• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Um, well, may as well get some material back since black is at a huge deficit. So... Bxe6, Now blunder the queen so that the positions are more or less equalized.

nd4

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Er... white has a pawn on d4, so that's not viable move, though that would be awesome, Voltron chess.

the d4 pawn took your knight at c5 the square is available

here is the board as i have it

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 5.34.54 PM.png

i do agree about the rook otoh it is in a good spot with regard to the both sets of pawns

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the d4 pawn took your knight at c5 the square is available

here is the board as i have it

View attachment 1971107

i do agree about the rook otoh it is in a good spot with regard to the both sets of pawns
Oh, I must have screwed up a move somewhere. We need to dial this back. I have this:
1686186477135.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i see what happened .

i took the knight at c5 with the d4 pawn ( not the queen ) so the white queen is still parked on d6 and the knight can indeed occupy d4 , my board is correct .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i see what happened .

i took the knight at c5 with the d4 pawn ( not the queen ) so the white queen is still parked on d6 and the knight can indeed occupy d4 , my board is correct .
That's true, but I may (nearly definitely) have played another move in that case. I played thinking that that square was secure and that the knight was pretty trapped (as it was before) Let's dial it back to your taking the knight and let's see what moves there are? Or maybe we just stop the simulation here.

Honestly, maybe this is where we end this little exercise. I really only had one point, which was that there was a bunch of continuation, which I feel like we've already shown. I mean, yes, you have a position that should be winning, but there is a categorical difference between "should win" to "will win".

I seem obsesssed with playing crap chess against the superbot though, and get smashed in various ways, sometimes we me playing better (1200, which is high for me) or... loower (650 level). That thing is brutal.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true, but I may (nearly definitely) have played another move in that case. I played thinking that that square was secure and that the knight was pretty trapped (as it was before) Let's dial it back to your taking the knight and let's see what moves there are? Or maybe we just stop the simulation here.

Honestly, maybe this is where we end this little exercise. I really only had one point, which was that there was a bunch of continuation, which I feel like we've already shown. I mean, yes, you have a position that should be winning, but there is a categorical difference between "should win" to "will win".

I seem obsesssed with playing crap chess against the superbot though, and get smashed in various ways, sometimes we me playing better (1200, which is high for me) or... loower (650 level). That thing is brutal.

let's leave it here we explored quite a lot , thanks for chopping it up that was fun . we'll find another scenario before long i'm sure .

i find the what-ifs a pretty interesting analysis , with daily games they have a whole conditional moves option where you can run through assumptions about opponents' moves , more or less like we just did . i'll be looking back at how the opening connected to later developments , how the center was influenced etc .

i dip into bots from time to time but i'm not a masochist lol .

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ngl seeing *brilliant* on game review is always nice

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ngl seeing *brilliant* on game review is always nice
I've been feeding my inner masochist amd playing the questionmaster. I don't even know why anymore. I think that I just want to test how many moves and defenses I know the theory for, and what is the depth of that. It's not great. I get a lot best moves and then excellent, as well as the inevitable misses and inaccuracies, but only occasionally a brilliant move. Weird how every competitive activity you do shows your personality. I just march people down. I am obviously not doing that in chess, but the tendencies seem to be there.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw they took the bishop . i am punishing accordingly

Screenshot 2023-06-10 9.13.44 PM.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw fok they took the bishop . i am punishing accordingly
Yeah, I looked at the board, and saw that it was going to lead me on a non-great king run. Here, white (me) to move. Thoughts?
1686457209232.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm looking queenside for white here . i'll edit further

ok your light squared bishop wins on b5 after axb5 if my notation is good

i look at black's a5 pawn and regard it as part of my defense so i'll likely leave it alone

but i'm also looking at a4 for the white queen

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads