The best Saville Row tailors?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheDarkKnight, May 4, 2009.

1. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Hi All,

I live in Durham in England so can quite easily travel to London, therefore I would like to start a wardrobe of Saville Row suits, mid priced ones ( by Saville row standards) for work wear, and modestly high end for 1 or 2 evening wear very special suits.

Within these price ranges, which in your experience are the best tailors on Saville Row?

Many Thanks

TDK

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

What type of overall style do you like?

The best thing that you can do is to visit in person and build up a direct impression of which of the makers appeal to you.

There are also a number of tailors who are off-Row but more toward the City. They make for a more London clientele, and their prices are often appreciably less than those flying the SR banner.

- B

3. newtrane

newtrane Senior member

The best Savile Row tailor is Darren Beaman.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

You might want to learn how to spell 'Savile' first.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The best Savile Row tailor is Darren Beaman.

QFT

6. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

I don't have any SV row experience but I think "best" really depends on what you want as a client. On construction, I've seen excellent works from all of them but for me I'd go with Boateng because he also design and therefore offers more freedom in range as to the style that best fit your needs.

7. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

You might want to learn how to spell 'Savile' first.

Touche Jimmy [​IMG]

My style is a classic Italian fitted, slim look, without being to the extreme of the current ultra slim mod look

I have a great slim fitted suit from Gucci at the moment which is near perfect (but I'd like choice of colour and better quality cloth, but it's a good template)

Voxsartoria I like the sound of the off row tailors too, could you post links or their names please?

Thanks

TDK

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vox's advice is sound. You need to walk up and down the Row to get a sense of the differences between the various house's styles and, just as importantly, their temperaments. Ideally, you are looking for a tailor whose default look is one that you like and who you think you can get along best with.

Forums like this are a good place to do some basic research, but keep in mind that Savile Row is much bigger than what is represented in online chatter. There are several very good firms that have little web presence or few customers that talk about them online. That might lead you to overlook them, which would be a mistake.

9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I don't have any SV row experience but I think "best" really depends on what you want as a client. On construction, I've seen excellent works from all of them but for me I'd go with Boateng because he also design and therefore offers more freedom in range as to the style that best fit your needs.

You really are the worst.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

The Doyen of Saville Row tailoring is Andrew Ramroop at Maurice Sedwell so to him for your special suits. In that area though off the row in Stephen Hitchcock for the others. Steven is Anderson and Shepherd trained and his father is also a cutter of renown.

Beaman (who has been suggested merits the use of a barge pole to judge by reported experience on web boards.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

The Doyen of Saville Row tailoring is Andrew Ramroop at Maurice Sedwell so to him for your special suits. In that area though off the row in Stephen Hitchcock for the others. Steven is Anderson and Shepherd trained and his father is also a cutter of renown.

Beaman (who has been suggested merits the use of a barge pole to judge by reported experience on web boards.

You would do well to visit one or two before making up your mind.

12. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

You really are the worst.

worst what? What did I say that offend you so?

13. ohm

ohm Senior member

Touche Jimmy [​IMG]

My style is a classic Italian fitted, slim look, without being to the extreme of the current ultra slim mod look

I have a great slim fitted suit from Gucci at the moment which is near perfect (but I'd like choice of colour and better quality cloth, but it's a good template)

Voxsartoria I like the sound of the off row tailors too, could you post links or their names please?

Thanks

TDK

Use the search function. This board has lots of the information you are looking for. For example, http://www.styleforum.net/archive/in...p/t-47956.html Otherwise, vox's advice is good. Go there and talk to them.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Joe Morgan makes the best slim suit on SR, from what I have seen. Delightful guy, too.

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Something like Kilgour or Dege & Skinner have a nice structured slim look.

If you're after italian however, why not go Rubinacci?