1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The best place to meet women is...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by westinghouse, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

Case in point: I saw a cute girl near the towels. I picked up a towel and asked "is this a wash cloth or hand towel, what is the difference?" and "is it necessary to use a washcloth?" Also, "would you date a guy who hangs a wash cloth on a hand towel rack?"
    I work in the domestics section of a mid-tier dept store and guys hit on my hot coworker with the exact same stuff. Hate to break it to you, but that girl (like my coworker) probably thinks you're a fucking moron/live with your mom if you ask the difference between a hand towel and a wash cloth. If you want to flirt with girls in department stores, wait for them after they deal with an obnoxious customer and make up a story about your old retail job, even if you never worked retail. EDIT: AB reminded me this- this won't work if you just randomly approach them. If you want to chat, do it at the cash register or some time you're not being distracted.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

If you want to hit on girls in department stores, wait for them after they deal with an obnoxious customer and make up a story about your old retail job, even if you never worked retail.
    Or, better yet, don't hit on them. Women in service and retail professions get hit on constantly by obnoxious dudes all day. It's not fun for them, and they're likely to be highly guarded and annoyed if you even try. Best way to "hit on" a department store worker is to be flirtatious and friendly if she happens to approach you to offer help or something.

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I went there last night and got 3 phone numbers in ~10 minutes.

Secret? All I do is approach the target, pick up some obscure item, and ask them for their expert advice on the best way to use it.

Case in point: I saw a cute girl near the towels. I picked up a towel and asked "is this a wash cloth or hand towel, what is the difference?" and "is it necessary to use a washcloth?" Also, "would you date a guy who hangs a wash cloth on a hand towel rack?"

Try it, it works.

lol, I'm really going to try this. Will report back.

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Bars are the best place to meet women for sex. Everyday life is a great place to meet women you'll flirt with for awhile, maybe get a number from, and then never really do anything with. Either you'll never call her, or you'll call her and it'll be awkward for both of you.

If you're looking for a girlfriend or something, best place to meet women is through shared activities. Clubs, work, or whatever. You cut down on the artifice and awkwardness of having to compress romantic interest into a single event (random meeting or random bar encounter), and you give the relationship time to grow out of mutual attraction and flirtatious friendship.

I've converted a few random hookups at bars into LTRs, but the "LT" has never really been that long-term in these cases. The longest-lasting relationships I've had have been with classmates or co-workers; they've started off as sexually charged friendships (lots of flirting, hanging out together, etc.), leading to an inevitable hookup the first or second time we hit a bar together.

ding ding ding

5. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Bars are the best choice by far. The only place I could see even remotely comparing would be a sporting event like a baseball or hockey game.

...or volunteer work. Women have a thing for guys who do volunteer work.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

helps to be funny, you'll have them in stitches.

We figured an abortion clinic was a great place to pick up loose women!

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

"do you think these towels would be a good means of wiping my semen from the small of your back and my fingerprints from your apartment?"

8. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Put me down on the MetroStyles and ArrogantBastard side of the equation. I have never had "success" "meeting" women anywhere but bars and the work/class sitch.....well, marginal success at concerts.

9. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Well, my ENTIRE FUCKING SOCIAL life is bars and even there I don't meet available women on any sort of consistent basis. Who knows, maybe it's different for guys in metropolitan areas. When I go out, I don't see apparently single women in any significant numbers. I'm not even sure how prevalant bar hook-ups are around here. I've gone to bars several times a week for years and have only seem a person leave with someone I know they didn't arrive with on maybe three or four occasions.

I'm sick of being lonely. I've been sick of being lonely for years, but nothing changes. It's the same thing year in and year out. Ugh. I'm going to have to give internet dating another go.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Put me down on the MetroStyles and ArrogantBastard side of the equation. I have never had "success" "meeting" women anywhere but bars and the work/class sitch.....well, marginal success at concerts.
    +1 here too This chick Im running around with now preferred meeting people at church or something dumb like that and was REALLY hung up on the fact that we met at a bar, she thought that was just for sluts. She put up a thick bitch shield, but like a playa does I broke that thing down with the force of a thousand trojan warriors. oh and tagut - it is like that in big cities. I see hookups, one night stands, etc.. all the time. No exaggeration. If you're in a younger demographic area it will happen. Hope you get lucky though!

11. tricota

tricota Senior member

Am I the only one who would question the quality of a woman, who would give you her number, within 3 minutes...? [​IMG]

12. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Am I the only one who would question the quality of a woman, who would give you her number, within 3 minutes...? [​IMG]

I only get numbers within three minutes. Predictably, my call-back rate is abysmal (even when it was the woman who offered the number in the first place.)

13. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

oh and tagut - it is like that in big cities. I see hookups, one night stands, etc.. all the time. No exaggeration. If you're in a younger demographic area it will happen. Hope you get lucky though!

That's awesome, how much do you pay to watch?

14. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I'm sick of being lonely. I've been sick of being lonely for years, but nothing changes. It's the same thing year in and year out. Ugh. I'm going to have to give internet dating another go.

You need to stop going to lame dive bars and sit down and develope a comprehensive "Get Tagut Laid" campaign or a "get Tagut Into A Sweet Loving Realationship" campaign or whatever it is you are interested in. Along with the inevitable abuse and merriment, a thread on this topic may yield some valuable advice/techniques.

With your permission I would like to start a threak in DT dedicated to this purpose.

15. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

You need to stop going to lame dive bars and sit down and develope a comprehensive "Get Tagut Laid" campaign or a "get Tagut Into A Sweet Loving Realationship" campaign or whatever it is you are interested in. Along with the inevitable abuse and merriment, a thread on this topic may yield some valuable advice/techniques.

With your permission I would like to start a threak in DT dedicated to this purpose.

Have at you. Hopefully Metro will have some consultancy program.

16. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Metro is probably out getting laid so you will probably have to wait for that.

Im heading over to DT now.

17. tricota

tricota Senior member

I only get numbers within three minutes. Predictably, my call-back rate is abysmal (even when it was the woman who offered the number in the first place.)

Still, I doubt I would ever give anyone my number within 3 minutes - except for maybe Keira Knightley - and I dont think any selfrespecting girl would either...

18. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Hahaha. Actually I've considered this before - a friend told me that one of their friends actually teaches guys how to get laid and gets paid a few thousand a weekend to mentor a guy. It's not like Mystery from The Pick Up Artistsor anything, but still I guess this guy makes a decent living off this. Insane. What a job.

But alas, I have no skills at teaching and limited skills at hitting on girls. I guess in Manhattan all you need is to get buzzed, find a girl who is also buzzed, smile, and flirt. [​IMG] That will be $500.

19. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

I work in the domestics section of a mid-tier dept store and guys hit on my hot coworker with the exact same stuff.

Actually, this is a big misconception many guys have. They think if they somehow have the best line or phrase or approach that will somehow magically make the woman like them. This is ridiculous. If a girl is open to talking to you, you can say just about anything and she will respond (barring something offensive, of course). If she doesn't want to talk to you, she won't talk to you--if you say something clever, she might go a for a back and forth, but it will end there.

Since women will rarely approach a guy, you need to go up and talk to women, and eventually you will find one that is open to talking to you. It is completely believable that the OP got three numbers with cheesy lines. If he exudes confidence, playfulness, etc. and projects an image that the girls want (perhaps he is good looking, to boot), he could have just told them "Hi--my name is Santa Claus, what's yours?" and that would have been sufficient. If they want to talk to you, any excuse will do.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I went there last night and got 3 phone numbers in ~10 minutes.

Secret? All I do is approach the target, pick up some obscure item, and ask them for their expert advice on the best way to use it.

Try it, it works.

WTF does this even mean? You're old enough to be shopping at BB&B and you're unsure about their status?