• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best Paris hotel for under $400?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
What do you reccomend? I would love to stay at any of the big 6 palaces: Ritz, Crillon, Meurice, Plaza Athenee, George V or Bristol, but I can't afford $700 up. Even boutiques like the Lancaster and San Regis are too much.
The Luxury Hotels of the World group has the Raphael this fall for $425 and that seems to be a fairly decent bargain.
Any other candidates? I prefer rooms which are larger than those that they have at rather nice places like the Pont Royal.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why don't you ask ernest?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that by this stage, people would be afraid to reccomend anything to you. Notice how I didn't introduce myself!
biggrin.gif

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Why don't you ask ernest?

E*****t (banned) told me that he has only stayed at 5 hotels in his life and one was for s*x (censored). Come on guys, you can come up with something.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried hotwire? I was able to (blind) book the Hilton Eiffel Tower last spring for $99/night.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at that Francis Bown website, there's lots of French hotels!

(You know, the one where he's always "adjudging" things to be "excellent value" for "$1600/night").

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
E*****t (banned) told me that he has only stayed at 5 hotels in his life and one was for s*x (censored).
These secondhand Ernest quotes always have a kind of ineffable singularity about them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
These secondhand Ernest quotes always have a kind of ineffable singularity about them.
They're always rather droll in an Ernestian way actually. He's like the straight Paul Lynde but less subtle.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Caron de Beaumarchais in the formerly genteel Marais district is a good value with nice period furnishings. However, it requires minimum three months advance booking.

http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/

Rooms look rather tiny, but nice. However, I am leaving for Paris 2 months from today, so I cannot book three months in advance.
I always fear that Hotwire will put me up at some huge Meridien, Sofitel, Marriot, Hilton or Hyatt. Not my cup of tea.
Just below the top six ($700-$1,000 per night) Parisian palaces, there are Le Grand, Royal Monceau, Prince de Gaulles, Lotti, Vendome, etc. Anyone have any recent good experience with any of them them?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's "just below", why not splash out and go the whole hog?

The Sofitels in Paris don't appear to be of overwhelming size and actually have character and a certain charm. They also still own the Demeure chain of handsome boutique hotels. The Park Hyatt Paris is quite a nice bijou.

Omar Sharif lives, or used to, at the Royal Monceau -- a friend apparently lets him stay there for free. That's kind of cool.

Why don't you try the Saint James and Albany?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
If it's "just below", why not splash out and go the whole hog?

The Sofitels in Paris don't appear to be of overwhelming size and actually have character and a certain charm. They also still own the Demeure chain of handsome boutique hotels. The Park Hyatt Paris is quite a nice bijou.

Omar Sharif lives, or used to, at the Royal Monceau -- a friend apparently lets him stay there for free. That's kind of cool.

Why don't you try the Saint James and Albany?

Katia says that the Park Hyatt Paris is the hottest and best place in town. Good choice but pricey.
Two years ago we stayed at the Vernet, baby sister of the Royal Monceau and not far away. We were allowed to use the health spa at the Royal Monceau. It was super luxurious.
I even had a massage there. My therapist was quite a gourmet; she knew all the best spots. Her taste in clothes was less good; her favorite was the Gap. When I asked why, she said because the [then] model for the Gap was her favorite, Sara Jessica Parker, star of her favorite TV show, "Sex and the City." Quotes from her: "Everyone in France thinks Samantha is very funny. "Beeg is a beautiful man, but he is very difficult." She also told me about her favorite resident guest, Omar Sharif. She said that she had given him three massages and that he was so charming and nice; always a big smile for everyone.
I am considering the Royal Monceau; its renovations are now complete and it is the only hotel in Paris to have two restaurants
that have Michelin stars.
Last year I had Katia and E*****t (banned) check out the St. James and Albany for me; they said it was seedy. They also visited La Bourgogne et Montana and the Mansart at my request, but gave them both very negative reviews. So we stayed at the San Regis; lovely but tres cher.
Anyone jealous that I have my own personal shopper and hotel critics in Paris?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Royal Monceau is also where a certain Frenchman stayed whose incredible story is told in the very unsettling book The Adversary: A True Story of Monstrous Deception, by Emmanuel Carrere. Quite disturbing.

rgpuppy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
What do you reccomend? I would love to stay at any of the big 6 palaces: Ritz, Crillon, Meurice, Plaza Athenee, George V or Bristol, but I can't afford $700 up. Even boutiques like the Lancaster and San Regis are too much.
The Luxury Hotels of the World group has the Raphael this fall for $425 and that seems to be a fairly decent bargain.
Any other candidates? I prefer rooms which are larger than those that they have at rather nice places like the Pont Royal.

Try the Hôtel Luxembourg Parc...acorss from the Luxembourg gardens, just aboe St Suplice and 2 blocks from St Germain the great shopping street.

Web site is under same name...normally i stay there for about....$200 Euro...but i have been staying with them since they opened...rack rate is like 290-310 Euro

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads