• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He has done lots of things (studied at cordwainers college back in -83, so he's been in the business for a while..), but was a lastmaker at Cleverley for 10 years. Left 2016.
And before that he was at Lobb St James IIRC

Manuel

Reaction score
Do you really believe that someone who has been working with Lobb, Vass, Cleverly, G&G assures you a perfects pair of shoes? Why?
I'm so sorry but you make me smile.....
Making a pair of shoes with a perfect fit is very very difficult, you don't learn that in a year, or two, or three, or four.......
You need to be working 24 hours a day for years, working with all types of foots and master the trade no just one part.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And before that he was at Lobb St James IIRC

Don’t think so. He’s been at James & Taylor, freelanced as maker for Fosters and Cleverley (before starting there as lastmaker), set up Georgina Goodman production, teached at Royal college of art, and running lastmaker house with Steven Lowe (previous Lobb lastmaker), but never worked for Lobbs.

ixk

Reaction score
Apparently Bestetti's company might have gone under. Many bespoke orders not going to be fulfilled. How sad.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He did, relatively briefly in the very very early days. Back in like the 20s or something, during or straight after cordwainers

Alright, didn’t know, he didn’t bother to mention it when I interviewed him for the blog a while back ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious what are people's thoughts on bespoke suede shoes? I feel like "regular" leather ages better because you get a patina. And while I like suede shoes in RTW, bespoke shoes are expensive, so I'm a little more careful about how my choices will look in the long run.

For kicks, a photo of some old Henry Maxwell bespoke shoes once owned by Douglas Fairbanks Jr., which was sold to the writer David Coggins during the big Fairbanks auction many years ago

gte872h

Reaction score
Curious what are people's thoughts on bespoke suede shoes? I feel like "regular" leather ages better because you get a patina. And while I like suede shoes in RTW, bespoke shoes are expensive, so I'm a little more careful about how my choices will look in the long run.

For kicks, a photo of some old Henry Maxwell bespoke shoes once owned by Douglas Fairbanks Jr., which was sold to the writer David Coggins during the big Fairbanks auction many years ago

View attachment 1288600

I’ve been wondering about this as well. This pair below was what sparked my curiosity.

13335A97-8487-4235-8F3F-8632AD440410.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of bespoke suede shoes. At that price, I'd prefer to get regular leather shoes or something exotic. I could probably get on board with the suede gatorskin but that's about it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of bespoke suede shoes. At that price, I'd prefer to get regular leather shoes or something exotic. I could probably get on board with the suede gatorskin but that's about it.

I've also thought about getting gator loafers, but it's hard for me to tell whether I'd wear them terribly often. I'm a little worried about them being too flashy. And it's hard to judge gator shoes online cause most ready to wear models look .... not great.

I know three well-dressed guys who own gator loafers (maomao, vox, and Will at ASW). One said that he finds he doesn't wear them very often because they're so flashy. Another said he's just embraced being an old clotheshorse. I can see gator loafers working in that context, but not sure I have the panache necessary to pull off that vibe.

ixk

Reaction score
I've also thought about getting gator loafers, but it's hard for me to tell whether I'd wear them terribly often. I'm a little worried about them being too flashy. And it's hard to judge gator shoes online cause most ready to wear models look .... not great.

I know three well-dressed guys who own gator loafers (maomao, vox, and Will at ASW). One said that he finds he doesn't wear them very often because they're so flashy. Another said he's just embraced being an old clotheshorse. I can see gator loafers working in that context, but not sure I have the panache necessary to pull off that vibe.

Channel your inner Russian oligarch, get yourself a Zilli jacket and you're good to go.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember years ago someone had gatorskin bespoke Corthay Arca's here. I think that person ended up selling them because they never got worn. If I had the money, I'd get a pair of gatorskin loafers made but I can't afford to drop nearly $10k on RtW Corthay or John Lobb shoes. I'd probably get them in a brown or a black.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Channel your inner Russian oligarch, get yourself a Zilli jacket and you're good to go.

Exactly the vibe I want to avoid. A younger guy in gator shoes sound like it borders on "punchable dickhead" rather than "punchable, but somewhat intriguing, old guy"

ixk

Reaction score
Exactly the vibe I want to avoid. A younger guy in gator shoes sound like it borders on "punchable dickhead" rather than "punchable, but somewhat intriguing, old guy"

You get yourself an exotic skin on the apron of the loafer, like elephant. Can be very tasteful. Full-on gator can be risky yeah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads