• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I’d have no problem getting a bespoke shoe in suede since that’s my favorite material for shoes. However, I don’t wear a suit often so maybe if I did, I’d lean towards leather for the cost of bespoke.

Those suede oxfords posted a couple pages back are amazing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you haven't already come to terms with the fact that the former is who you are?

I'm slow! Imagine asking a store what's their sale when they have a webstore. I'm like that, but a little slower.

I’d have no problem getting a bespoke shoe in suede since that’s my favorite material for shoes. However, I don’t wear a suit often so maybe if I did, I’d lean towards leather for the cost of bespoke.

I don't wear suits very often. This would be almost strictly for sport coats. I suppose I just like how smooth leather ages more than suede, but I still wear suede RTW shoes. But maybe not everything has to be optimized. May get a pair of suede split toes still.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bespoke suede is likely to be a better quality, as well. As good as EG MTO is, my Cleverly Oxfords are much, much better.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never worn suede shoes, but many people I know who do seem to have good luck with them as far as wear and tear goes. I like the patina they get and from what I observe they never seem to crack with age like smooth leather shoes do. I find this odd considering they don't get conditioned and the nap probably catches dirt and soot and such. I have always found this ironic.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never worn suede shoes, but many people I know who do seem to have good luck with them as far as wear and tear goes. I like the patina they get and from what I observe they never seem to crack with age like smooth leather shoes do. I find this odd considering they don't get conditioned and the nap probably catches dirt and soot and such. I have always found this ironic.

Something about you never having worn suede shoes just makes sense to me :)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the exotic front, I have to imagine makers are going to adjust to the new California crocodile/alligator law. Friends in the watch industry are already scrambling over straps.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something seems wrong about black suede shoes.

I rarely wear black shoes, but I have been toying with getting a pair of black suede. Something about the texture softens them enough that I feel like I'd get more wear out of them. I probably wouldnt though...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Something about the texture softens them enough that I feel like I'd get more wear out of them. I probably wouldnt though...

If they're reverse calf, and you take care of them, and all other things are equal, you probably will.

It's not too surprising, if you think about it...the 'nap' is loose and soft enough that any grit which collects in the creases is 'cushioned'. On a grainside shoe, the grain is firm enough that accumulated debris is forced against the very short fibered grain surface and rubbed back and forth.

It's not an accident that most (if not all) cracking takes place in the creases.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're reverse calf, and you take care of them, and all other things are equal, you probably will.

It's not too surprising, if you think about it...the 'nap' is loose and soft enough that any grit which collects in the creases is 'cushioned'. On a grainside shoe, the grain is firm enough that accumulated debris is forced against the very short fibered grain surface and rubbed back and forth.

It's not an accident that most (if not all) cracking takes place in the creases.

Good to hear from you again :)

I didnt mean that they would last longer, as you had covered that topic recently. I was making a comment about actually wearing black shoes, which I am not often found doing. Perhaps suede giving them a bit of a different look instead of black calf would inspire me to wear them more often.

Language, and it's ability to both convey and confuse will never cease to interest me. Especially when I use it in such a way that confounds the reader and obscures my intention.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bespoke suede is likely to be a better quality, as well. As good as EG MTO is, my Cleverly Oxfords are much, much better.
Something seems wrong about black suede shoes.
I've sometimes thought that a pair of black suede Oxfords would be just the thing with a woollen flannel dinner suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will from ASW has a pair of black suede oxfords, which he wears with grey flannel suits. I thought they looked nice, but they are a niche item.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a black suede chelsea would be cool, but as boots aren't high up on the list, the black suede chelsea is even lower.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colours in my photos are too yellow but you'll get the idea of how black suede looks with a smart and dressy last. This is Crispin's Classic-last.

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com02.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com12.jpg

Saint_Crispins_black_suede_monk_shoes_from_Keikari_dot_com14.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that her father, a famous double-bass player, wore black suede shoes with rubber soles-- for comfort, as he would be standing for much of the evening's performances. She was once at a concert and had to listen to two women natter on forever about why he couldn't afford, or recognize the necessity, of proper shoes on an occasion like that. Life in the 70s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads