1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Case for & against Three-Button Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Jun 14, 2012.

1. emc894

emc894 Senior member

I find the two button the most flattering on the average build. One is a bit too aggressive, three looks dowdy.

The below cut looks best going out at night but isn't a great choice for business wear.

[​IMG]

2. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

Is the line of the lapel the whole though? It's part of the overall jacket. There is something about the button and hole, even if you don't quite see them. There is an elegance there, that I just can't see in a two button. One button, sure. That has a boldness that is it's own justification.
    I've got a number of two button jackets in my closet, but I can't see ever buying another, as much as I hate to say never.

3. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

There is contemporary research that points to the vermiform appendix as a repository for intestinal flora, so that it may be repopulated after some debilitating illness. As gut bacteria is essential to the overall health of the individual, I wouldn't count the disparaged appendix out quite so quickly, nor the top button.

4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's like you read my mind man, spooky!

1 person likes this.
  5. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this cut for business wear. It looks most flattering on most people especially if bespoke. Would probably use a different fabric from the one in the photo though :)

6. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

you do sometimes see shorter men wearing flattering three button jackets

IMHO it is partly because it is unexpected that it is more impressive than a two button jacket would on the same person

7. SMatthews

SMatthews Well-Known Member

I'm a proud 2-button guy.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I might pop a cork.

Let's hope it is the right one.

9. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. DJosef

DJosef Senior member

Was there anyone of iconic status in the world of style - actor, president, nobleman, etc. - who regularly wore the kind of three-button that Amies was talking about (the "2 and a half", where the top button could be buttoned, but it's not supposed to be)? I'd love to see how it "really should" fit. :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I bet you'd find loads from the golden age of the three button - about 1960-1965. Terence Stamp? Michael Caine? (he has a nice suit on when he gets out of prison n 'The Italian Job' which was 1969), Belmondo, Delon, Steve Marriott? Bowie? Jagger? Watts?

12. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I was just watching The Italian Job today. The suit he walks out of prison in is very early '60s, and a two-button, but almost immediately afterwards there's a great scene of him buying a new suit from Douglas Hayward (who made the suits). That one (which has the button stance in question) shows up another scene or two later. Much later, immediately before the chase scene at the end, he's in a cream wool suit with the same button stance.