• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cape.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
In what sense would a cape be more practical than a coat? Or even equally practical?

Mind you, I'm not against the whole cape thing. I'm just trying to understand the appeal beyond the quirky stylishness (which is fine).

A cape or cloak will shed more water than an overcoat of the same cloth, because it has less surface area and fewer seams.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1063585474_989ec8b3aa.jpg

Un_romantico_Weekend_in_campagna.jpg

aprilMay-EMAIL.jpg

Not a cape, but not far from one. Check the shoes, ascot, sweater, etc too.
2nrg8qr.jpg

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Sabres went out of fashion, too. So no fencing on the streets. A big step back.

Also the plebs has been jealous on the right of wearing sabres in public.
rimshot.gif

As we know sabres are, at least unofficially, quite accepted in Austria
lol8[1].gif
At least not everybody is allowed to fence nowadays thats far cooler than wearing capes.

Not a cape, but not far from one. Check the shoes, ascot, sweater, etc too.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brioni fur lined cape. £16,000

brionicape.jpg

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me quite a few years ago. In a cape. edit: sorry it's so massive, haven't quite got the hand of the whole photo posting thing yet

Artigas

Reaction score
PlateV.jpg

It's still authorized for U.S. Marines.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why did the cape fall out of fashion?

It strikes me as an eminently practical garment suitable for both rain and wind as well as having a certain casual air to it. You can easily put them on and take them off; they shield you from the element, and have a cosy aspect about them.

I suppose it's a somewhat theatrical garment, but trench coats, Chesterfields and the like have survived. Perhaps SoCal2NYC can post a picture of his own Raf Simons cape.

However, there are some unfortunate imagery associated with the cape--notably, obese Renaissance Fair participants and disreputable people of that ilk; but then one wouldn't expect anything remotely elegant from those types so a good cape is still safe to wear.

men-outfit-609-zoom.jpg

Has anyone actually seen this cape in the wild? I'm convinced it's some sort of inside joke. Too bad, cause I would wear it,

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no clue what it's called. I found it by googling for loden capes or something and ended up on a lot of german sites.

lofer_lodencape.jpg

Remember

Reaction score
A slim modern cape, i would defiantly go for. I think properly worn it would look amazing.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Why capes are no longer socially accepted is far far to complex to figure out. I would start with history, Social class, Pyschology, Sociology, then move on to things such as modifications of the cape idea, prestige, jobs, gov't the list goes on.

maybe capes will come back slowly. I'm sure "Gothic" people and Vampires have no problem wearing them, just get out the makeup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads