• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was born with narrow feet. On a Brannock device I measured an AAA for decades. This got me into higher quality shoes early as I could not find my width in the average shoe brand ... in the great majority of shoe brands. I made the switch relatively early to bespoke. I loved the shoes that the Cleverley fellows (started with them back in their Poulsen, Skone & Co. days) made for me. BUT, about 15 years ago my feet started to get wider. At first I put up with the tighter shoes (not that uncomfortable initially) I owned and had new ones made to fit the then current width. When even the new shoes began to grow tight I went to a podiatrist. He informed me this is not that unusual as one ages. I remember shouting, "HOW DO I STOP IT, I have bespoke shoes." He laughed.

I could not stop the widening and my feet have continued to widen. I am now on the cusp between a B and a C. That is still relatively narrow but is a far cry from AAA. Given the cost, I have not been able to justify bespoke shoes while this is happening. I am left to shop with the better makers offering narrower widths in ready-made.

You younger fellows have something to look forward to ... but hopefully, not.

A few years back I found a pair of shoes made for me in the 80s. When we moved from New York to California they had just arrived and I tucked them away unopened in a box with odd items. I forgot about the shoes and that box didn't get opened for about 25 years. Because of this condition, I have a gorgeous pair of bespoke Oxford that have never been worn. I can't even squeeze into them. Someone suggested I sell them, but I just can't do it. I still admire then from time to time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was born with narrow feet. On a Brannock device I measured an AAA for decades. This got me into higher quality shoes early as I could not find my width in the average shoe brand ... in the great majority of shoe brands. I made the switch relatively early to bespoke. I loved the shoes that the Cleverley fellows (started with them back in their Poulsen, Skone & Co. days) made for me. BUT, about 15 years ago my feet started to get wider. At first I put up with the tighter shoes (not that uncomfortable initially) I owned and had new ones made to fit the then current width. When even the new shoes began to grow tight I went to a podiatrist. He informed me this is not that unusual as one ages. I remember shouting, "HOW DO I STOP IT, I have bespoke shoes." He laughed.

I could not stop the widening and my feet have continued to widen. I am now on the cusp between a B and a C. That is still relatively narrow but is a far cry from AAA. Given the cost, I have not been able to justify bespoke shoes while this is happening. I am left to shop with the better makers offering narrower widths in ready-made.

A few years back I found a pair of shoes made for me in the 80s. When we moved from New York to California they had just arrived and I tucked them away unopened in a box with odd items. I forgot about the shoes and that box didn't get opened for about 25 years. Because of this condition, I have a gorgeous pair of bespoke Oxford that have never been worn. I can't even squeeze into them. Someone suggested I sell them, but I just can't do it. I still admire then from time to time.
I have a story I am writing inspired by your forgotten shoes. Be well my friend.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

*Looks up from his bespoke shoe planning* ... when did this widening start?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

care to share some pictures?

marlinspike

Reaction score

I don't mean to be rude, just curious - this occurred without any weight gain?

marlinspike

Reaction score
Also, where do you gentleman fall on crocodile? I really like them, but much like how I really like green cordovan, not sure how I would actually wear it.

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, just curious - this occurred without any weight gain?
No weight gain. I can still wear coats that Anderson & Sheppard made for me in the 80's. Back then Colin Harvey was my cutter. I really miss that man.

care to share some pictures?
I assume you mean the unworn shoes? I will tomorrow. I'll put them side by side with some loafers by the same maker (fortunately not lost and worn).

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, where do you gentleman fall on crocodile? I really like them, but much like how I really like green cordovan, not sure how I would actually wear it.

guess depends on how you plan to wear them and where you live...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was thinking about getting croc penny loafers for a while. I once had lunch with Will from ASW and he wore these

tumblr_inline_onvjddd6oS1qfex1b_540.jpg

I really like how Will looked in them, so had it in my mind to order a pair one day. RTW croc doesn't appeal very much to me -- the designs often dont' look great or the skins don't look very good. So I thought about getting a pair bespoke (the above were made by Cleverley).

I asked a few friends of mine who own bespoke croc penny loafers what they think of their shoes. One said that he doesn't wear his very much because he finds them to be very loud. Another just recently received his and said he likes them, but is not sure if the style would suit me. I'm still somewhat on the fence about it. In the meantime, I'm just getting a pair of suede tassel loafers while I mull.

Outside of penny loafers, I don't care for croc shoes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a story I am writing inspired by your forgotten shoes. Be well my friend.
I'm told I should get on Twitter or Instagram and chat with you and Vox. I may have to look into how that is done. ;-)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TLDR: Not for sale: bespoke shoes, never worn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads