• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best derby brogues ever? RLP C&J Marlow in pebble grain

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I saw these on this slide show: http://men.style.com/theupgrader/sty...ay=false&cnt=1

Then today in person in a Ralph Lauren store. They are so beautiful. I like them better than the shell version, I think.

But $795? That is insane. They are just benchgrade C&Js. They were 30% off at Ralph Lauren today, but I feel like we'd need 40-50% off $795 to make them a good buy.

How do others feel about these shoes? I think they might just be the best derby brogues I've ever seen...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
I saw these on this slide show: http://men.style.com/theupgrader/sty...ay=false&cnt=1

Then today in person in a Ralph Lauren store. They are so beautiful. I like them better than the shell version, I think.

But $795? That is insane. They are just benchgrade C&Js. They were 30% off at Ralph Lauren today, but I feel like we'd need 40-50% off $795 to make them a good buy.

How do others feel about these shoes? I think they might just be the best derby brogues I've ever seen...

Heresy!

They do look nice in that pic. Not sure i've ever seen them in person, but the shell ones are great. I can't believe that pricing, however. That shoe is basically just the Cardiff, which is available from plal for about $350.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the Cardiff available in the RL brown cordovan?

lefty

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Is the Cardiff available in the RL brown cordovan? lefty
Only from RL, or I assume by special order ($$$). But it's otherwise the same shoe, same last, same medallion. The RL calf version is pebble grain, but honestly I think I'd prefer it in calf rather than pebbled. EDIT: No storm welt on the Cardiff, FWIW.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Only from RL, or I assume by special order ($$$). But it's otherwise the same shoe, same last, same medallion. The RL calf version is pebble grain, but honestly I think I'd prefer it in calf rather than pebbled.

EDIT: No storm welt on the Cardiff, FWIW.

Just curious. I have both the RL scotch grain and the cordovan. Love that brown colour. But not at $795.

I was at T&A the other day looking at shoes while Mr. Jones of Crockett & Jones was there. The SA said that Jones was on his way to RL, so maybe there will be a few more rebadged C&Js at RL.

lefty

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett

I have the shell cordovan verson - they are definitely worth it. I've seen the pebble grain version in the stores, but only rarely, and not on sale in my size (otherwise, I would probably also own it). It is probably one of the better pebble grained shoes on the market and arguably better than the old florsheims. Is the slide show version dainite soled? The one I saw in the store a few years back was leather soled.

Looking that slide show, the Thom Browne shoes don't look very good for the price.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Just curious. I have both the RL scotch grain and the cordovan. Love that brown colour. But not at $795.

I was at T&A the other day looking at shoes while Mr. Jones of Crockett & Jones was there. The SA said that Jones was on his way to RL, so maybe there will be a few more rebadged C&Js at RL.

lefty

Awesome.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I feel silly for not having known. Of course it's the Cardiff (sans storm welt).
These RLs had Dainite storm welted soles, while the cordovan ones had storm welted double leather soles.

The C&J benchgrade medallion might be my favorite for wingtips.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really dig the Marlow medallion too.

The Pembroke may be the Dainite-soled version?

EDIT: It is, also on the 325, but only in "cavalry calf"

RE-EDIT: In Plal's new catalog, Pembroke is available in Scotch Grain, and also in a wide fitting.

slt

Reaction score
I have the Pembroke with a Dainite sole, and it certainly seems to be identical to the RL.

The Pembroke in Scotch grain has been in the CJ Stock catalog for a number of years now.

I agree that the color is great, as is also the case with my other CJ Scotch grains, i.e. Coniston and Chepstow, and they only get more beautiful with time.

arkangel8373

Reaction score
Double Marlow Madness!!! Just got back from raids on the RL stores in SF and Palo Alto. Bagged the pebble grained Marlow's in San Francisco and the cordovan pair at the Palo Alto store for $230 a pair. What a way to square away the 2008 Shoe Collection!!!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arkangel8373
Double Marlow Madness!!! Just got back from raids on the RL stores in SF and Palo Alto. Bagged the pebble grained Marlow's in San Francisco and the cordovan pair at the Palo Alto store for $230 a pair. What a way to square away the 2008 Shoe Collection!!!

Cordovan Marlow $230?Are you sure?What store is it?I though only grain dainite sole were at $230.

arkangel8373

Reaction score
it's the RL store in Stanford Mall - Palo Alto. You're right - it was a deal too good to pass on. the pebble grain had the dainite soles.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arkangel8373
it's the RL store in Stanford Mall - Palo Alto. You're right - it was a deal too good to pass on. the pebble grain had the dainite soles.

Can you look at your receipt and give me your 12 digit UPC number,it should be on the receipt or on the box?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads