• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The biggest (and emptiest) mall in the world - South China Mall

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice example of having more money than brains.

Wonder how the guy got to be a billionaire?

dl

Benzito

Reaction score
it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a billion Chinese probably want instant noodles.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mall is located in Dongguan city, in Guangdong Province. Guangdong Province is next to Hong Kong - the railway from HK runs up into Guangdong Province.

Therefore, whilst most non-Chinese people might not have heard of Dongguan city, I'd bet that quite a few have heard of Guangdong Province.

Interestingly, Dongguan is actually quite a successful city, as Guangdong is in the heart of the "Special Economic Zones" that were originally created to produce items for export to the west.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Guangdong - Come for the South China Mall...
- Stay for the bird flu!

Shenzhen is in this province. Massive city... amazing skyline.

P.S. I am an American and have never been to China.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been as far as HKG but have heard of Guangdong. Asking me to point it out on a map is an entirely different story however
laugh.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Guandong Province was the first region of China to develop manufacturing export capabilities, largely because it was the easiest jump from Hong Kong once HK started moving up the food chain. Everyone who has posted in this thread, and likely even every single StyleForum member, is in possession of some good that originated in Guandong Province.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Guandong Province was the first region of China to develop manufacturing export capabilities, largely because it was the easiest jump from Hong Kong once HK started moving up the food chain. Everyone who has posted in this thread, and likely even every single StyleForum member, is in possession of some good that originated in Guandong Province.

+1

It's one of the most important cities most of us have never heard of.

Read bits of "Factory Girls" (about the effects of changes in China's economy on rural and working class women) and Dongguan/Guangdong figures a great deal.

This mall and its decrepitude are interesting, like the abandoned hotels in Dubai.

AZMJS

Reaction score
I suppose the documentarians confused Dongguan with Guangdong.

I know where both are, but I didn't know about this silly mall when I lived in Guangdong.

Probably because I didn't live in Dongguan

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
This mall and its decrepitude are interesting, like the abandoned hotels in Dubai.

What's this about abandoned hotels in Dubai? I remember when I was there 2 years ago the city was on steroids and grand hotels were going up at mind-boggling rates, and I heard that construction on most projects have basically been halted as capital has dried up. But I never heard that these are flat-out abandoned.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fidel, you may be interested to know that management from West Edmonton Mall did some consulting work for The South China Mall last year to try and get it on track. Doesn't look like it's worked. haha

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Fidel, you may be interested to know that management from West Edmonton Mall did some consulting work for The South China Mall last year to try and get it on track. Doesn't look like it's worked. haha
Hmmm... about the same time I saw a new Bentley start parking near the admin offices upstairs everyday. Those Gharmazians are pretty slick.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one of the most incredible things I have seen in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads