• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sometimes playing 1200 ELO chess with 85% accuracy, and sometimes 600 ELO Chess with just ver 50% accuracy. I can generally tell if I'm doing terribly, but rarely if I am doing well.

board.gif

95% accuracy

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am taking some time off from ranked puzzle too practice end game puzzles, which often have a bunch of theory behind them, and also non-winning puzzles, in which the goals are much less simple. I also just need to go through the lessons more closely, so that I have a better, read some, understanding of what are good positional advantages, and how to get there.

This over the board jiujitsu is interesting - both enjoying and am finding it slightly frustrating and terrifying to be a complete noob again.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if had to choose i think this is my hardest fought checkmate , -10 in material to a known opponent , the pawn at f7 was decisive imho

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.13.16 PM.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if had to choose i think this is my hardest fought checkmate , -10 in material to a known opponent , the pawn at f7 was decisive imho

View attachment 1966745
Nice. I dunno how you got to this position though. Your opponent seems to have so many major pieces just sorta hanging out, doing nothing.

That past pawn has two major pieces pointed right at i, with zero repercussions for taking that pawn, and at least one of them had to have been in place before your move Qf6, and in fact, the rook would have moved to safety.

Do you use the game review? I bet that that was pretty wild.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I dunno how you got to this position though. Your opponent seems to have so many major pieces just sorta hanging out, doing nothing.

That past pawn has two major pieces pointed right at i, with zero repercussions for taking that pawn, and at least one of them had to have been in place before your move Qf6, and in fact, the rook would have moved to safety.

Do you use the game review? I bet that that was pretty wild.

it got there b/c they castled fairly late and i followed suit . the front moved to the fgh files . the pawn was protected the entire time , the black rook was irrelevant i had an imminent checkmate once the pawn was clear ( edit : of the 6th rank )

i'll edit again , the engine thinks i had a bad opening ( i did ! ) a great middle game and a flawless endgame , so as i said a satisfying earned finish .

you should play this dude he's a lot of fun . we're even at 3 apiece , he's pretty good at 10 min games

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my new favorite YouTube clip series is this cute girl, whose parents are Grand Masters.
She shows up and destroys the New York chess in the park dudes...

Reactions: Jen

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my new favorite YouTube clip series is this cute girl, whose parents are Grand Masters.
She shows up and destroys the New York chess in the park dudes...

Anna Cramling is super fun on twitch as well - her relationship and dynamics with her parents is very touching. I think that her parents, and mother in particular, is both proud of their daughter, and maybe slightly bemused by her success, and also not so quietly hoping that she would just study more chess, and spend less time making up dubious meme openings. She seems to really want to live up to her parents expectations as well, but is clearly not as dedicted a student as her mother. I think that you can see this in her hating endgames. Apparently, a lot of endgames are just theory - that is, a lot of them are fully calculated, and if you know them, you are guaranteed a win, or a draw, depending on your position, and can nearly premove, as long as you have studied enough and simply make no mistakes.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anna Cramling is super fun on twitch as well - her relationship and dynamics with her parents is very touching. I think that her parents, and mother in particular, is both proud of their daughter, and maybe slightly bemused by her success, and also not so quietly hoping that she would just study more chess, and spend less time making up dubious meme openings. She seems to really want to live up to her parents expectations as well, but is clearly not as dedicted a student as her mother. I think that you can see this in her hating endgames. Apparently, a lot of endgames are just theory - that is, a lot of them are fully calculated, and if you know them, you are guaranteed a win, or a draw, depending on your position, and can nearly premove, as long as you have studied enough and simply make no mistakes.
I also liked the one where she got to play a spontaneous game against Magnus.
She really held her own for quite a bit, and even had him saying, "oh good move, good move"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also liked the one where she got to play a spontaneous game against Magnus.
She really held her own for quite a bit, and even had him saying, "oh good move, good move"
Apparently. this is how she had her breakout as a streamer - she was charming in a very girl next door/kid sister, bright young person (depending on your age) way that made you cheer for her. She just is a lot more personable and less defensive than a lot of chess personalities, and while she clearly wants to win and dislikes losing, her reactions to both winning and losing are neither gloating nor angry, respectively. She is happy or a bit sad and disappointed.

Her cooking skills seem really, really bad, though. Not sure how you mess up cooking pasta with Halloumi cheese, though.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Her cooking skills seem really, really bad, though. Not sure how you mess up cooking pasta with Halloumi cheese, though.
Well, when you spend .99cents of your genius dollar on chess, something is going to fall through the cracks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, when you spend .99cents of your genius dollar on chess, something is going to fall through the cracks.
She has pretty good style, though she was probabloy not brought up with a ton of fashion talk in her household, and she is still too young to really have figured our her tastes completely. This jacket is pretty cool. Apparently, she took advantage of her travel to the US, and NYC in particular, to pick up some nice pieces.

1685649675813.png

I looked at her older videos, from when she was a teenager starting social media channels when OTB tournaments were all called off because of the pandemic, and she has definitely developed more of her own personal style, as might be expected of a young person going from what, 18 to 21?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'd agree with ac about endgames ... if it's all calculable then the study is there to be had , and not as particularly interesting , challenging , or as fun as the imaginative rigor of calculating openings through the middle game .

btw a fair share of my games end in the middle game . i love a crowded board esp if i'm going to take the time to develop rigorously .

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a game that i'm playing rn

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 7.25.46 PM.png
the board is quite closed , i feel good about my chances

what does the thread think is the most important square here ?

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a game that i'm playing rn

View attachment 1968235
the board is quite closed , i feel good about my chances

what does the thread think is the most important square here ?
I'm not an expert at chess (by any stretch) so I would say something like e5. But I honestly don't know how to evaluate such a thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads