The best Neapolitan ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by QuarantaLocatel, Dec 15, 2015.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't want to cut off the label on the back of a fine quality tie. You risk damaging the fabric.

I would simply buy another brand of ties with a more discreet label. There are numerous examples of attractive, smaller labels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

What makes a tie Neopolitan? What attributes are associated with a Neopolitan tie?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Being made in Naples?

4. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

The Borrelli and Capelli labels look to be about the same size as the Locatelli. What am I missing?

5. GusW

Compare them to the size/scale of the rear loop. The Locatelli is larger.

Maybe some of you don't mind larger labels. I've been surprised by the number of larger labels recently on ties, shirts and inside jackets. Most of my bespoke clothing has small or hidden labels, such as inside the chest pocket of jackets or discreet, small labels inside a shirt or the back of a tie. There is no reason for a large label. I prefer the elegance of something smaller.

6. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

So a neapolitan tie is just a tie made in Napoli? If Sam Hober moved his manufacturing to Naples, then his ties would be considered neapolitan?

What aspects of a tie make it Neapolitan?

7. QuarantaLocatel

QuarantaLocatel Well-Known Member

THE NEAPOLITAN STYLE....

Thank you for this question. I am more a designer for AQL, but I will try to explain.

Of course we are talking about a zone where a style of sartorial excellence is widespread and grown up in the centuries.
    Already in the nineteenth century, in the Naples area, there were textile companies very advanced. With the unification of Italy, many of them were moved to northern Italy. But, in Naples, it remained many excellent tailoring and manufacturing activities: about shoes, clothes and accessories.

So, there is a traditional neapolitan style coming from history, excellent tailoring and materials choice, and the aesthetic style. We cannot tell with a simple formula what is an aestetic style...
    About the taste of the neapolitan makers, may be that they benefit of an ancient culture stemming from the Greeks and Romans, and the dazzling beauty of the landscapes and the colors of the area. In the decades many celebrities have worn the Neapolitan tailoring, facilitating their success.

About the inspiring beauty of the zone, this is Positano on Christmas 2015...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

8. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Thank you for responding to my question. From what I just read, a Neapolitan tie is a tie that is made in Naples, Italy and uses excellent tailoring and manufacturing. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the logo if it is a Neapolitan tie.

With a Neapolitan sport coat or suit jacket, the following features would suggest it is Neapolitan: Spalla Camicia shoulders, 3 roll 2 button, higher button stance, higher gorge, open quarters, etc. No features with a tie?

9. GusW

I like the colors in the navy tie laying across the guitar. And yes, the label looks smaller in this photo compared to the previous one.

10. QuarantaLocatel

For example, in the last part of this thread there were so many posts about neapolitan ties makers, so on... http://www.styleforum.net/t/508123/neckties-a-discussion-thread/0_20

11. QuarantaLocatel

I like this Borrelli tie...

12. QuarantaLocatel

Of course there are the classical 3 folds too...
    this is another idea anout neapolitan ties (not mine), from http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/neapolitan-suits-jackets-style/

"Silk ties are printed, not woven, though there are many exceptions to this rule. The classic neapolitan tie is lightweight, with a three fold construction and untipped. While Rubinacci always keeps them at 8 cm, Marinella ties vary in width. 7 fold tiesare not really Neapolitan and hence mostly sold to Americans and tourists."

I don't agree about 7 folds as a product for tourists. :) It's not really so.

13. GusW

That is good to hear. I spent my entire career publishing art and design so I'm always delighted to see someone presenting something new and progressive. I like classic patterns but it can get a bit "old". Nice to mix some new with classic :)

I look forward to seeing more of your new tie and scarf designs.

14. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

Thanks!

15. QuarantaLocatel