1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Boss jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Dakota rube, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Springsteen is releasing a 6-disc edition of Darkness On The Edge of Town next week. Six fucking discs! I've been a BruceFan for over 30 years, but jeeze...

C'mon, Bruce. Really?!?!?

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Legacy artists have to have something to keep the cash flowing.

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Legacy artists have to have something to keep the cash flowing.

Agreed, besides Christmas is just around the corner.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm probably not buying, but did you see the hbo special? really fascinating. and left the impression there was a TON of great recorded material that didn't make the final cut. and little steven wouldn't lie, would he?

5. Dakota rube

i'm probably not buying, but did you see the hbo special? really fascinating. and left the impression there was a TON of great recorded material that didn't make the final cut. and little steven wouldn't lie, would he?

But six discs?

I've never NOT purchased a Springsteen release. I think that string is going to stop.
    [​IMG]

6. PailWriter

PailWriter Member

The Boss is one of the few artists from back in the day who can still write great music. But a six disc Darkness? Yeah...that's going to be a tough one to lay the cash down on.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Better than six discs of Nebraska.

8. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

bet it sells better than the 12 disc Andy Partridge solo collection.
    disagree.

9. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Have you guys not seen those massive Miles Davis fusion-era boxsets? I think the smallest one is six discs. Granted, the process for creating the music is different, but still.

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I strongly disagree. Not only is Nebraska better as a whole, but, given its spare instrumentation, it's also aged a hell of a lot better than Darkness. In fact, on the Nebraska tour, Bruce did a stripped-down, Nebraska-style Darkness on the Edge of Town that was miles better than the album version.

All that said, it's music, and it's mostly subjective anyway.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I strongly disagree. Not only is Nebraska better as a whole, but, given its spare instrumentation, it's also aged a hell of a lot better than Darkness. In fact, on the Nebraska tour, Bruce did a stripped-down, Nebraska-style Darkness on the Edge of Town that was miles better than the album version.

the river's the best of both worlds. great, intimate songwriting but still some rocker anthems.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

will wait for the 52 disc born in the usa 2011 special edition release with an autograph on the included red bandana

13. Dakota rube

^don't forget the Courtney Cox replica panties.

14. JonathanHemlock

JonathanHemlock Well-Known Member

Replica?

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Where to kop?

16. willpower

willpower Senior member

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitn...yer/bruce.html Hmm. Well, at least the re/mastering sounds pretty good. I have a boot of a 1974 Texas radio station performance/interview with the stripped down band. It's amazing, and it's fun to hear Bruce complaining that southern audiences don't seem to react with much enthusiasm during their shows. Have a listen, won't you?
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

17. romafan

romafan Senior member

Springsteen is releasing a 6-disc edition of Darkness On The Edge of Town next week. Six fucking discs! I've been a BruceFan for over 30 years, but jeeze...

C'mon, Bruce. Really?!?!?

Did not see this thread! I am not a (huge) BS fan, but have always liked Darkness. IIRC, three of the six discs a dvd deals (not sure what - live shows and documentary) - of the 3 audio discs, one is a 'remastering' of the original, and then a 2 disc set of songs written for the album but not used. They are hardly filler/throwaways - he wrote some ridiculous amount of material for this record - this is the top stuff that didn't make the cut, including a bunch of tunes he gave to other artists (Fire, Because the Night, Talk to Me).

Rube - You can just get the double CD of the 'new' unused songs. Picked it up for $13....