• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best jean ever

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the best jean ever ?
Let's hear your reasoning and see if it's even Valid.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have 2 answers to this.

1. levis 501(vintage). this gets my vote for historical reasons. this is what your jeans are based on. the design of these set the standard. the Japanese have made a industry of copying them. the fade patterns are untouched. if it wasn't for these you wouldn't care about jeans.

2. cmf homme. these are my favorite, mainly because I'm a cheap bastard and haven't bought any really expensive denims. a reworked pair of rrl jeans, they started out as baggy Japanese selvage denim, made in the USA. one wash. i then took the crotch up about 2 1/2 to 3" which brought the inseam to 38" to facilitate bunching at the bottom, making the taper look almost straight when worn. i then tapered the legs to just skim my legs... im guessing here, but id say they are 22cm at the knee and 17cm at the hem. i then took all pocket stitching off, and took the painted on rrl branding form the suede patch on the back. the top, waist and hip area, have been left alone, making them a bit anti-fit so im able to skateboard in them, which is how i spend most of my free time. color is beautiful, starting a deep purple blue, fading to a bit greencast and then pale blue-white. denim is not overly slubby, more like 501 than pure blue.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now in my opinion, I'm going for the Studio D'Artisan 103's. I think the fit of these is perfect for me. Not too thin (not ball hugging), not too baggy. Perfect modern cut, not too low, not too high as well. Quality of denim is ok thus far, nothing to write home about (comparing to other standard JP brands) better than american, but not as good as better japanese brands like 45RPM, Pure Blue, or even Oni....but seriously, for my buck, these are the perfect jeans for me, after spending close to a grand in denim in the past 2 months, these are it man. I even considered getting the sulpher wash ones

2nd runner up goes to my trusty pair of non selvedge levi's Premium 527's. I've had these for close to 7 years now, these were the Levis 527 that were sold as the premium line, before you could get them everywhere. The cut of these is pretty different than the actual 527's they made in vast quantities, like slimmer leg, smaller boot fit, and the quality is really good. Although another pair i had did eventually rip in the leg.

in general, I really like the older late 90's Levis premium line/Red line. some real interesting jeans and cuts, and quality was top notch.

Chip

Reaction score
Mauro, Your sale still on??
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Hmmm... it's tough to say. Nothing out there is perfect.. at least not for me.

greentea

Reaction score
i think best jeans: julian red calis - saggy ass look wiht slim tapered jean i dont think has never been done before untill these guys came in to the scene. a defintie rock and roll must have in your collection. sd-103s, great slim,regular type fit.great deep indigo samurai 17 oz - best texture.seems like any of the series they put out which it be the vx-500 jin models , the way they weave and the texture is nothign ive seen ever done on american or european jeans. also they ahve the cool shiny selvedge.
teacha.gif

viking_mike

Reaction score
i really, really, really like julian red. the cali cut is great, so is the hoboken. nice wide, red line selvage. minimalistic, smaller back pockets (which I like), no pocket stitches...but over all the cuts are great...unusual and different. the washes they do are nice too...i have one that is a light black, grey that is nice. i really don't have one favorite denim brand but this is in my list of companies i like. they are relatively unknown and i think most who discuss them can't even get a hold of them. also julian red is the only heroin jeans company i know off
biggrin.gif
...plus i think the website is pretty cool...not as cool as nudie though...their site is the ****...best denim company site ever. i have always liked nudie too...just now a lot of people on the message boards are getting them (mainly the ralph cut). but the thin finn is a cool cut and i will be getting some in dry black when fos5 gets them in...i think nudie is starting to really get into the skinny jeans now with the long john and tight katy. also dior homme has cool denim...from what i have seen, i the fit is fantastic...wish i could find my size though. i am also awaiting some april 77 jeans...

giantreptile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greentea
i think best jeans:

julian red calis - saggy ass look wiht slim tapered jean i dont think has never been done before untill these guys came in to the scene. a defintie rock and roll must have in your collection.

sd-103s, great slim,regular type fit.great deep indigo

samurai 17 oz - best texture.seems like any of the series they put out which it be the vx-500 jin models , the way they weave and the texture is nothign ive seen ever done on american or european jeans. also they ahve the cool shiny selvedge.

teacha.gif

i second that with the Samurai Jin. that is a quality pair of jeans. but too hot for summer, in which case substitute with levi '47 repros.

tangerine

Reaction score
I'm co-signing on the original Levis 501; as CMF says, this is where it all started.

I haven't worn 501s in years and much prefer to wear SDA, Eternal, Rx45rpm and other Japanese adaptations, as well as Nudies and JR Calis, but if there can only be one best jean ever, it has to be the original.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang Classic 5 Pocket, especially in the raw denim varieties. Like all of Helmut's denim workwear/etc, it's a classic done better and with subtle modernity: Ultra-slight taper, great streamlined, rigid cut & fabric selections. No back-pocket nonsense, either. Jeans for jeans' sake. They'll never go out of style, IMO.

giantreptile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Helmut Lang Classic 5 Pocket, especially in the raw denim varieties. Like all of Helmut's denim workwear/etc, it's a classic done better and with subtle modernity: Ultra-slight taper, great streamlined, rigid cut & fabric selections. No back-pocket nonsense, either. Jeans for jeans' sake. They'll never go out of style, IMO.

hmm..interesting. all of my pairs of helmut lang's have an 'ultra-slight' bootcut rather than taper. maybe mine are alternate universe, made by gelmoot krang.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's 501 for me, particularly the 1947 cut. This is the standard to which I judge my other jeans. I wish Levi's would use really really good denim and hardware on them. I wouldn't mind paying some extra money for those. All the talk about the actual denim is nice, but at the end of the day, it's all about the cut. Regardless of how nice the denim actually is, natural indigo, slubby, etc.,. if the jeans doesn't fit well, I won't wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads