The Casual Suit vs. Odd Jacket and Trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archibaldleach, Aug 23, 2013.

Casual Suit or Odd Jacket and Trousers

1. Casual Suit

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Odd Jacket and Trousers

56 vote(s)
    62.2%
  1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Ummm yea...

I wasn't doubting the fact that an odd jacket + tie is an option.

My point is that, for some people, it shouldn't be. The look has become a bit dated now and - for the group I mentioned - you'd often be better off in suit & tie or an open collared suit.

2. Cantabrigian

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I see where you're coming from, but I think that the cloth has to be pretty casual for the full suit to be more casual than the cloth worn as an odd jacket with odd trousers. One also must consider the trouser that would likely be worn with a particular odd jacket as casual odd jackets can also be paired successfully with more casual trousers (e.g. corduroy, moleskin, etc.). So it's possible that a casual tweed odd jacket with mid-grey flannels could seem more formal than a full casual tweed suit, but this may not be the case when the same jacket is paired with something like moleskins.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly, the houndstooth tweed cloth is the one you're using as an example of something that can be more casual as a suit than as an odd jacket and you're using brown and linen suits vs. odd jackets as things that are comparable to your navy suit example?

4. archibaldleach

Sounds like your position is that since the middle level of formality has mostly gone away, if you're going to something where a tie is a good idea, you should just wear the suit and not bother with some middle ground even if a suit isn't necessarily required. It kind of sounded like that from your first post, but this may be a case of us being products of our own (different) experiences and having some different frames of reference which we use as talking points.

I'm not sure I agree that the odd jacket and tie look is dated (I see a fair amount of odd jackets where I am), but it's entirely possible that this is a result of our living in different countries. If it was as dead of a look here as it sounds like it is in the UK for young men, I'd probably agree with you. Still, I do get the appeal of just wearing the suit. It will always look good and makes life a bit simpler.

5. Srben

Srben Well-Known Member

I, too, like the flexibility and variety that sport coats and odd trousers offer. In the most formal of situations, nothing but a suit (or the blue and grey, imo, a half step down in formality) will do, but for everything else, a sport coat and odd trouser ensemble allows for some very beautiful outfits. So much so, that I often have people tell me how much they like my "suit"...

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Are you seriously professing wearing a suit with no tie? It's the worst kind of business casual there is, and should be banished from a company's dress code.

7. Cantabrigian

Sure.

It's fairly common nowadys. Doesn't strike me as inherently better or worse than an odd jacket sans tie.

8. vida

vida Senior member

The versatility of odd jackets and trousers is unbeaten. I find they offer a lot more flexibility, particularly when talking about ties, shoes and patterns. And, let's face it, 99% of the world views odd jackets and trousers on the same level of formality as a suit.

+1

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

It's true -- the gap in formality between odd jacket with tie and casual suit is not a meaningful one anymore. The utility of odd jackets is, for me, tied to tielessness.

EDIT: A casual suit without tie also strikes me as fine, but a city suit without tie is only cool if worn with a loucheness borderline inappropriate for business. Otherwise, it's boring and incomplete.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

This leaves me to wonder how many people who are not cognoscenti of menswear are going to be able to descry the features that differentiate the casual suit from the city suit. After all, it has been mentioned several times in this thread that a great many people regard an odd jacket and tie ensemble as a "suit." And can't certain suits be on the border? My latest suit is made from a suiting hopsack rather than smooth worsted, and it has a ticket pocket, both features to pushing in the direction of "casual," but it is still conservative enough, I think, to be worn in any situation that demands a conservative suit.

I might mention that I, too, will wear an open-necked shirt with my casual suits but not my more conservative suits.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

As a member of the group mentioned (under 30, living in a major city), this makes me sad.

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I am a newbie in these kind of discussions so I enter with much trepidation...

My personal preference is a casual suit. I like the simplicity and I don't think I sacrifice wrt tie or shoe options relative to odd jackets and slacks (maybe some less options in patterns but I am not sold on that either). In my estimation a casual suit is much easier to get right than an odd jacket and slacks (but maybe I am just lazy :embar:).

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

14. archibaldleach

I don't think it's harder to pair one or the other with shirts and ties for the most part; it's more what we prefer when we're not dressed to the point of maximum formality (obviously excluding formalwear). Most odd jackets worth owning go with medium grey flannel or medium to light grey tropical wool or fresco if you're truly lazy, though.

15. bertie

bertie Senior member

Wait - did Cantabrigian just prophesy the death of the sport coat?