• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The boss' bromance with the new guy

mixProtocol

Reaction score
Seems like you know what's going to happen - even if you do manage to get through the review. Consider having a frank one-to-one with your boss in the near future to get ahead of it. Perhaps ask for a mentor or suggest you get moved to an area where your skills are a more direct fit. Regardless, you should be searching for something more inline with your strengths.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Sounds like a tough time. It is what it is. But as I stated on my previous response, try to highlight your skills and if your current role really demands the coding you are not strong in, try to align into a role that better values what you are good at. Maybe it's better you move into a role for IT management? I know that maybe not be ideal as IT salaries are lower than DevOps and Development/Engineering. Also as I mentioned, there are opportunities for for people management in IT and Dev, you just need to find those jobs and position yourself for them.

As for Machiavellian tactics, do you want you need to do, but never burn bridges. Sounds like you've been working at this company for awhile. It's rather small world out there and if there anything you need to keep intact if you walk away from this company is your name and the integrity that goes with.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your boss recognizes your mediocrity and that this new guy can do your job better than you. Also sounds like you've known about your mediocrity for some time and haven't done much to improve as an employee. Your boss doesn't have a bromance with the new guy, he just recognizes that he does his job well, and from the sounds of it he does it better than you.

It might be too late for you. Why weren't you concerned about your performance before this threat came along? It just sounds like you're not interested in developing as an employee. If I can infer that from some posts on the internet then your boss recognized it a long time ago.

You need to change your attitude and improve your perspective on your job/career. You also need to learn to take initiative, ask for additional responsibilities, improve on your weak areas, and desire to improve your skills. You also need to network with your boss and everyone that he likes (including the new guy), as well as his boss and everyone they like. People are more likely to sympathize with you, help you out and advance you if they love working with you.

Finally, you need to recognize that this guy is a "threat" to you because you have failed as an employee, and that it's your problem, not his or your boss's. Set aside your ego. This guy is probably just really excited about his job, interested in developing his career, interested in getting **** done and advancing in the company. He's not trying to "take you out" or anything like that. Instead of treating him as a threat you could probably learn from him.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have this new guy on our team whom the boss is developing a bromance with. The new guy is better at some things I do. I feel threatened but don't know how to deal with this. Help.
You admit that he's better than you are. If you see it, then your boss definitely sees it. You're fxcked. Either nut up and increase your value, or bend over and take it.

It's not a "bromance." He likes him more because he's better than you. That's completely understandable.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads