• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also dislike faux patinas. The rare exception is Edward Green, although, in recent years, I've seen some examples from them that look tacky. Haven't bought EG shoes in a long time, but ten years ago, the patination service there was very subtle and tasteful. Now some of them look like those services where someone paints your shoe with a paintbrush.

I think my aversion to wholecuts is

1) The look taxidermic somewhat to me, although the same can prob be said of split toes, a style I love

2) I don't think I've ever seen them look good in outfits.

3) I also think people buy them because they supposedly require a lot of skill to make. If it were the easiest style to make, I wonder how many people would still purchase them.

wholecut to me has to be sleek or on a very dressy last at least (else it make any bubbulous shoe extra bad, like imagine Alden Barrie wholecut), and I think that’s not part of your wardrobe so maybe that’s why?

though I have no idea why chelsea doesn’t have to be sleek but a non sleek wholecut is borderline hospital shoe to me…

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like wholectuts.

The iconic Alessandro from Berluti is based on a model made in allegedly 1895 for Marcel Proust (I read that somewhere, but cannot find the source).

12424721_487372231463835_1607576110_n.jpg
heritagebottier_lesfondateurs_11.jpg
Original Berluti Alessandro.jpg

I wonder if he was not inspired bz the traditional Bavarian Haferl shoes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like wholectuts.

The iconic Alessandro from Berluti is based on a model made in allegedly 1895 for Marcel Proust (I read that somewhere, but cannot find the source).

View attachment 1709405 View attachment 1709406 View attachment 1709407

I wonder if he was not inspired bz the traditional Bavarian Haferl shoes.
Pretty sure the Proust thing is horseshit. Berluti claims that is Proust's shoe in their second book. In their first book they claim the exact same shoe was made for a competition. Also worth noting that Berluti claims it was founded in 1895, but that's just when the first Berluti arrived in Paris. Reading between the lines, I think he did outwork (ie working for other shoemakers) in Montmartre. Berluti's first book says he left and went back to Italy in 1901 or so. It was his son Torello (?) who came back to Paris in the 1920s and actually opened a Berluti shop.

Proust was not a country guy and those shoes are kind of country looking. Celeste Albaret wrote that he invariably only bought one style of shoe, button boots, and those were from Old England.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Proust thing is horseshit. Berluti claims that is Proust's shoe in their second book. In their first book they claim the exact same shoe was made for a competition. Also worth noting that Berluti claims it was founded in 1895, but that's just when the first Berluti arrived in Paris. Reading between the lines, I think he did outwork (ie working for other shoemakers) in Montmartre. Berluti's first book says he left and went back to Italy in 1901 or so. It was his son Torello (?) who came back to Paris in the 1920s and actually opened a Berluti shop.

Proust was not a country guy and those shoes are kind of country looking. Celeste Albaret wrote that he invariably only bought one style of shoe, button boots, and those were from Old England.

Goodness me.

It is possible it could be true though. There's only a difference of 25 to 30 years. Nothing could have occurred within that time ?.

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Berluti? More like Be-Ugly

I assumed those pieces you put up were from older models Berluti had made previously made. Figured him writing some nonsense on those clothes was a precursor to sports signed memorabilia.

Wish I had a Babe Ruth signed shirt that the Babe actually played in.

In any case, those are horrible. Saying that, I could certainly see folks on here or on certain Facebook threads going Black Friday-door opening-at - midnight-crazy for this stuff. ??‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads