The Best Way To Tuck In Your Dress Shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voltronf0rce, Jul 25, 2006.

1. voltronf0rce

voltronf0rce Member

Hi,
    I know its pretty obvious, but some that tuck in thier shirts and it seems like it never gets loose. Is there some method that prevents it from getting loose and still leaves a slim profile.
    For example, folding along the sides or getting them tailored.

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

1. Get them tailored.

For me, it's a pain in the rear but I make sure my shirt is completely stretched (in a sense) then I put my pants on being sure not to pull my shirt up with them. I can't ever have my shirt too slim because I'm not built like most of the guys on this board (6', 195) but it still has a slimming effect and looks good on me.

3. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Alex Kabbaz once described something I think he called the "military tuck." Basically, you make pleats in the back, approximately where darts would go, and the waistband of your trousers can hold them in place. I've been using this ever since, and noticed that my shirt stays put for a significantly longer amount of time.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

1. Get them tailored.

For me, it's a pain in the rear but I make sure my shirt is completely stretched (in a sense) then I put my pants on being sure not to pull my shirt up with them. I can't ever have my shirt too slim because I'm not built like most of the guys on this board (6', 195) but it still has a slimming effect and looks good on me.

I do a similar thing. Buy really slim fitting dress shirts, not too tight in the chest, waist, etc, but ones that fit well for the most part, then put the shirt on first, then just pull the pants up over them. Seems to work quite well.

5. stach

stach Senior member

Tuck shirt into underwear. It helps.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I heard that buying big&tall (so that shirts have longer bodies) helps. Also there is nothing wrong with heading to the mens room a few times a day to retuck, especially after pitstops

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

NO NO NO, never tuck in your shirt into your underwear. If the shirt pulls out, just tuck it back in, no harm no foul!

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The way a shirt is cut has a major effect on how well it stays tucked in. First, it should be long, longer than perhaps most of us are used to -- well past the seat. Second,a trim hip really helps, as do buttons that continue almost to the bottom of the shirt. Third, it needs a definite waist, and its waist should fall at your natural waist. Fourth, back balance can be an issue for a lot of guys. If you have prominent shoulder blades, you need excess cloth in the top back to work around them. Otherwise the back will hang down straight from the blades and sort of "kick out" from your back and your shoulder blades and movement will effectively lift the shirt up over time.

9. stach

stach Senior member

NO NO NO, never tuck in your shirt into your underwear. If the shirt pulls out, just tuck it back in, no harm no foul!

Pour quoi?

10. mikeynyc

mikeynyc Well-Known Member

Pour quoi?

ha, I read that's where the term "panty waist" came from.
    I have a pair of Brooks Bros pants with a rubber strip sewn into the waistband. My shirt never comes untucked when I have those on.

other than that, several retucks a day is how I approach it.

11. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Alex Kabbaz once described something I think he called the "military tuck." Basically, you make pleats in the back, approximately where darts would go, and the waistband of your trousers can hold them in place. I've been using this ever since, and noticed that my shirt stays put for a significantly longer amount of time.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=16933

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Won't work for the commando types. [​IMG]

13. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Won't work for the commando types. [​IMG]

They anchor their shirttails firmly into their cracks. Tightasses.

14. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not an issue if you wear braces.

15. Bluesuit

Bluesuit New Member

... First, it should be long, longer than perhaps most of us are used to -- well past the seat. ... Third, it needs a definite waist, and its waist should fall at your natural waist. ....

If the shirt falls well past the seat doesn't it bunch up? Another question, you talk about the natural waist, I once got fitted for a pair of pants and the gentleman hiked them up so high I they would have only stayed on with a pair of braces, was this the proper fit / natural waist?