• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I struggle with these types of "is it worth it" calculations because it seems so personal and emotional to me. Setting aside that people have different budgets, so much of what I get out of any piece of clothing is tied to my very subjective resonance with some object. These sorts of cold calculations about fit and longevity only go so far. I fit fine into RTW and haven't resoled any of my shoes in more than ten years (I simply own too many). But I buy and wear certain things because it's fun.

If you could press a button on Amazon and get a perfect shoe delivered the next day, I don't think I would care. I imagine what I get out of my bespoke shoes isn't that different from what someone gets out of a hyped sneaker, or what a kid feels putting on cool clothes. I think to figure out whether bespoke is "worth it," you just have to try it and see if you enjoy it.

I would be generalizing with this statement, but I believe those that consider the worthiness of a Bespoke purchase tend to purchase via a check list or a specification sheet. Purchasing in that manner removes the emotional or personal experience of a project, and becomes strictly an objective acquisition.

For those that do purchase via bullet point, no judgment from me. You save a lot more money, yet still end up with a beautiful pair of shoes.

Different perspectives is all. No right or wrong method here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if I'm buying bespoke I'm definitely buying "beautiful", though it better fit as well..., and I'll absolutely make the mental note it's not "worth" it, just another not so smart use of money but I like it kind of thing... (which I can say to most purchase in my life...)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I'm buying bespoke I'm definitely buying "beautiful", though it better fit as well..., and I'll absolutely make the mental note it's not "worth" it, just another not so smart use of money but I like it kind of thing... (which I can say to most purchase in my life...)

A whole generation of people are dating or choosing to go on dates based on looks and specs. So, there's nothing wrong with selecting a pair of shoes based on beauty.

In ten years after continuous use, I can assure you the shoes will still look good after routine maintenance, recraft, or refurbishment ??. The mate will certainly require 3x to 4x that initial amount to continue looking as good.

Mmmm..high end shoes are cheaper in the long run. ?

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A whole generation of people are dating or choosing to go on dates based on looks and specs. So, there's nothing wrong with selecting a pair of shoes based on beauty.

In ten years after continuous use, I can assure you the shoes will still look good after a routine maintenance, recraft, or refurbishment ??. The mate will certainly require 3x to 4x that initial amount to continue looking as good.

Mmmm..high end shoes are cheaper in the long run. ?
I think dating is a good analogy as you mentioned, cause fit is very important too ;)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think dating is a good analogy as you mentioned, cause fit is very important too ;)

Fit is definitely important. Most important I'd argue.

In my youth, I would have said, "I can make this work". If the fit was off and to justify the more beautiful option. These days I'm more like, "it better fit cause I just can't make it work".

Fit trumps looks in my book, although I don't necessarily want the worst looking one of the bunch. ??‍♂️

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree fit is important but if it doesn't catch the eye in the first place kind just not going to happen... (now how low can you go is different story)...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree fit is important but if it doesn't catch the eye in the first place kind just not going to happen... (now how low can you go is different story)...

You aren't kidding about beauty catching the eye. I think that almost every time I go to the park with my boys something catches my eye. I fall in love almost every weekend. I tend to fall more in love though during the Spring/Summer time. Not sure why that is ?.

Boggis

Reaction score
You aren't kidding about beauty catching the eye. I think that almost every time I go to the park with my boys something catches my eye. I fall in love almost every weekend. I tend to fall more in love though during the Spring/Summer time. Not sure why that is ?.
We're still talking about shoes here, yes? :)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder how much of that is impacted by what shoes you’re able to fit relatively well in. If you’re an easy fit and can basically MTO anything you want or go walk out with a pair that day I’d imagine bespoke would have a very high bar of looks and fit to overcome. If you can’t find a good loafer fit though then maybe a Japanese-Italian maker starts looking awfully appealing.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I struggle with these types of "is it worth it" calculations because it seems so personal and emotional to me. Setting aside that people have different budgets, so much of what I get out of any piece of clothing is tied to my very subjective resonance with some object. These sorts of cold calculations about fit and longevity only go so far. I fit fine into RTW and haven't resoled any of my shoes in more than ten years (I simply own too many). But I buy and wear certain things because it's fun.

If you could press a button on Amazon and get a perfect shoe delivered the next day, I don't think I would care. I imagine what I get out of my bespoke shoes isn't that different from what someone gets out of a hyped sneaker, or what a kid feels putting on cool clothes. I think to figure out whether bespoke is "worth it," you just have to try it and see if you enjoy it.

My tailor said it better than I ever could have, "at the end of the day, bespoke is about investing in and building a relationship. If you don't want that, bespoke probably isn't right for you."

There is no inherently better or worse, and despite many people's desire to make it so, there is no linear relationship between price and quality.

In my mind, all of this is a balancing act between: good, good enough and good for me. A lot of the rest is humble bragging and posturing.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no inherently better or worse, and despite many people's desire to make it so, there is no linear relationship between price and quality.

Today I saw a pair of RTW shoes from "Kiton" priced at $ 3750 at my
local Nieman Marcus. They looked good but priced like bespoke.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of bespoke shoes was very good. I had never worn shoes so comfortable before. That said, I did pick up a few areas of improvement for later shoes. It helped that he was very communicative and receptive to feedback. That can't be said for a lot of bespoke craftsman (shoe, suits, etc) in the clothing industry.

I had another pair of bespoke shoes made by someone else. Not comfortable at all. But it was more of a trial because the cost was about 1/6 of the other maker I used. Only made me appreciate the first shoemaker more.

basu13

Reaction score
My first two pairs of bespoke/custom made shoes. Made by a local "unknown" shoemaker in my city. The first two pairs I got made are classic black Oxfords which I can wear to office regularly. Workmanship is quite good though obviously not comparable in any way to the high end bespoke makers around the world - frankly, I do not have and do not see myself having the budget for that level of bespoke shoes ever. Price brackets are thus completely different. This is a local maker who makes entry level bespoke shoes, but with honest craftsmanship. What I really love is the glove-like fit and everything being made to personal specifications. In many ways, better than much more expensive ready to wear stuff. Some suede penny loafers with well defined chisel toes are next on the agenda - yes, I dig chisel toes !

IMG_20210917_153633__01__01.jpg
IMG_20210916_091541__01.jpg

IMG_20210916_091610__01.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads