• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Captain-Save-A-Ho Effect

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
it's a pretty contrived plot, the woman is one of the hosts, her job is to be as bitchy as possible. They are supposed to berate the contestants.

but she took it too far when she resorted to physical assault to play her character. I mean, what if the dude knew self defense, grabbed her arm and broke it before anyone knew what happened? It's not his fault.

I think that's kinda what happened. He only realizes what's going on after he's hit her. It was an automatic reaction to an attack he wasn't expecting. You look at his face, and he is instantly sorry, you can see it in his face. That's why he starts asking why she slapped him.

He shouldn't have hit her, but then she shouldn't have hit him. She got what was coming to her, and that's where it should have ended. I hope he successfully sues the game show for those other arseholes jumping him.

BYucko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
I think that's kinda what happened. He only realizes what's going on after he's hit her. It was an automatic reaction to an attack he wasn't expecting. You look at his face, and he is instantly sorry, you can see it in his face. That's why he starts asking why she slapped him.

Nice observation. Didn't really notice this earlier, but now I do...

Thanks.

Oh, and HOW CAN SHE SLAP?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many people seem to be on her side, and picking on this poor guy. Bloody hell, I'd be out of sorts if some ***** slapped me on public television, then the whole bloody crew jumped on me.
I think people are misunderstanding if they think the whole crew jumped that guy. Watch closely, the co-host in the black vest is restrained for the first few seconds after, until the other guy starts pushing back and screaming, thats when he starts beating on him. Then everyone else runs in, but they're all restraining the co-host and trying to break up the fight. Then the guy brown shorts and flip-flops jumps in and starts whooping the guy. I'm guessing he might be somehow related to the hostess or something. But again, everyone else seems to be trying to break up the fight. I can't see where the rest of the crew is actually hurting the guy. Just the co-host and the guy in the brown shorts and flip-flops.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She's carrying a whip, so it's quite possible the whole show is about her berating them and maybe even smacking them. The guy shouldn't have gotten himself in that situation if he's so damn sensitive. I did feel bad for him during the beat down, but he's gotta be smarter than that.

choowy

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am not advocating violence against women.

However, with that said, I can understand what he did. He was slapped, he slapped back. It was a reaction. Pure and simple. It's not as though he came home from a bar drunk and decided to beat up his wife. He was a contestant on a game show - he was not expecting to be slapped by some faux-dominatrix.

Also, as Shraka above points out, the second after he slaps her, his face is a picture of shock and regret. I think his slap was simply a very poor reaction, to a very unexpected event.

But to reiterate my original point, violence against women is wrong.

And please do not draw parallels to what I'm saying to an "I'm not racist but..." statement.
blush.gif

flashback

Reaction score
I have been enjoying this video for a few days. I don't enjoy seeing the woman get slapped, but I love how mr. tough guy who slaps her immediately starts crying when he gets roughed-up. Seems like he was the real *****.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I have been enjoying this video for a few days. I don't enjoy seeing the woman get slapped, but I love how mr. tough guy who slaps her immediately starts crying when he gets roughed-up. Seems like he was the real *****.
Hey, we've got a captain save a ho right in here with us. You're an idiot.
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think people are misunderstanding if they think the whole crew jumped that guy. Watch closely, the co-host in the black vest is restrained for the first few seconds after, until the other guy starts pushing back and screaming, thats when he starts beating on him. Then everyone else runs in, but they're all restraining the co-host and trying to break up the fight. Then the guy brown shorts and flip-flops jumps in and starts whooping the guy. I'm guessing he might be somehow related to the hostess or something. But again, everyone else seems to be trying to break up the fight. I can't see where the rest of the crew is actually hurting the guy. Just the co-host and the guy in the brown shorts and flip-flops.
You're right actually. On closer inspection it's two or three guys who go after the contestant. The rest of the guys aren't really doing much to break it up though. They mostly look like they're just watching. Whatever. She shouldn't have hit him, he shouldn't have hit her (and you can see that he realizes that right away), and those two or three guys shouldn't have jumped him. I'm still on his side though. He was a contestant in a game show and he was in their care. He automatically responded to an attack without thinking. It's something people should take for granted: If they are violent, they may be met with violence. It's not okay to physically abuse people just because you are a woman.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
She's carrying a whip, so it's quite possible the whole show is about her berating them and maybe even smacking them.
I highly doubt anyone would participate in a reality show where the hostess assaults you, that whip is just for show, although I'm sure her role is to be a overly-critical ***** on the show. See the clip I posted about what happened 60 seconds before, the hostess was a Diva who flew off the handle because she couldn't get a reaction out of these guys when she was taking shots at their costumes and they chose to just stay quiet. She was about to walk off the set until her co-host, the guy in the black vest, tried to reel her in and keep the show going.
Whatever. She shouldn't have hit him, he shouldn't have hit her (and you can see that he realizes that right away), and those two or three guys shouldn't have jumped him. I'm still on his side though. He was a contestant in a game show and he was in their care. He automatically responded to an attack without thinking. It's something people should take for granted: If they are violent, they may be met with violence. It's not okay to physically abuse people just because you are a woman.
Agreed. She was really out of bounds for smacking him, he was also in the wrong (to a lesser extent) for smacking her back, even though it was a reaction. I think he could have handled it better. If I were him, I'd spit in her face and call her a slut on national TV, I think that would be punishment enough for her. I think the point where he really started to demonstrate poor judgment is when he started screaming and pushing, even though her co-host was just interested in defusing the situation (you can tell by his gestures where he approached the guy with his hands up and out that he wasn't looking for a fight at that moment) Only after he pushed the co-host and refused to calm down, did the co-host lose it and decide to lay a beating on the guy. And yes, while I feel bad for the dude, it is embarrassing that he cried.

Shraka

Reaction score
I think the point where he really started to demonstrate poor judgment is when he started screaming and pushing, even though her co-host was just interested in defusing the situation (you can tell by his gestures where he approached the guy with his hands up and out that he wasn't looking for a fight at that moment) Only after he pushed the co-host and refused to calm down, did the co-host lose it and decide to lay a beating on the guy. And yes, while I feel bad for the dude, it is embarrassing that he cried.
I think you're way off on this assessment. If you look at it, the host comes in an instantly pushes the contestant. I think he has his hands up to grab the contestant if he comes at the host. To being pushed, the contestant starts raising his voice. The host is aggressive, the contestant is already confused, high on adrenaline from being slapped, and is backing down. He makes no threatening moves, he just backs up, keeps asking how she can slap him, and points. The male host then charges in and starts punching him in the face. The other guy does not restrain the host. The contestant only pushed back after the first punch, and pushes at the hosts arms to deflect a punch. This seems to anger the host, and from then on I think it's mostly just the contestant getting wailed on, while the others pretty much stand by and watch it happen. They eventually break it up, but it falls apart again when they second guy starts laying into the contestant. At this point I think the piece of bad judgment on the contestants part is that he doesn't rip the second host apart for assaulting him. I would have put him on his arse for pushing me in the first place (or attempted to, I'm no highly trained fighter, and haven't done martial arts in a couple of years). Then again my problem from a self defense perspective is that I never expect violence, and my first reaction is to be shocked, not to counter attack. So if it WAS me, I probably would have just stood there when she slapped me in the first place, and sued the stupid game show later for all they had.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
No, hitting someone without expectations of being hit back is a ***** move. Women who hit men expecting men not to answer back are the true cowards, it's like beating a person who's sitting in a wheelchair.
Agreed. She was really out of bounds for smacking him, he was also in the wrong (to a lesser extent) for smacking her back, even though it was a reaction. I think he could have handled it better. If I were him, I'd spit in her face and call her a slut on national TV, I think that would be punishment enough for her.
Why? so she can slap you again?

flashback

Reaction score
Hey, we've got a captain save a ho right in here with us.

You're an idiot.

hahaha whats wrong dude, does your girl slap you up like that? You and that little crying ***** are REAL MEN, obviously.

gian

Reaction score
to answer the original question.. How does the Captain-Save-A-Ho effect overpower the bystander effect? its called conditioning.. think of fairytales.. the damsels in distress anti-violence against women ad campaigns your mother telling you never to hit a woman the movies we watch and believe it or not we were all programmed to see women as the weaker sex all of our lives this is what we've been told.. so when we see things like girls getting hit we instantly react to it, all men want to be heroes

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get some context for the second gif? That is savage.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
The beating dealt out to the dude was entirely deserved - not because he slapped the ***** (who the world would be better off without) but because he was dumb enough to go on such a marsupialed show.

...it's like beating a person who's sitting in a wheelchair...
Which, by the way, a woman cop very recently did.

MenAreBetterThanWomen.com
teacha.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
to answer the original question.. How does the Captain-Save-A-Ho effect overpower the bystander effect?

its called conditioning..
think of fairytales.. the damsels in distress
anti-violence against women ad campaigns
your mother telling you never to hit a woman
the movies we watch
and believe it or not we were all programmed to see women as the weaker sex

all of our lives this is what we've been told.. so when we see things like girls getting hit we instantly react to it, all men want to be heroes

Good thing the brainwashing didn't work so well on me.
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I saw a boyfriend begin to use force on his female outside of a Subway parking lot before. She looked over at me expecting me to play Captain-Save-A-Ho, instead I drove him to enjoy my sandwich.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads