The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by inimitable, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Vass sizing is tricky [​IMG] But you can get plenty of first hand experience on the forum.

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I've generally gone half a Euro size up for the U last from my usual ie 43.5 for my 43 feet, and have been fine with that. 44 is slightly too big but okay with thicker socks. I've done this for about 6-8 pairs now.

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Hey, EP. Yeah - I am closer to 40L than R. 30.5 BOC is optimal for me. I don't tend to like striped suits and so I am on the fence about it. His other listings probably don't work for me because the pants are finished and my inseam is more like 34" than 31.5"

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

re: Vass - they always look nice to me and I have no issues buying second hand (in fact I often prefer it because I'd rather not spend $1,000 on a pair of shoes) and getting them re-soled if needed but I've never seen a Vass B&S listing in my size, which is mostly a US 12E.

5. razl

razl Senior member

Great deal, yes - but p2p of 21.5 on a 40 kills it for me. Ok, ok, maybe I need to hit the bench more...

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Yep, and there are so few places in the US to try 'em on if you don't have experience. (Free shipping from NMWA though.) Obviously B&S is not returnable, and a lot of people don't want to make that expensive of a mistake.

I'm the exact same size, 43 in P2, and 43.5 in U for the 2 pairs of Vass I already have.

Thanks @razl, for posting those in this thread or I probably wouldn't have seen them! Just a week or so ago I actually sold my C&J Cliffords on B&S mostly because I so rarely wore them. Basically swapping them plus a few bucks for some dark brown Vass (with trees!) that will get a lot more use seemed like a pretty great deal.

7. razl

razl Senior member

No prob, plus I'll add that I've enjoyed that strategy over the past few years on SF. Many of my mistake purchases were still able to fetch back mostly/all what I paid for them; in almost every case I was able to turn that back around into another purchase that was better. Granted, I had to sit on them and wait for a buyer - sometimes for quite a while - but in the end I don't think I've ever gotten stuck with anything that was a real hit.

That's actually a big upside here for savvy shoppers - yes, the seller probably won't take returns, but if you're knowledgeable and buying into something that you know has value and a market, you can probably (eventually) move them along and recoup. I can literally look at my shoe "collection" not so much as a string of purchases, but individual slots that had mistakes/replacements/flips to where they are now.

I would have gambled on those as my first Vass if they were in my size since I know I could float them here and resell them at the same price in a reasonable amount of time. It's a mindset, and there's some risk, but if you know what you're doing you can make it work.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

9. razl

razl Senior member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wouldn't go as far as recommending it for a 50... but great for a 54 looking for a trim fit, or a 52 looking for a comfortable fit

11. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I was moments from picking that up... then realized I wouldn't be able to fit a jacket underneath :(

Phenomenal coat

12. razl

razl Senior member

I'm an athletic 50 and toyed with the idea of buying and getting it re-cut. But of the few times I've tried that I never had great results, and one or two ended up being a total loss and donated. I'm not going to roll those dice again without better odds...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

13. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

14. Keen

Keen Senior member

15. razl

razl Senior member