• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok , after bishop takes e6 , in the case of kc7 :

i most likely take queen with rook re7 , but just for funzies lets go with qf8 .

i'll edit again that - as a white belt - i think my position is decisive and i'll force the issue sooner or later , maybe i'll get schooled but

against my actual opponent i think i will win

i'll edit again : i have the line lets do it !
Black plays Nd7

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black plays Nd7

white plays re7 , a must

lol well could be qe7 but i think the game is done

lets call it and play sometime , would be fun

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
white plays re7 , a must

lol well could be qe7 but i think the game is done

lets call it and play sometime , would be fun
Maybe. I am still in my training period, and am only playing bots at what Chess.com rates at 650-1200 level. I only know two openings for white, neither very well, one definitely better than the other, and my book moves are only maybe 6 moves deep, and then it's my chess intuition, which is far from great. I know that bots don't play like humans, so in addition to playing some 1200 rated bots (usually winning, but not I occasionally tilt), I have been studying the defense against moves like early Queen on the b file, which the bots never play, but beginners will because well, they are humans who follow trends and do trick plays, and bots do neither. But yes, sometime later, maybe. I also got my puzzle rating above 1800, but I realize that I am decent at checkmates and sorta at promotion and end game, but am bad at middle game tactics, so I am training with puzzles in those categories. at the 1000-1700 rating. Ugh.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what i mean by tempo is the c6 pawn never had an oppo to advance to c5 b/c of the immediacy of the attack which was not an empty threat as it turns out

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
na4 i know i know

but still look at my queen bishop and rook it's my board
b5.

It's a good board, but I mean, it's far from a done deal, especially at our level, which was my point in the first place. My original point, which is that our janky ass level, nothing is guaranteed unless tbere is actually a forced checkmate, and that their was not one imminent. This is white belt jiujitsu, where things swing up and down at lightning speed.

I mean, if my janky chess mind that just learned the rules and a few basic principles, can find a continuation, anyone who sits for a minute can find the same or better.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
b5.

It's a good board, but I mean, it's far from a done deal, especially at our level, which was my point in the first place. My original point, which is that our janky ass level, nothing is guaranteed unless tbere is actually a forced checkmate, and that their was not one imminent. This is white belt jiujitsu, where things swing up and down at lightning speed.

I mean, if my janky chess mind that just learned the rules and a few basic principles, can find a continuation, anyone who sits for a minute can find the same or better.
sorry it got late .

ok so b5 . i'll go rd7 .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry it got late .

ok so b5 . i'll go rd7 .
Wel, I mean, then Bd7 is forced. I guess that I should say Bxd7 (just figured this out last night after our conversation - like I said, I really am just learning. Can you post another screenshot of the board, please?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after bxd7 it should be this

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 9.01.42 AM.png
and i'll go qd6 check

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after bxd7 it should be this

View attachment 1970721
and i'll go qd6 check
Cool, I'll go Kxb7 and avoid check again. I think that we are on like, move 6? This board started poorly for black, but hardly indefensible, and while really not winning, you could still blunder a piece and then the tides change.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'll go Kxb7 and avoid check again. I think that we are on like, move 6? This board started poorly for black, but hardly indefensible, and while really not winning, you could still blunder a piece and then the tides change.

i'll point out that since the initial queen check i've gone from +3 to +16 and counting . your escape to c6 never materialized , my bishop is even still on the board after i left it to get 'murdered by your king' as i think you phrased it .

so i'll maintain that the initial queen check has been productive ,

here i'll check the king with nc5 .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll point out that since the initial queen check i've gone from +3 to +16 and counting . your escape to c6 never materialized , my bishop is even still on the board after i left it to get 'murdered by your king' as i think you phrased it .

so i'll maintain that the initial queen check has been productive ,

here i'll check the king with nc5 .
if you read my original post on this, it was not that this is not a winning position, but that there was a lot of continuation. You were saying that it was checkmate with Rb7, which was just... not true. I might not even have played the best move there, though I am pretty sure it was forced.

Um, Nxc5 taking back.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you read my original post on this, it was not that this is not a winning position, but that there was a lot of continuation. You were saying that it was checkmate with Rb7, which was just... not true. I might not even have played the best move there, though I am pretty sure it was forced.

Um, Nxc5 taking back.

there are indeed a lot of checkmate traps on the way to the position we have now , my point was that i had the game sewn up yes but i don't calculate past a couple moves .

we're talking about white belt ideas here so i'm not gonna quibble but i thought that the line worked to create pressure for black's queen , we had already agreed the g file was promising

anyways i'll take back with dxc5 .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics