The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by inimitable, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. althanis

althanis Senior member

3. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

4. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

@Razl, thanks for mentioning me. I think after this stuff is gone, imma have to lay it down. B&S is nowhere near a good as it used to be.

5. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

can't agree more... just see the crazy price
    $249 for a nwt belvest sc in 40
    $625 for a new kiton db sc in 38

6. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

That Kiton looks to be a woman's jacket -- the buttoning, the cut, the measurements. Nice jacket, but make sure you know what you're buying.

7. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

8. razl

razl Senior member

I wish it was different but I don't blame you, I'm surprised at how many small sellers are still making a go of it. As someone who was lucky enough to be around and take advantage of B&S in it's heyday (the years after the '08 meltdown) you're right on both sides, seller and buyer, it's just not what it was.

While I've had fun the past few months doing my little bit of CPR, but B&S needs a lot more time/effort/strategy than this or it's just going to continue to dwindle down to single seller classifieds as the smaller sellers like yourself give up.

I'm still amazed that the SF gods didn't capitalize on it better; SF B&S could have been Grailed or more.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Being able to filter by type, brand, and size would have gone a long way towards that goal I think.

10. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

FWIW, this has been brought up before. Fok said that implementing such changes would require significant investments, since they'd have to rebuild many parts of the vBulletin system, which is just an off-the-shelf product. I'm probably getting some terminology wrong but you get the gist.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

You could always further subdivide the B&S into "Shoes", "Suits and SCs", and "Other", which would be an easy way to filter.

12. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

On a separate but related note, the old B&S wasn't what it was - IMO- because of any user friendly sort or categorization tool. It rocked because it was the closest thing online to a chaotic flea market with amazing products and great bargains, very interesting sellers and very knowledgeable commentators who came together to make made buying and selling a communal, action packed and pleasurable activity in a raucous environment. It gave pleasure to buyer and seller. I remember updating the old B&S page every now and then to see what great deals were coming. Some may remember how we bumped the deals we thought deserved it right to the front page.

Of course it had its shortfalls but it made the whole thing overall a pleasing experience. And the best deals somehow always came to the forefront and kept the commerce flowing.

This B&S may be more efficient, perhaps it may have increased volumes compared to the past for all I know, but buying and selling on it is functional, mechanical and I suspect a reason some sellers complain of inactivity and unresponsiveness. It's certainly a lot less fun.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It also benefited from a enormous breakdown of retail business following the global financial meltdown...

Retailers are getting stingy with their discounts and it's showing up in the content for sale on the B&S.

On edit: if anyone wants to kick me a good guy deal on some 40.5 Vass, I'll show them that the B&S still works.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

14. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Old B&S works because price... 450 rlpl suit, 350EG, 25 incotex...