Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The best suit maker?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by laxexquis, Jan 23, 2011.

1. laxexquis

laxexquis Well-Known Member

So if you were a billionaire, or had unlimited budget for suits, where would you go and why?

Oxxford, Brioni, Kiton, Bijan?

What about Saville Row? the thing about Saville row is I don't know which specific shop is best, is there one that is known to be superior to others? Or are they are all great as they are saville row?

What about shoes? I'm assuming John Lobb?

2. dbc

dbc Senior member

So if you were a billionaire, or had unlimited budget for suits, where would you go and why?

Oxxford, Brioni, Kiton, Bijan?

What about Saville Row? the thing about Saville row is I don't know which specific shop is best, is there one that is known to be superior to others? Or are they are all great as they are saville row?

What about shoes? I'm assuming John Lobb?

It really depends on what you're looking for re fit, house speciality, etc. I doubt there's such a thing as the perfect suitmaker. That said, I'd really like to try out Rubinacci.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Well, if money were no object I would go bespoke all the way. I would love to go to the Row and just sample everyone...then head to Italy and do the same. I have a wide range of tastes...so I would try structured, soft, military style, etc.

But, that ain't happening. [​IMG]

Mike

4. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Well, if money were no object I would go bespoke all the way. I would love to go to the Row and just sample everyone...then head to Italy and do the same. I have a wide range of tastes...so I would try structured, soft, military style, etc. But, that ain't happening. [​IMG] Mike
    +1 Along my travels, I'd definitely also get a Sciamat suit or a few sport coats and some insanely priced Bijan... Maybe a few of them just for shits and giggles. Of course, don't forget plenty of Tom Ford anything.

5. LSU1990

LSU1990 Member

I like Oxxford. I don't know that I can say that they are the best, but to me I think the quality is exceptional. They offer a nice range of fabrics, and will do almost anything you ask. One of the big reasons is that I don't have to leave town. The shop here and the rep that services this shop are outstanding. That being said, I only have 3 Oxxford suits, and although I'm 42 years old, just reached a point in my life where I have become at ease with the idea of spending $3500 and up for a suit. The only other brand suit that I currently own is an H. Freeman MTM suit cut from a Holland and Sherry fabric that is very nice. Before 2008, I had never bought anything other than OTR offerings from various makers such as RL, Copley, and Jack Victor.

I will say that I continually lust after Kiton, and have given more than a fleeting thought to commissioning a suit from one of the Row tailors when they make their American swing, and like Mike says above, if money were no object, I would visit the various SR tailors as well as make a trip to Naples.

With regard to shoes, its Alden for me. They fit me, offer what I need, and don't break the bank. The beauty with Alden is that they will work with you to get you exactly what you want - as long a you are willing to wait.

6. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

If money was no object then I'd go for some Kiton, Thomas Mahon, Borrelli for suits.

Shirts I'd try Finamore and continue with Ascot chang

shoes-John Lobb of Paris

7. Threadhead

Threadhead Well-Known Member

Duh. Jacob Kozinn of course![​IMG]

8. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Duh. Jacob Kozinn of course![​IMG]

Will you at least post pics of your ware?[​IMG]

9. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

10. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

Will you at least post pics of your ware?[​IMG]
    that'll cost you a $25000 membership fee

11. Hermes Simplex

Hermes Simplex Member

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

that'll cost you a $25000 membership fee

That's false advertising. The website said $10k[​IMG]

What the price for CMT?[​IMG]

13. intent

intent Senior member

Billionaire? I'd just hire a tailor on staff if sartorial matters are such an integral part of my life.

14. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Billionaire? I'd just hire a tailor on staff if sartorial matters are such an integral part of my life.

Thats the joke I play with my friends. If I were billionaire I would travel with no security guys but 1 tailor[​IMG]

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I would beg a psychiatrist to send me to an infirmary - I could get a long ice pick hammered in my eye socket, hacking through my cranium, and rendering an appropriate lobotomy. Hopefully this would cure my suit obsessions.

Seriously though, Bespoke route all the way if money was no objective.