• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bbqthis

Reaction score
Jokes about beautiful wives and friends aside, what is the reason why a maker would punch additional holes in the upper to hold the facings instead of just using the lacing holes?

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 356

bbqthis

Reaction score
It’s how it was always done in the west end, much more secure in keeping facings aligned when lasting, doesn’t stetch eyelets out of shape and the lace leaves a dent in the facings and tongues
Thank you so much for the answer! I find it odd that such a destructive process would be traditional. I suppose the thought is the laces will conceal the holes, especially when laced straight bar?

marlinspike

Reaction score
I like the subtle marbling a lot, my only change would be to make the whole shoe the same as the cap.

colton2e

Reaction score
Question to any bespoke makers on here: how rare is it to have toes wider than the ball of the foot?

My 5th toe is long and wide and I have a fairly square “Roman foot” where the first 3 toes are essentially straight across and the 4th and 5th are just a bit shorter. To make matters worse the 5th to splays out maybe 5mm wider than the joint. Because of this there are basically no RTW lasts that fit me.

Is this something you’ve seen before in your experience? It’s getting to the point where I think bespoke/semi-bespoke might be my only option besides shoes that are unstructured enough to not crush that 5th toe

w.efelaborde

Reaction score
Question to any bespoke makers on here: how rare is it to have toes wider than the ball of the foot?

My 5th toe is long and wide and I have a fairly square “Roman foot” where the first 3 toes are essentially straight across and the 4th and 5th are just a bit shorter. To make matters worse the 5th to splays out maybe 5mm wider than the joint. Because of this there are basically no RTW lasts that fit me.

Is this something you’ve seen before in your experience? It’s getting to the point where I think bespoke/semi-bespoke might be my only option besides shoes that are unstructured enough to not crush that 5th toe
It's not that unusual..
It gets trickier for the last maker when a similar situation occurs with the big toe, stylistically it gets a little challenging.

Depending on your morphology and 'type' of foot (fleshy/boney) generally the best approach is to apply gentle pressure in the muscle area behind the ball on the lateral side of the foot, which draws the toe in without applying direct pressure on it. This should provide support when you walk and remedy the 'line' of the shoe

colton2e

Reaction score
It's not that unusual..
It gets trickier for the last maker when a similar situation occurs with the big toe, stylistically it gets a little challenging.

Depending on your morphology and 'type' of foot (fleshy/boney) generally the best approach is to apply gentle pressure in the muscle area behind the ball on the lateral side of the foot, which draws the toe in without applying direct pressure on it. This should provide support when you walk and remedy the 'line' of the shoe
Interesting approach but I’m not sure it would work for me. I underpronate which is why my outer toes stick out. I usually rip through the uppers of all my sneakers after a while since my 5th toes push out with so much force.

marlinspike

Reaction score
What is the name of the device one steps on and leaves the impression of your foot on carbon paper? If this is an expensive device, anybody know of a way to rent one for one time use?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Harris mat. They’re like $200.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for resoling bespoke shoes, other than sending them back to the original maker?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads