• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Buzzcut

TylerDurden

Reaction score
buzzcut.jpg
Hello All, First post, long time reader on here. Syleforum.net has been a resource i've been using to gain a sense of style, get good prices on clothes and just read about something im interested in (Info about me: 21, Live in Arizona). Anyway, to my question: The Buzzcut.
buzzcut.JPG
Longer hair is popular right now no doubt about it. But I have been noticing allot of guys have been going back to the buzzcut, back to the basic no maintenance haircut (I live in Arizona, where its +110F everyday, so that could have allot to do with it). A couple of coworkers were rocking long hair until summer hit, now everyone is shaving there head (Not that I want to look like everyone else, but the sytle goes well with me). I have been growing my hair out the last couple of months, but I can't seem to figure out how to style it. So im thinking, cut if all off. I just saw the movie Mr. And Mrs. Smith, and I like the way Brad Pitts hair looks (And the way Mrs. Smith looks (Who doesn't)..). I've worn the buzzcut before and got lots of compliments from ladies that I look very good with one. My question: As stupid a question it maybe, as this is a very simple haircut, How do I achieve the Brad Pit style short haircut/buzzcut. Is this just simply a buzz cut or is it a buzz on the sides and a 1 on the top? What should I ask the stylist/barber to cut my hair so it looks like the photos bellow? Example of the look im after:
050108_519_Brad_en_Jennifer_gaan_scheiden.jpg
brad_pitt150.jpg
Example from a the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith:
2005_mr_and_mrs_smith_001.jpg

TylerDurden

Reaction score
No advice on what to ask for? Ok. Im going to go get a haircut now, guess I'll just bring in a photo.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been tempted to do it too, since I wear a helmet on my commute every day now and on hot days my hair can keep my head pretty warm. Plus my hair requires a considerable amount of gluey stuff to keep it in any shape. The last time I did it I got some compliments on it, but I was bigger then and now I think it might not do so well. Anyway, I did it myself with a #1 all over IIRC. Good luck.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think long hair isn't as popular now as it was 10 years ago.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I've been told I look like Tom Cruise. Guess we have a similar face and same hair color. Any way, I wasn't asking if I'd look good with the haircut. Just what to ask the barber to do so it looks like that.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I've been told I look like Tom Cruise. Guess we have a similar face and same hair color. Any way, I wasn't asking if I'd look good with the haircut. Just what to ask the barber to do so it looks like that.
Just tell him you want it cut short.
sarcasm.gif
(sorry, just being sarcastic) The pics of Brad Pitt you posted are just short hair. If you take a pic to the barber / stylist that should be enough. No need to tell him what to use, he'll know. The hair in those pics could have been done with a clippers or shears (but probably with clippers as it's pretty short). I personally have short hair but I request that it be done with shears as it doesn't get quite as close to the scalp. I hate that buzzed cut on myself (and on white guys in general
plain.gif
) and I hate the way it feels, although it does look ok on Pitt. I like the look of hair, not scalp. But that's a personal preference and is different for everybody. So the point is, if you want it very short tell him to buzz it. If you want a softer look with no scalp showing (and slightly longer than Pitt's pic) then just tell him to cut it short. Some pomade would be in order to help it lay properly. Hope that helps.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A buzz cut is not complex enough to warrant any instruction beyond "Need a buzz cut. Use #(1 or 2)."

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I love a buzz cut! If I had the face for it, I'd have stuck to one, long ago. It's great for hats. Nothing to comb, after removing your chapeau. Also, I think a buzz can throw interest toward scarves, the lines of ones clothing, one's physique. Love it. Perhaps you should ask your barber just to cut, 'military short.' Another great looking cut, that I used to wear when I had a great head of hair, was called the convict, or Caesar cut. Each hair was layered, to perhaps half an inch in length. Absolutely loved that style.

corbu

Reaction score
I get my head shaved with a #2 all over and then have the hairline around my face faded with a #1. It tends to look a little cleaner, imo.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just tell him you want it cut short.
sarcasm.gif
(sorry, just being sarcastic)

The pics of Brad Pitt you posted are just short hair. If you take a pic to the barber / stylist that should be enough. No need to tell him what to use, he'll know.

The hair in those pics could have been done with a clippers or shears (but probably with clippers as it's pretty short). I personally have short hair but I request that it be done with shears as it doesn't get quite as close to the scalp. I hate that buzzed cut on myself (and on white guys in general
plain.gif
) and I hate the way it feels, although it does look ok on Pitt. I like the look of hair, not scalp. But that's a personal preference and is different for everybody.

So the point is, if you want it very short tell him to buzz it. If you want a softer look with no scalp showing (and slightly longer than Pitt's pic) then just tell him to cut it short.

Some pomade would be in order to help it lay properly.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. That was what I was asking.

Style guy

Reaction score
I got a # 2 yesterday. I was going to get a # 1 but it would be too short and I would probably end up with a sunburned head.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat-top, 1.5 on the sides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads