• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything I have seen from Wegan / Catella has blown me away. It's similar enough to G&G that the inspiration is clear but different enough to know that he has put his own spin on shoemaking.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything I have seen from Wegan / Catella has blown me away. It's similar enough to G&G that the inspiration is clear but different enough to know that he has put his own spin on shoemaking.

Totally agree with that. Which is what he aimed on with Catella. Think it will become clearer and clearer as new samples are done and shoes are finished for customers (think he has a whole bunch of fitting shoes just waiting for the chance for him to travel overseas again and meet all clients he met at trunk shows organised in the US just before COVID broke, so once that happens and he can do the final shoes lots of new stuff will show up).

marlinspike

Reaction score
Man, I'm always so jealous of people who don't have duck feet. Those are beautiful.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm always so jealous of people who don't have duck feet. Those are beautiful.

Ha, I'm famous for my duck feet. Very wide, short toes, sensitive and ****** to work with for the makers. You can get nice looking lasts anyway, with good lastmakers.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Ha, I'm famous for my duck feet. Very wide, short toes, sensitive and ****** to work with for the makers. You can get nice looking lasts anyway, with good lastmakers.

The widest part of my footprint is just in front of my ankle, my arch (well lack of) is rigid, cannot be done. I would have to crush that shoe to wear it (in fact, the shoe that Maftei made that solved my pain, it is 13 inches long from heel to toe but only 1.5 inch does not touch the ground).

I was in the Alden DC store when they were opening the new location and the VP was there after looking at my feet she tried to put a couple of shoes on and then said there was not a single last they had that I would be able to wear. I'm supposed to have a surgery, but the surgery has a 50% success rate and for the other 50% some of them end up with partial paralysis in the foot, so....no. lol.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The widest part of my footprint is just in front of my ankle, my arch (well lack of) is rigid, cannot be done. I would have to crush that shoe to wear it (in fact, the shoe that Maftei made that solved my pain, it is 13 inches long from heel to toe but only 1.5 inch does not touch the ground).

I was in the Alden DC store when they were opening the new location and the VP was there after looking at my feet she tried to put a couple of shoes on and then said there was not a single last they had that I would be able to wear. I'm supposed to have a surgery, but the surgery has a 50% success rate and for the other 50% some of them end up with partial paralysis in the foot, so....no. lol.

Yeah, sounds like your feet are more tricky than mine I guess ?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always figure out a good looking last no matter how bad a client thinks their feet are, just need to take the time to find it. In some ways, the worse the foot the easier the job is

marlinspike

Reaction score
You can always figure out a good looking last no matter how bad a client thinks their feet are, just need to take the time to find it. In some ways, the worse the foot the easier the job is

1615073380544.png

The shaded area represents how much of the foot can be made not to touch the ground if supported (beyond that isn't possible, I used to only wear blake stitches shoes because they more quickly crush to fit, though even GYW shoes crush to fit eventually), and the bony protrusion part has to be forced up off from weight bearing (being barefoot is painful for instance). Do you think something so striking can really be done with that footprint?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, what do you mean?

In that if someone comes to you, having never had a well fitting or good looking shoe in their whole life, you can really give them something they’ll cherish. From a lastmaking point of view, a foot is a foot, you’re fitting a shape - how “attractive” it is doesn’t really come into my mind, I’m just trying to work out how to get the best I can from it. I think there’s always a good shape that’ll suit the person to be found, I take into account the person, what they wear, body shape etc as much as the piece of paper with measurements when I make a last. If someone comes to you in any line of work, say you’re a chef, they tell you everything they ever ate in their life was delicious, 3 Michelin star food, but they want you to wow them - what do you cook for them?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1568787

The shaded area represents how much of the foot can be made not to touch the ground if supported (beyond that isn't possible, I used to only wear blake stitches shoes because they more quickly crush to fit, though even GYW shoes crush to fit eventually), and the bony protrusion part has to be forced up off from weight bearing (being barefoot is painful for instance). Do you think something so striking can really be done with that footprint?
It depends what you mean by “striking”. I am sure you could have a good looking pair of shoes, but without seeing your actual feet it’s hard to say exactly - whoever if you wanted something of a certain aesthetic that’s simply too small then there’s an issue to address. We’re still bound by physics sadly

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely shoes - as far as I understand these are relasted from an earlier pair that had too much volume across the vamp when they were made at GG by Daniel - Interested to hear more about this - I mean the fitting and relasting - how much changes can be made to a shoe? I also read that the final trees get made after using the shoes for a while - a very sensible idea given that small fitting issues become evident after you wear the shoes for a while.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had clients come to me explaining they’ve never had a comfortable shoe, every day has been a painful experience, all they want is something comfortable and don’t care how bad they look. One chap at the fitting looked at the shoes and told me they don’t look like they’ll fit before trying them on, but when you give someone that comfort they’ve been looking for and they also look better than they dreamed they could, in a small way you’ve just improved their life. One of the most satisfying feelings in shoemaking IMO, better than all the fancy fiddle waist chisel toe show off stuff

marlinspike

Reaction score
I’ve had clients come to me explaining they’ve never had a comfortable shoe, every day has been a painful experience, all they want is something comfortable and don’t care how bad they look. One chap at the fitting looked at the shoes and told me they don’t look like they’ll fit before trying them on, but when you give someone that comfort they’ve been looking for and they also look better than they dreamed they could, in a small way you’ve just improved their life. One of the most satisfying feelings in shoemaking IMO, better than all the fancy fiddle waist chisel toe show off stuff

That's how I felt when I got that pair of wingtips I posted here (my second pair of shoes from him). I actually turned to my wife when I opened the box and said "I don't know why he did this, what is he thinking changing my last like this this obviously won't fit me," and after wearing them they're like medicine.
That said, while they look good, I know my shoes will never be the ones he posts to his IG.

I wanted to respond to your saying "in a small way you've just improved their life." You should know it is not a small way at all. I feel like I got my life back, and I'm sure your clients who are similarly situated feel the same. It doesn't just relieve you from pain every single day, but it makes it so you can enjoy nice things like travelling or going for a walk on a nice day. It completely changes your life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads