• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Socks for Most Men

datrat

Reaction score
What are the best everyday socks for most men?

I'm looking for something solid navy, perhaps ribbed, mostly cotton. For wear with mostly sneakers and sometimes brown calfskin derbys. Usually with outfit of jeans and OCBD, occasional blazer or suit. I want something I can affordably buy 10-14 pairs of.

When I say best, I'm NOT looking for the sock snob's $40/pair recommendation of the best socks in the world. I mean the best everyday sock.

What have you got?

datrat

Reaction score
Ah ha--Uniqlo, I didn't think of them. Looks like they have some good options, perhaps just what I'm looking for.

I had been looking in J Crew, Gap and found Brooks Bros cushioned sole sock but wasn't sold on it because I didn't like the colored stripes and was skeptical of if it was decent value given many people on here haven't said good things about BB socks.

I'll check out uniqlo, but are there any other options I'm overlooking? Is there a slight upgrade from the Uniqlo? Or is that it?

Last edited:

Contango

Reaction score
I prefer black socks Mon-Fri, and I’ve been wearing Uniqlo for a couple of years now and find they fade a bit too quickly, even using black/colour wash detergent. Pity, as they’re a great price and quite comfortable.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I personally get Lorenzo Uomo merino/nylon blend socks from Century 21, when they are available. The wool keeps them nice and fresh, and the nylon makes them last. They are also very thin, and they cost about $8 per pair. There are other similar socks available from other retailers. I might try the merino/nylon socks from AE when they go on sale.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Arket for this. Good quality, low price. For over the calf I use Sozzi.

DickMcVengeance

Reaction score
Uniqlo has worked very well for me when it comes to no-show socks. In terms of dress socks, I quite enjoy Ralph Lauren’s socks (usually the made in Japan ones) for something bright and fun. In terms of standby and solids, Kamakura shirts has some fantastic socks. I’ve got an over the calf pair from them that I absolutely love to wear.

John Wick

Reaction score
JCrew socks are nice. The quality is very good. And no, Uniqlo socks are not that good.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darn Tough more expensive than most at about $20 a pair when not on sale but they come with a lifetime warranty. They wear well for a real long time and after numerous washes and after more than two years I'm just getting to the point I need to return a few.

datrat

Reaction score
Yeah I saw jcrew's socks...problem was they dont seem to have solid and i'm just not interested in making statements through patterned socks...

I wasn't sure where to find the other brands mentioned around here on Long Island. I was specifically looking for a cotton one, in response to the guy who mentioned the wool one. For wool I only use smartwool. Smarts, I am certain, are good socks.

In case anyone is interested (cause it's SO interesting) I went ahead with uniqlo. Theres much to be desired (cushioned sole for example) but overall they're OK for a cheap sock. They'll work until I find something better (and I likely won't soon, which means until they wear out lol)

pemazel

Reaction score
Falke - the numbered ones (e.g. Number 6= wool & slik)

psychodealer

Reaction score
I really like Muji's organic. Longer than uniqlo and softer and seemingly better aging.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads