• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The casual / streetwear tie?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by my recent purchase (tartan pendleton tie) I feel the need for this thread
bigstar[1].gif

I pretty much inspired by EG styling of ties (which made me even want one in the first place), and the very casual way of wearing them, but are there any other good examples? ralph lauren perhaps? Feel free to post inspirational pics in absurdum!

Do´s and dont´s?
What kinds of shirt works with the street wear tie? And which really doesnt?

Plain button downs feels safe, but what about denim? or plaid?

Does a shirt have to be tucked for the streetwear tie to avoid teen hipster -land?

and so on...

Reaction score
Flannel tie in plaids are great for this application. I would not wear a tie with an untucked shirt, unless the tie is untied.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Plain button downs feels safe, but what about denim? or plaid?
Does a shirt have to be tucked for the streetwear tie to avoid teen hipster -land?

Denim could work. Plaid + tartan sounds very very busy.
The answer to the second question definitely yes.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only rule is what you can get away with, but generally:

The shirt fits close to the body and has shorter tails, higher armholes and a smaller collar.

The tie is narrow.

Shirt/tie combos are without number, but the default setting is a white or light shirt and a dark tie.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a denim western shirt with a navy blue necktie. Seems like it might have been in one of the old J. Crew catalogs. And it did look good.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about Angelos tie here? untucked shirt, twisted.. but kinda works imo:

DSC01044.jpg

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I really like the first picture you posted. The second, not so much.

Reasoning:
I think you need to be wearing something that gives your body shape if you're wearing a tie. Tucking in your shirt can give you shape by differentiating your torso from your waist and your waist from your arse. Just like a small knot makes a big head look bigger, a tie makes a wide body look wider.

It stands to reason, then, that skinny dudes wearing fitted shirts can get away with a tie and untucked shirt. And I think that's true.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all a matter of attitude and if you can pull it off, not how.

Now, I will say, there are a lot of douchebags who think they are the messiah of taste and style who wear untucked shirts with ties. I'm not saying that this can't work, but I'm saying that it's very very hard.

Now generally I would tuck my shirt in if I was wearing a tie. I would also avoid a wide formal looking tie. I would stick to a more narrow tie that isn't so conservative. Maybe like a knit tie, which would be very casual.

Also, don't do that half-assed tie knot hanging midway to your naval, chances are you'll look bad doing it. Don't over do anything.

A nice relaxed four in hand with a knit tie, tucked in shirt, and a casual jacket (not blazer, but blazer can work too) can be a very good look.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobo, Angelo is showing off the diaper part of that shirt, thats why its untucked, I think. He gets away with it, for sure, but he's also swathed and covered and surrounded with the whole aesthetic. I can imagine you wearing your new tie with a slim-ish chambray denim shirt, untucked, wider-legged denim, and red wings. If you tuck, I would suggest a rugged belt, nothing dressy. I would try and avoid wearing sneakers when wearing a tie as this would just make it look like you're trying not to look dressy.
My 2 cents
smile.gif

PS: What happened with the glasses? Did you end up getting them?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobo, the second one, as well as a western shirt in a similar to slightly darker color would work really good with a knit tie, especially as it starts getting a bit warmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics