1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Boat Shoe/Related Shoes Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, Feb 28, 2010.

1. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

I've got a pair of canvas Sperry's that I've worn for two years. Love them a lot, but I'm looking for a pair of leather ones now (brown or blue). Should I go with Sperry or Sebago?

2. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

I'd go with sebago, although they are pretty similar and it depends what you are looking for. I like sebago because they're leather is a little bit thicker and tougher so they maintain their original shape and resist creasing longer than sperrys.

However, if you like the broken in boat shoe look, sperrys would be better. In terms of styling they're almost identicle though

3. jet

jet Senior member

I don't know man, that's the anomaly of Sperry. Some people look gorgeous wearing it and the others aren't so lucky. It could be face related. If you look tough or thuggish then it won't work. Post your pic here maybe?

[​IMG]

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

These are about as grail as it gets- John Lobb Arima's, in burnt orange. Probably shouldn't take them anywhere near actual bodies of water though:
    [​IMG]

5. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

[​IMG]

I don't know what's funny about my post [​IMG]

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thinking about buying both of these: [​IMG] AND [​IMG]

7. plantifff

plantifff Member

How tight are Sperry's A/O supposed to fit on the first wear? I got a 9E, which is close but still feeling a bit loose. I can squeeze a finger between the heel and the back of the shoe with some effort, and the sides feel loose. Since apparently they stretch out some, I'm guessing I should try a 8.5D? I intend to wear sockless.

8. philie

philie Senior member

does anyone have an idea how much sebago fairhavens widen/ stretch?
    i have them brand new and they are very cozy. normally i would need half a size more, deciding to send them back or keep them.
    thanks

9. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

How tight are Sperry's A/O supposed to fit on the first wear? I got a 9E, which is close but still feeling a bit loose. I can squeeze a finger between the heel and the back of the shoe with some effort, and the sides feel loose. Since apparently they stretch out some, I'm guessing I should try a 8.5D? I intend to wear sockless.

This might be a tad large. Once the shoes get wet for extended periods of times, they'll stretch. My normal shoe size is a 12-12.5, but my Sperry A/O's are 11EE

10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

New user and first time boat shoe-wearer here, and I have a question about proper fit:

I bought my first pair of boat shoes yesterday (Sperry Top-Siders, in this color) and am unsure if I bought the right size. I bought a 10.5, and they are slightly loose throughout the shoe, although without much room to spare between my toes and the front of the shoe. I tried on a 10, but I can feel my toes touching the front of the shoe. It's not exactly uncomfortable, but I can definitely feel my toes against the leather when I'm standing in the 10s. Otherwise, I'd say the 10s feel much better throughout the rest of the shoe, as it's a more snug fit and there is no heel slippage when walking, as there is with the 10.5s (though only slightly).

I should also add that I am wearing these shoes without socks, as they are intended to be worn. I understand that the leather will of course stretch somewhat over time as the shoes are broken in, leading me to believe that the 10.5s that I bought will only further loosen. I have only worn the shoes indoors. Should I exchange them for 10s? I guess the better question to ask is how should boat shoes fit? Rather snuggly, even if that means toes touching the front of the shoes? Or maybe I have the wrong idea altogether, and boat shoes are supposed to be a little loose and "sloppy", almost like a slipper?

Thanks for helping out this boat shoe noob. I really like mine, but just want to make sure I get a properly fitting pair.

11. palma

palma Senior member

How do I size on the Yuketen boat shoes like these?

[​IMG]

Sperry 10: fit well, but just slightly loose on the length, not unwearble or anything
    McNairy Saddles 9.5: Fit is same as above
    Clarks DB 9D: Same as above
    Common Projects 9: Perfect
    LANVIN 9: Perfect
    Alden Indy 405: Don't own them yet, but remember trying a 9D and it fit pretty good.
    Red Wing Classic Moc Toe boot: I can fit 8.5E or 9E.

I am guessing in Yuketen boots I would likely be a 9D, but do the boat shoes run just as big? Should I size up to a 9.5?

12. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

From Epaulet:

Yuketen moccasins will break in quickly and conform to your feet. For sizing, It's important to consider how you'll wear them.

If you intend to mostly wear your shoes or boots with thin socks or barefoot, we'd recommend ordering 1/2 size down from your typical dress shoe size. This would be roughly equivalent to our sizing recommendations for the Alden Barrie & Tru-Balance lasts. So, if you typically wear a 10D in dress shoes, order a 9.5D. The majority of our customers choose to do this.

If you intend to wear your shoes or boots with substantial socks, then we recommend ordering true to size. This would be roughly equivalent to the Alden Leydon and Aberdeen lasts. So, if you typically wear a 10D in dress shoes, order a 10D.

Based on this, I'd say you should take a 9D.

13. palma

palma Senior member

From Epaulet:

Yuketen moccasins will break in quickly and conform to your feet. For sizing, It's important to consider how you'll wear them.

If you intend to mostly wear your shoes or boots with thin socks or barefoot, we'd recommend ordering 1/2 size down from your typical dress shoe size. This would be roughly equivalent to our sizing recommendations for the Alden Barrie & Tru-Balance lasts. So, if you typically wear a 10D in dress shoes, order a 9.5D. The majority of our customers choose to do this.

If you intend to wear your shoes or boots with substantial socks, then we recommend ordering true to size. This would be roughly equivalent to the Alden Leydon and Aberdeen lasts. So, if you typically wear a 10D in dress shoes, order a 10D.

Based on this, I'd say you should take a 9D.

Hi,

Yeah, I read that explanation on Epaulet's website. I am actually thinking about ordering this one form epaulet: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...e-Olive/Detail

I hope their advice does not apply to crepe sole style shoes only because for some reason I recall hearing that the boat shoes with rubber sole are TTS. I may be confusing another brand [​IMG] This is why I am torn between 9 or 9.5. Since I am in Canada...really trying to avoid returning as well.

14. effang

effang Senior member

looking for dark brown/burgundy boat shoes with brick/red soles. any suggestions?

i'm currently wearing topman grey felt boat shoes with white soles. they are decently comfortable, and pretty "summer" looking.