• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that her father, a famous double-bass player, wore black suede shoes with rubber soles-- for comfort, as he would be standing for much of the evening's performances. She was once at a concert and had to listen to two women natter on forever about why he couldn't afford, or recognize the necessity, of proper shoes on an occasion like that. Life in the 70s.

I was recently speaking to someone who grew up in Europe but now lives in the US. She grew up at a time and place where dress codes were more important, and people would constantly natter on -- as you said -- about how someone wasn't dressed "correctly." Reminded me of the more unpleasant side of formal dress code type societies, and how it's a bit more relaxed now.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently speaking to someone who grew up in Europe but now lives in the US. She grew up at a time and place where dress codes were more important, and people would constantly natter on -- as you said -- about how someone wasn't dressed "correctly." Reminded me of the more unpleasant side of formal dress code type societies, and how it's a bit more relaxed now.

A bit...

A few years ago I was on the board of the ballet here, which is fairly well respected. Opening night is usually a great opportunity to wear black tie, and it happened to be unseasonably warm. While there were a pleasing number of guests in black tie, there were also a number of men wearing shorts and t-shirts.

I get that dress codes and standards have relaxed, etc. But I also think that a lot of people are just clueless. I also noted that at least 2 of the men in shorts were with women wearing nice dresses, which makes me sad as the father of a daughter.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that her father, a famous double-bass player, wore black suede shoes with rubber soles-- for comfort, as he would be standing for much of the evening's performances. She was once at a concert and had to listen to two women natter on forever about why he couldn't afford, or recognize the necessity, of proper shoes on an occasion like that. Life in the 70s.
Was it Charles Mingus?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A bit...

A few years ago I was on the board of the ballet here, which is fairly well respected. Opening night is usually a great opportunity to wear black tie, and it happened to be unseasonably warm. While there were a pleasing number of guests in black tie, there were also a number of men wearing shorts and t-shirts.

I get that dress codes and standards have relaxed, etc. But I also think that a lot of people are just clueless. I also noted that at least 2 of the men in shorts were with women wearing nice dresses, which makes me sad as the father of a daughter.
I don't think it is clueless. I think people just don't see a "good" reason to wear something stuffy. I have the money to be here, so I will wear what I want.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is clueless. I think people just don't see a "good" reason to wear something stuffy. I have the money to be here, so I will wear what I want.

I'm sure there is some of that, but its also a matter of degree. There are plenty of stops between black tie and shorts. I think some level of being clueless may be involved here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The colours in my photos are too yellow but you'll get the idea of how black suede looks with a smart and dressy last. This is Crispin's Classic-last.

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com02.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com12.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com14.jpg
Thanks for posting. This kind of confirms that I'm not a fan of black suede. I can do the various shades of brown, green, or blue suede. Black suede just isn't my thing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TBH, I'm all for people wearing whatever they want. If they want to enjoy a nice ballet and don't have the "right" clothes, that's fine. Some people don't have the clothes, the inclination, the interest, or whatever. My parents don't wear tailored clothing, or really any "nice" clothing of sorts. But my mom likes doing nice things.

We've gone to places with strict dress codes and she tried to dress as well as she can. But you know, even those places, I was surprised to find, some people are in shorts and tees. Didn't detract from my experience of whatever we were there for.

In general, I'd like to see men approach clothes with less anxiety ("am I dressed right" or "will I look out of place") and people be less judgemental about what others are wearing (the whole pearl clutching "my god, look at what that man is wearing"). IMO, if you liberalize the system even more, people can even wear suits in offices without having to worry about whether they stick out.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

konoyaro

Reaction score
I'm having my first pair of "custom" (MTM actually) shoes made up. These will be cap toe with medallion.
Aside from looking at examples by various makers, I'm looking for a good resource online for medallion designs. I'm curious what folks here use for their inspiration.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bernhard Roetzel has a new book on bespoke shoes. Torsten over at Sartorial Notes recently interviewed him here:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bernhard Roetzel has a new book on bespoke shoes. Torsten over at Sartorial Notes recently interviewed him here:

Hugo Jacomet just published one in the same topic as well, in French. We non-German-French-speakers just have to wait a while for both these books to be translated to English.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choice of Cleverley - when I commissioned the shoes in September 2018 - was based on their reputation as a bespoke shoemaking firm; a reputation which, I have since discovered, is based primarily on the work they did years ago, or a 'select' percentage of their current work.

Me not surprised Teemu and Dominic leave.
Me hope Cleverley do better in the future and fix the problems.
They do excellent work when pushed,

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hugo Jacomet just published one in the same topic as well, in French. We non-German-French-speakers just have to wait a while for both these books to be translated to English.
My review is coming. Just trying to wait for a way to buy the Hugo book without giving one of the Amazon companies my money.

Kobletas

Reaction score

My first ever bespoke shoes, by Raz Maftei. I was intrigued by his entry in last year's Shoemaking Competition and paid him a visit last autumn, when in Vienna. Turned out to be an excellent choice and I fully recommend him to those who have trouble with fit, as he's also familiar with orthopedic work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads