• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Cutting Board (for my knives)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should add...other than the small bamboo board that I use for small things like cutting limes for drinks, almost all of the food prep is done on solid plastic boards.

Prepared (cooked) meat is sliced on a wooden board, as is bread but all the raw bits are cut on something that I can occasionally clean a little more vigourously.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
I use this about once a week, works for me. Teach me.

Thomas is a much better teacher, and you can search some threads that he has about it (Manton started one not too long ago). In my experience, sharpeners like that often go dull pretty quickly and then just damage your knife. Not only that, but your knife may not have the same bevel angle that the sharpening grindind surfaces are set to.
I just think it's a much safer and smarter idea to use a wet stone.

Also, if you are sharpening your knife weekly, you are severely hurting its longevity and probably damaging the blade, which depending on your knife could be very costly. I use my wetstone about once a month or once every 6 weeks. As long as you're honing properly before every use, keeping your knife sharp enough shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're breaking down sides of beef every couple of days with your 10".

andyw

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I use the sharpener on several Globals and thay are matched to the bevel. I cook most nights with lot of prep, so using the fine grit wheel brings the blade to attention. Coarse grinding wheel maybe once a month or when noticeably in need.

Considering what I spend on shoes and the wear they suffer, I'm way ahead on the knives.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I love my bamboo cutting board more than anything. I think I even started a thread here when somebody ran it through the dishwasher (I literally soaked it in mineral oil for a few days and now its almost good as new)
I saw that thread, and that's pretty awesome performance, I just worry about prematurely wearing my knives.
....what kind of steel are your blades? I would think sharpening is part of the normal routine, rendering the board surface a non-issue, no? If you prep often and alternate between meat, veggies, etc. while cooking, I think ease of cleaning and mobility are perhaps more important in determining cutting board material and size.
The bulk of them are German stainless but I have some 62 or better Rockwell Japanese stainless blades with the sharp bevel. These are what concern me as I wish to use them more.
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Highly recommended - Dave at www.theboardsmith.com
Very nice. Me likey. Thanks.
Originally Posted by SField
Always have several cutting boards. I only have a really beautiful (John Boos) cuttingboard for veggies. For poulty, fish, and beef, I have separate colored antiseptic plastic ones that I use. (yelow, blue and red respectively).
This is what I am planning on -- great wooden board for the veg, and continue with the plastic for the meats. Though I admit I don't differentiate except for the fish.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Bamboo is very hard on your blades, especially if you keep them restaurant sharp. Rock maple is best and, as Manton points out, periodic oiling with something that won't go rancid (NEVER use vegetable oil, etc).
They are. And this is what I worry about. Bamboo seems to be some seriously tough stuff.
OK, thanks. I use the sharpener on several Globals and thay are matched to the bevel. I cook most nights with lot of prep, so using the fine grit wheel brings the blade to attention. Coarse grinding wheel maybe once a month or when noticeably in need. Considering what I spend on shoes and the wear they suffer, I'm way ahead on the knives.
Do you steel your blades? The phrase 'bring to attention' is exactly what a steel does.
Originally Posted by Reggs
Boos is a nice place to buy from: http://www.johnboos.com/residential/index.cfm
Lots of Boos reccos -- am surprised they seem fairly reasonable. I thought even the countertop blocks were pretty much untouchable. ~ Huntsman

SystemShock

Reaction score
To all the people using PLASTIC cutting boards for meat and poultry, thinking that it's better/safer than wood because it's a non-porous surface, well, don't. Wood is actually better for meat, fish, poultry, etc than plastic. I used to date a woman who worked in the Department of Health, as a restaurant inspector. She told me that they and everyone else USED to think plastic was safer as a meat cutting surface, even to the point where they mandated that restaurants use such cutting boards. They later found out, she said, that they were very much wrong. Wooden cutting boards apparently have some sort of resins in them that actually make them safer than most anything else. And many plastic cutting boards were actually a bit more porous, on the microscopic level, than previously thought. Wood > plastic. You heard it from 'the heat*' herself.
worship.gif
Oh, and I now use a Boos. * that's what I used to call her. But she said that actually the law is pretty slanted towards NOT closing down restaurants, unless the owner/operators are just beyond hope

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SystemShock
To all the people using PLASTIC cutting boards for meat and poultry, thinking that it's better/safer than wood because it's a non-porous surface, well, don't. Wood is actually better for meat, fish, poultry, etc than plastic. I used to date a woman who worked in the Department of Health, as a restaurant inspector. She told me that they and everyone else USED to think plastic was safer as a meat cutting surface, even to the point where they mandated that restaurants use such cutting boards. They later found out, she said, that they were very much wrong. Wooden cutting boards apparently have some sort of resins in them that actually make them safer than most anything else. And many plastic cutting boards were actually a bit more porous, on the microscopic level, than previously thought. Wood > plastic. You heard it from 'the heat*' herself.
worship.gif
Oh, and I now use a Boos. * that's what I used to call her. But she said that actually the law is pretty slanted towards NOT closing down restaurants, unless the owner/operators are just beyond hope

See now everyone will want to know why you called her that.... I've heard that too, but I've also heard it's because the fibers tend to wick the bacteria-laden fluid into the board. If it's well oiled I wouldn't think that would be the case, immiscibility and all, but I don't know. I can toss my plastic boards in the dishwasher on sanitize though, and I bleach them now and again. I can't imagine bleaching a Boos! I don't necessarily disagree, I just worry if I could sleep at night.
smile.gif
~ H

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't necessarily disagree, I just worry if I could sleep at night.
smile.gif

Zero problems here with the Boos, honestly, and I cut everything on it. I think the wood soaks up the bad stuff, and then the resins kill the bad stuff, but you'd have to ask her for a proper explanation. I only ever seem to get food-poisoned at restaurants... not dives either, more like mid-range family restaurants. Inexperienced cooks who don't cook pork long enough should be beaten savagely with a 7-iron.
angry.gif
Oh, and obviously she was called 'the heat' because she had the power to close down the business. Well that, and she was rather imposing... six foot two. Kinda wish we were dating still. She was very interesting. ...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all the people using PLASTIC cutting boards for meat and poultry, thinking that it's better/safer than wood because it's a non-porous surface, well, don't.

Wood is actually better for meat, fish, poultry, etc than plastic.

I used to date a woman who worked in the Department of Health, as a restaurant inspector. She told me that they and everyone else USED to think plastic was safer as a meat cutting surface, even to the point where they mandated that restaurants use such cutting boards. They later found out, she said, that they were very much wrong.

Wooden cutting boards apparently have some sort of resins in them that actually make them safer than most anything else. And many plastic cutting boards were actually a bit more porous, on the microscopic level, than previously thought.

Wood > plastic. You heard it from 'the heat*' herself.
worship.gif

Oh, and I now use a Boos.

* that's what I used to call her. But she said that actually the law is pretty slanted towards NOT closing down restaurants, unless the owner/operators are just beyond hope

Have you ever seen a John Boos cutting board? Do you have any idea what a place would look like with 4 of them? Pro kitchens all use plastic cutting boards, and there are ones available right now which are almost completely non-porous. I have a big wooden cutting board simply because it's pretty, but I don't want/need 4 of them. Cutting your veg on the same board as fish or whatever else is revolting, and no, not all woods are antiseptic. That makes no sense.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a John Boos cutting board? Do you have any idea what a place would look like with 4 of them?

Pro kitchens all use plastic cutting boards, and there are ones available right now which are almost completely non-porous. I have a big wooden cutting board simply because it's pretty, but I don't want/need 4 of them. Cutting your veg on the same board as fish or whatever else is revolting, and no, not all woods are antiseptic. That makes no sense.

LOL, well, since I use a Boos, I'd assume I know what one looks like. What an odd question.

Anyways, to each their own. I use one Boos for most everything, have never been food poisoned, and don't find using a board in this manner revolting in the slightest. I do cut served-cold veggies before the meats, of course, but this is not hard to remember to do.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use this about once a week, works for me. Teach me.

As Huntsman noted, if you're not steeling your knives, then you'd likely be well-served by steeling them before each use and grinding/honing when performance starts to suffer. You can grind every time, but it's wasteful - particularly since you're probably grinding away a folded edge that can easily be straightened with a steel with no degrade in performance.

As far as the method to sharpen, many roads lead to Rome. I like having complete control over the process, and am willing to learn, study, and practice to get my knives exactly how I want them.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
I saw that thread, and that's pretty awesome performance, I just worry about prematurely wearing my knives

The bulk of them are German stainless but I have some 62 or better Rockwell Japanese stainless blades with the sharp bevel. These are what concern me as I wish to use them more.

(...)~ Huntsman

I wouldn't be especially concerned about wearing out your Japanese knives. Even accounting for the comparatively acute bevel angle, the steel should hold up very well. I adjust my technique by putting a bit less downward force on the blade and letting it slice cleanly.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all the people using PLASTIC cutting boards for meat and poultry, thinking that it's better/safer than wood because it's a non-porous surface, well, don't.

Wood is actually better for meat, fish, poultry, etc than plastic.

In theory this may all have some supporting logic, but in practice, both wood and plastic boards have been used in the restaurant industry for decades and the incidence of food poisoning or contamination from either board alone is practically identical (i.e. near zero with common sense usage).

My local taqueria uses a white plastic cutting board to cut meat pork, chicken, and beef 14 hours a day and nobody is getting sick from this.

That said, to answer the OP, get an end grain in wood. Better feel and better for your knives.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always have several cutting boards. I only have a really beautiful (John Boos) cuttingboard for veggies. For poulty, fish, and beef, I have separate colored antiseptic plastic ones that I use. (yelow, blue and red respectively).

We use the coloured plastics to keep certain raw materials separate -- we only use wood for bread/cake ...
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads