Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The center vented suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Nov 8, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

A lot of people here don't like the center vent. For me, I prefer double vents, dislike ventless coats on my body, and will buy a center-vented suit if I really like the other details of the suit (i.e. shoulder, fabric, drape, quality) and if I can get a good price. For me, between a double vented jacket where I really like the shoulder, and a center vented jacket where I love the shoulder, I'm sort of torn which one I would go for. Hence the reason for the poll.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

For me, a center-vent only on something in a really casual fabric, like corduroy or washed canvas or something - and even then, I'd still probably prefer side vents.

3. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Unless you are wearing the coat while riding a horse, center vents are not desirable.

4. MPS

MPS Senior member

I generally prefer side vents, but will occasionally order a suit with a centre vent, especially if it's tweed. There is a misconception, promulgated by well-known writers on style, that classic "English" suits don't have centre vents.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Why then do the majority of suit makers use the center vent? Even at the really top level suits, at least 1/3 use center vents predominantly, and I'd say at least 1/2 use center vents at least occassionally.

I don't think it is correct to say that "unless you are riding a horse" yada yada. That would be like me saying, "unless you are drawing a sword, side vents are not desireable." You must come up with another reason. One reason is that when your hands are in your pockets the jacket opes up exposing the rear. But in a non-vented coat is just creates bunching, which I think is much more unsightly.

Another reason -- primary for me -- is that a side vented jacket "skirts" better (much more elegantly, IMO). But I think that the center vents adds a very relaxed air to a suit, which makes a top level suit a bit more "wearable" in an office wear most people wear Perry Ellis.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Probably, as you said, just for conformity's sake. Why do we (even we) agonize and discuss about a ticket pocket on a business suit? Because it is a detail that may draw attention away from the business at hand, and some people do not feel they can afford that. Same thing for side vents. It is an "unusual" detail, and something that may make people who think less about clothing less likely to buy a RTW suit, as they are only used to the center vent.

7. Giona Granata

Giona Granata Senior member

unless you are riding a horse, yada yada [​IMG] Center vent is there for that matter; ok, may be you are riding a motorbike, ok? [​IMG] side vents are there to sit down and put your hands in pockets. No vents means that you do not sit down and do not put your hands in pockets, hence that you are in a high formal occasion.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Wouldn't side vents work just as well on horseback?

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I have only one jacket that has a center vent: A RL Polo SB 3-button blue ultra-light cashmere jacket (sports coat) that I purchased at an extreme discount.

Everything else I own is double vented. I like the look / design of double vented a lot more than single vented. In reality I rather have no vents than single vented.

Jon.

10. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

A center vent can be totally appropriate on a tweed jacket with hacking pockets but for anything remotely formal I prefer side vents. Perhaps this is just a fad today like the ticket pocket - I haven't been around long enough watching menswear to tell.

B

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

I only buy 2 vents but can imagine to buy central if the discount is interesting (for exemple side at -50% and central @ 70% on a suit of 1 200 euros)

12. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

I actually would think side vents would function better than a center vent for equestrian purposes. But then again, I don't ride, so what do I know....

If I saw a suit I really liked, I don't think I'd be discouraged by the center vent. You can't convert a center vent to side vents, but can't they always be closed up?

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The ticket pocket is hardly a fad. It's just popular at the moment in the mainstream clothing segments; but has been always a staple in traditional haberdashery.

Jon.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Correct on both counts. I bought a RTW DB tux, which was extraordinary in so many ways, but center vented(.). What an outrage. The store's tailor closed the vent, no problem. Considering that I wear it only a handful of times a year, it was a great value.

15. Len

Len Well-Known Member

NEVER....