• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe we'll have bespoke makers use goodyear and gemming soon, too?

Yes!! The triumph of mediocrity over exceptionalism!

At which point we can all proceed to wondering and/or 'discussing'...or in the case of the more discerning, lamenting... what the insole is made of. Leather or leatherboard? Leatherboard or pressed paper? And don't forget toe puffs and heel stiffs--pressed paper or celastic? Pros and cons...and always against the premise that 'affordable' (cheaper) and faster is better.

Or that 'better' is too elitist. So 'unwoke').

Oh!...my bad...we don't have to wait.

muscial_note1.gif
"Oh, happy day!"
musical_note5.gif

Last edited:

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes!! The triumph of mediocrity over exceptionalism!

At which point we can all proceed to wondering and/or 'discussing'...or in the case of the more discerning, lamenting... what the insole is made of. Leather or leatherboard? Leatherboard or pressed paper? And don't forget toe puffs and heel stiffs--rressed paper or celastic? Pros and cons...and always against the premise that 'affordable' (cheaper) and faster is better.

Or that 'better' is so elitist. So 'unwoke' (or should that be asleep?).

Oh!...my bad...we don't have to wait.
Glad to see you took the bait, @DWFII :-D

@daizawaguy here you go!
The heel of the G&G was interesting. The leather heel stiffener was quite thick, and was used in combination with what looked like a celastic/solvent heel stiffener.
20190629_164646.jpg 20190629_164625.jpg 20190629_164724.jpg 20190629_164542.jpg 20190629_164515.jpg 20190629_164509.jpg
And yes, these were always a little tight for me.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glad to see you took the bait, @DWFII :-D

@daizawaguy here you go!
The heel of the G&G was interesting. The leather heel stiffener was quite thick, and was used in combination with what looked like a celastic/solvent heel stiffener.
View attachment 1199496 View attachment 1199497 View attachment 1199498 View attachment 1199499 View attachment 1199500 View attachment 1199501
And yes, these were always a little tight for me.

Interesting.....
The gemming appears to be wider than typically seen.
That ought to help prevent the rare cases of slippage.
Still not as good as HW, but an improvement over an already effective method.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@daizawaguy here you go!
View attachment 1199500 View attachment 1199501

FWIW...from what I can see, the toe puff is celastic (or something very like it) with no leather reinforcing as on the heel stiff.

Don't see any real evidence that you cut the gemming free--looks pretty intact to me. Coming at it from the inside as you did, you could have slipped a screw driver under the insole to get it started and ripped it apart with your hands.

Or at least I suspect I could have.

Last edited:

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't see any real evidence that you cut the gemming free--looks pretty intact to me. Coming at it from the inside as you did, you could have slipped a screw driver under the insole to get it started and ripped it apart with your hands.

Or at least I suspect I could have.
I just ripped off the insole with a mix of cutting and using a screw driver. Will give the rib a go later :D

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
god i cant believe it worked. we're now literally arguing about gemming
Don't be so disingenuous...that was your intent all along.

You don't want to talk about gemming, don't bring it up!

Manuel

Reaction score
There's a very good article on gemming in shoegazing here.
I remember speaking something about this issue.......I think.....is here but this is of inferior quality nevertheless, much work still need to be done to improve handwelted.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks that there is a midsole on those, am I seeing that correctly? Also I heard that G&G puts some sort of webbing in between the upper vamp and lining to reduce creasing. Was any of that spotted?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pB,

Are you referring to @Stefan88 's post? No midsole...if I'm correct what you seeing as midsole is actually just the edge of the upper.

FWIW, I might point out that if @Stefan88 had tried to do the same thing with a HW shoe...esp. one made with quality insole shoulder, good hand wax and a shoemaker's stitch...chances are he would have had to cut the insole and outsole literally into pieces.

It might also be said that in GYW shoes the welt is fundamentally just for show. The cement that holds the gemming on is what holds the shoe together. At its most basic, it's 'cement construction'.

So it may come as no surprise, IIRC, that, in some of their models, G&G has unabashedly gone to full blown cement construction...no welt wanted.

Just saying'...

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If that were the case why bother stitching the sole to the welt?
It serves no purpose/function? I think not....

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it may come as no surprise, IIRC, that, in some of their models, G&G has unabashedly gone to full blown cement construction...no welt wanted.

Just saying'...
You're taking this out of proportions.
Yes, Gaziano & Girling has added some cemented shoes to their collection.
For light, soft and flexible summer shoes. The choice of construction serves a purpose that a welted shoe cannot.

It's clearly described on their web site, that it's a non-welted shoe.
An alternative to cemented construction for that shoe may be the blake, while goodyear or handwelting would defeat its purpose. Gaziano & Girling has several welted slip-on too.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I heard that G&G puts some sort of webbing in between the upper vamp and lining to reduce creasing. Was any of that spotted?

Here you go.
It's a suede, so not much creasing to be seen, and I'm not sure the purpose of the webbing is that.

As for the midsole, @DWFII got it right. It's from the uppers.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stefan88 - it would be good to post that on the GG site too. I'm surprised for a $1500-$2000 shoe the use of these synthetics - and that blue foam also doesn't fit well in my mind for a shoe in this price range. Heard there is also a foam of sorts under the insole, or is it only the blue part at the heel? There is something yellowish under the white gemming... Perhaps anyway, this discussion is better continued over at GG...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics