• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can not you read a single link? Why can't you make a small effort?

With all due respect, the main reason I cannot "read a single link" or "make a small effort" is that (I freely admit) I do not speak or read Spanish very well...certainly not well enough to want to spend the...immense (IMO)...effort.

But that's OK because you do not speak or read English very well...so we're even in that respect.

That, however is the definition of a language barrier.

And that too is OK...we, or at least I, try to be patient and muddle our way through what appears, and reads mostly, as non-sense. Up to a point. Beyond which someone has to point out that it's not making any sense--the Emperor has no clothes.

If you will recall, we explored the notion of a language barrier in another thread when you claimed that you never, ever used machines. Despite the sewing machines in your video. As if you get to define for us English speakers what a "machine" is. We all know what "machine" means (in English), even if you don't.

I'm not going to discuss this, I will not discuss this, it is absurd.

Well OK...your choice. But my only regret is that you didn't make that decision some pages/threads/time ago.
brick-wall-101.gif

Here's hoping you have the resolve to stick to that decision. :cheers:

Last edited:

Manuel

Reaction score
With all due respect, the main reason I cannot "read a single link" or "make a small effort" is that (I freely admit) I do not speak or read Spanish very well...certainly not well enough to want to spend the...immense (IMO)...effort.

But that's OK because you do not speak or read English very well...so we're even in that respect.

That, however is the definition of a language barrier.

And that too is OK...we, or at least I, try to be patient and muddle our way through what appears, and reads mostly, as non-sense. Up to a point. Beyond which someone has to point out that it's not making any sense--the Emperor has no clothes.

If you will recall, we explored the notion of a language barrier in another thread when you claimed that you never, ever used machines. Despite the sewing machines in your video. As if you get to define for us English speakers what a "machine" is. We all know what "machine" means (in English), even if you don't.

Well OK...your choice. But my only regret is that you didn't make that decision some pages/threads/time ago. View attachment 1198719

Here's hoping you have the resolve to stick to that decision. :cheers:
What is your problem with me DWFII?
You want me to stop uploading information, Why? Why this interest? Perhaps you wish particularly to explain us why.
You are the only one who complains.
I think I have uploaded a lot of information fully illustrated with photographs and technical details step by step.
I will be happy to explain again the subject of the machines but this time I will do it with photographs and step by step so that you understand it well.
Remember, I am from the south and I have unlimited patience. :cheers:
I always wish you the best, you are a nice guy.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is your problem with me DWFII?
You want me to stop uploading information, Why? Why this interest? Perhaps you wish particularly to explain us why.
You are the only one who complains.
I think I have uploaded a lot of information fully illustrated with photographs and technical details step by step.

I will be happy to explain again the subject of the machines but this time I will do it with photographs and step by step so that you understand it well.
We can also analyze your video would be very instructive for everyone.
I have had many "officers" wow! I´m sorry "no officers":box: journeyman similar to you and I have never had problems with them finally they understood everything perfectly.
Remember, I am from the south and I have unlimited patience. :cheers:
I always wish you the best, you are a nice guy.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I don't know what the problem is with you...I never mentioned anything about uploading information or photographs or videos or anything like that. Never criticized your shoemaking or shoes (although you have done that to me--post #1524). Clearly you have not...to quote your own words... "read well" or understood what you were reading.

I don't know what the problem is with you...I haven't said there was one. Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me what you think I'm saying the problem is.

That said,. I revisited the Shoemaking Traditions and Techniques thread this morning and was reminded of the controversy about the word "machines". You can say there is no language barrier but clearly there is if you think sewing machines are not machines. I don't need photographs to know that. And yes, I know the difference between "heavy machines" and sewing machines--the only real difference is weight and not much more. That's why they are both called machines and one is designated "heavy."

I don't know where you got the idea that "officers" is a synonym for "journeyman." How am I supposed to know what you mean? How is anyone to understand? We cannot read your mind. I'm trying to tell you that, like it or not, there are only two possibilities--either there is a language barrier or you're not "read(ing) well."

I honestly don't know what you're saying, or the point you're trying to make most of the time. And if @patrickBOOTH 's post is any indication, I'm not the only one. It's not just one misunderstood word...or two or ten. It's that there is a language barrier and your posts are almost incomprehensible sometimes. I'm sure it is the same from your side of the barrier but this is not a Spanish language forum and, with all due respect, I think the onus is on you.

All I really know, from re-reading your remarks in past exchanges with you, is that you think you are a master and that your work is "masterly" and that you don't like my work. And that you don't think there is a language barrier. Oh! And that you never ever use machines.

shrug2.gif

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And since there is a language barrier...or at least I think there is sufficient evidence that a strong case can be made that there is...why don't we just agree to let it go?

I have tried to be patient and to decipher your meanings long after everyone else quit trying. Unlike you, however, I do not have unlimited patience (my failing) and, with all due respect, I begin to suspect that it's simply not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The language is not the barrier DW. I do not understand THE Master either, even when I had shared with him some shoe topics in our native language before him joining SF. Food for thought. Cheers.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The language is not the barrier DW. I do not understand THE Master either, even when I had shared with him some shoe topics in our native language before him joining SF. Food for thought. Cheers.

My only point is that there is some sort of barrier here--I don't understand what he's saying and clearly he's not understanding my remarks either. I don't want to believe that his thought processes work so differently from everyone else's that he is always going to be incomprehensible....in any language. And there are native English speakers on this forum who are almost as incomprehensible.

So I assume (perhaps mistakenly) that the problem is his translation from Spanish to English--that's the kindest, most generous explanation I can come up with. Esp. since I don't speak or read or write Spanish myself.

And FWIW, I have never, ever had a problem understanding your posts. .

:cheers:

Last edited:

Manuel

Reaction score
I don't know what the problem is with you...I never mentioned anything about uploading information or photographs or videos or anything like that. Never criticized your shoemaking or shoes (although you have done that to me--post #1524). Clearly you have not...to quote your own words... "read well" or understood what you were reading.

I don't know what the problem is with you...I haven't said there was one. Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me what you think I'm saying the problem is.

That said,. I revisited the Shoemaking Traditions and Techniques thread this morning and was reminded of the controversy about the word "machines". You can say there is no language barrier but clearly there is if you think sewing machines are not machines. I don't need photographs to know that. And yes, I know the difference between "heavy machines" and sewing machines--the only real difference is weight and not much more. That's why they are both called machines and one is designated "heavy."

I don't know where you got the idea that "officers" is a synonym for "journeyman." How am I supposed to know what you mean? How is anyone to understand? We cannot read your mind. I'm trying to tell you that, like it or not, there are only two possibilities--either there is a language barrier or you're not "read(ing) well."

I honestly don't know what you're saying, or the point you're trying to make most of the time. And if @patrickBOOTH 's post is any indication, I'm not the only one. It's not just one misunderstood word...or two or ten. It's that there is a language barrier and your posts are almost incomprehensible sometimes. I'm sure it is the same from your side of the barrier but this is not a Spanish language forum and, with all due respect, I think the onus is on you.

All I really know, from re-reading your remarks in past exchanges with you, is that you think you are a master and that your work is "masterly" and that you don't like my work. And that you don't think there is a language barrier. Oh! And that you never ever use machines.

View attachment 1198933

And in a small tangent--my remarks in post #1280 of this thread (which seemed to upset you so greatly--post #1289) were in response to your comment:

FWIW....
Of course I understand now, you don't accept the criticism, that is your real problem I had not realized.

I had taken for granted that this topic was closed but you, after a long time, come back with the same, I think you are a spiteful person.
Well, I'll try to explain something very important that you should know.
When a person, you, me, he ... upload something to the network you have to be prepared for the criticism and accept them, if you do not know how to accept them then you don't upload anything and so no one will criticize you.

Now I understand why you continually argue with each other. A short time ago you also said that you would not participate anymore in Styleforum and ......... always ends here .........

As I said before. I have uploaded a lot of information to the fully documented forum and I am always prepared to accept any criticism, good or bad, because I am aware of it.

You are wrong again, I have never said that I am a great teacher, you do not read well, I take 2 "gap years" in white without making shoes and this is the third, I don't think I will do it again because I needed to change jobs and I can choose where I want to work, there are many people who cannot, so everything I do, when I like the order is for Styleforum and the forum of a good friend in Spain, I do not live to make shoes.
I only need 20 seconds watching someone as he moves his blade to know if a craftsman is good, regular or bad.

I only try to show how the shoes are made to measure so that people understand the work processes. I have no commercial interest or need to be continuously praised.

I agree to end this conversation and if you do not like my posts, do not read or don´t see them but I, unlike you, I admit all criticisms, I have no problem.

You can write whatever you want, I will not answer again.
Now let's see how spectator shoes are made.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're right, I'm not fond of criticism esp. from people who, IMO, have no right to criticize...which is why I have never criticized you personally or your work (although you have criticized me and my work repeatedly).

Or any other maker, for that matter. I've walked in those moccasins--I know what it takes.

No matter. You asked me what was wrong with you and I said I didn't know. I refused to criticize you.

But now you seem to know what is wrong with me. Again.

And again. And again...ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

1) My participation in this forum is between me and Admin (and all those members who asked me to reconsider)...and none of your business.

FWIW, I still don't post just because I get a wild hair up my backside to comment. I only post on issues I know something about and/or threads I started.

2) I never said anything about you claiming to be a "great teacher"--fake news. Again.

And again. And again...ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

3) I don't think I am particularly spiteful but I don't tolerate rudeness. And I will not let it go unanswered.

4) As far as "admit(ting) all criticisms", well, speaking only for myself, I have never claimed to be a master or even "masterly." Just the opposite, in fact. Repeatedly.

I will not answer again.

Promise?

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is it always the kibitzers--those who haven't participated in a discussion, are new to the forum, and/or know little or nothing about the subject at hand?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gentlemen, let us not fight and instead come together on something we can all agree on: gemming
Did we agree on if gemming is okay or not? I don't remember what the forum settled on.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did we agree on if gemming is okay or not? I don't remember what the forum settled on.

At this point, it isn't so much whether it is OK or not but whether it's "good enough."

Although you can't talk about gemming without talking about GY and there's a whole 'nuther reality out there that can't distinguish between it and HW.

And @dieworkwear...speak for yourself. I never claimed to be a "gentleman" anymore than I claimed to be a "master." I'm lower middle class, if that, and a rough auld crabbit as a matter of principle.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads