The "Chelsea" Boot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oldskool, May 28, 2005.

1. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

I purchased a pair of 'Chelsea' boots by Tod's from the Barney's sale last year at 1/2 price. While I never thought that was a great style, they are comfortable. I now see that everyone makes a Chelsea boot, and it is no longer reserved for the Italian or European shomakers. By Chelsea boot, I am referring to the mid-height style that has an elastic strip on either side in liu of laces or alternate fasteners. It is extremely comfortable and versatile. I have worn with jeans, pants and suits. What is the wigh in on this style, and do you like them? example: http://www.eshopone.com/images/mens-...boot-brown.jpg

2. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Love 'em. I've got a pair of Kurt Geigers, with a split-toe in black, and a pointier pair of Donald Pliners in brown.

They're pretty versatile, but I think they work best if you're going for a mod-ish look; skinny pants/tie and a slim jacket.

3. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

I was wearing a very comfortable pair in soft black leather from Grenson today. I also have a pair in chestnut brown, and some from RM Williams of Australia, in dark brown kangaroo leather. They seem to go with almost every style of dress.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I have a pair in black and a pair in brown. So should everybody.

5. boston

boston Senior member

I have a waterproof goretex pair in black. I think they are *great*. Not good for the summer, but great for wet/winter months.

-boston

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

They're particularly useful when flying: easy to get on and off while going through security at the airport.

7. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

My dad used to wear the Chelsea models with the zipper on the side.  They were a staple of his wardrobe from the late '60s until the late '80s.  I actually like the look, though I wouldn't have been caught dead in them when he was wearing them (nobody wants to dress exactly like dear old Dad when they're a teenager). The modern ones seem a little cooler than the ones from a few years ago.  I've fancied a pair from R.M. Williams for a while.

8. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

You may like to look at this site: Boots Online I have ordered from them several times and had excellent service; their prices are certainly much lower than anywhere in UK, though I don't know how they compare with US-based suppliers.

9. dorian

dorian Senior member

Some of those RM Williams Chelseas look really nice.

What's the word on quality of their best?

10. dusty

dusty Senior member

I've never bought any Chelsea boots because I was always afraid the elastic on the side would wear out. I had some loafers with little elastic straps that wore out; it was unsightly. Can anybody put my mind at ease? Is there such a thing as high quality elastic?

11. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

RM Williams quality is fine. I bought mine on a recommendation from an Australian friend who has had a pair for years, which have been resoled several times. The side elastics can be replaced by a good cobbler.

12. dorian

dorian Senior member

On par with EG? C&J? etc....?

13. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

I can only compare RM Williams to brands I know; I would say they are comparable with Loake.

14. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Mine is a Weston 705 (old style, not the new square-toe last). Wholecut (no seam below the elastic), single sole. I would really want to order another from Weston, a grain leather, double sole, in black, as my rain shoe.

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

[​IMG] they call this a 'cuban heel.' is this just an australian moniker, or something ideosyncratic to r.m.williams, or is that an industry standard name? nice selection of boots there.