillas are almost non-existent where i come from, and i understand they're only used in some northern states. in the state of sonora they supposedly eat burritos de machaca, but i've been to sonora several times and never saw one.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Real mexican joints > chipotle.

x100000000000

5. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

austin is mexican food heaven. we've got loads of tex-mex, authentic interior mexican, tex-mex/interior hybrids . . . you name it we got it.

i used to think chipotle was the shizz but after having real al pastor, barbacoa, cochinita pibil etc made from scratch and served to you from whether it be the plethora of trailor taco stands or upscale restaurants we have here, chipotle fails miserably.

. . . i don't think austin food is out of this world, but for any type of mexican, we are a solid 5 stars.

the only reason there is a chipotle open on the drag is bc college students from out of town or who don't have cars probably frequent it as a familiar establishment.

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Wow. -1. As salty as Chipotle is, I find it much tastier than Baja Fresh. Qdobo is an embarrassment. I used to love it back in college when it was the only Mexican joint, but after having it recently for old time's sake, I couldn't believe I ever thought this place was the shit.

But then again, I live in South Bay, where there are so many great, authentic burrito joints.

Do you know Tacqueria Andale in PA? [​IMG]

7. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Que? [​IMG]

Edit: Just googled it. Nah I've never been there. I don't really go into Los Gatos much, but my favorite is this place in Santa Clara (? maybe San Jose) called Si Food. It is pretty much a taco truck that makes only seafood burritos/tacos/etc... I normally go for the halibut or red snapper burrito, but their cevice is amazing, as is this bowl of soup (which costs $15!).

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Que? [​IMG]

Edit: Just googled it. Nah I've never been there. I don't really go into Los Gatos much, but my favorite is this place in Santa Clara (? maybe San Jose) called Si Food. It is pretty much a taco truck that makes only seafood burritos/tacos/etc... I normally go for the halibut or red snapper burrito, but their cevice is amazing, as is this bowl of soup (which costs $15!).

[​IMG] It's in Palo Alto on the University....

* edit - closed [​IMG]

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/80336/...eria-Palo-Alto

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

My high school econ teacher put up the funding for that place. It was a small chain, maybe still is. We used to have class there sometimes.

10. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

I looove Chipotle. Try not to have it more than 2x a month or so though. Before moving to CA for school I was raised on Qdoba in Seattle (we didn't get a Chipotle until around the time I graduated high school- now they're everywhere). I still prefer them because their shredded beef is tastier and they have cheese sauce for nachos. I've thought about ordering nachoes at Chipotle before but I'm unsure how they'd melt the cheese...?

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Pro tip for vegs: the rice is cooked in chicken broth, so avoid.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

another one: eat some fucking meat, there's a food chain

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yeah, I know the place. I grew up in the area and I'm family friends with Dora but I couldn't expect someone who's used to eating Baja Fresh all their life to make the "jump" to something remotely authentic as that.

Baja Fresh>Sharky's>Yuca's>King Taco in terms of "authentic" Mexican. I'm not saying Yuca's is bad or is not legit, but King Taco is Mexican is as Mexican does.

I'm a fan of Yuca's and wish I still lived within walking distance. But shouldn't your "greater than" signs be pointing the other way?

Where's King Taco? Don't think I've been.

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

i went to the one in pasadena once, and they told me they didn't carry limes. i never went back.
    That's like going to a Tommy's chain and complaining they don't sell Pepsi in cans. Go to one of the original locations.
    I'm a fan of Yuca's and wish I still lived within walking distance. But shouldn't your "greater than" signs be pointing the other way? Where's King Taco? Don't think I've been.
    Yeah, they weren't meant to be "greater than" just shortened arrows ala "-->". King Taco has any number of locations and for a while they were at Dodger's Stadium. Obviously there are a couple out in East Los and the one mentioned by matador in Old Pas (which is really more to get your fix than having the "real" experience), but I always went to the on Pico since it was closer to school. http://www.kingtaco.com/locations.html Truth be told, I prefer Leo's Taco Truck on Eagle Rock Blvd as it's cheaper and I love the salsa.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That's like going to a Tommy's chain and complaining they don't sell Pepsi in cans. Go to one of the original locations.

Yeah, they weren't meant to be "greater than" just shortened arrows ala "-->".

King Taco has any number of locations and for a while they were at Dodger's Stadium. Obviously there are a couple out in East Los and the one mentioned by matador in Old Pas (which is really more to get your fix than having the "real" experience), but I always went to the on Pico since it was closer to school.

http://www.kingtaco.com/locations.html

Truth be told, I prefer Leo's Taco Truck on Eagle Rock Blvd as it's cheaper and I love the salsa.

gracias